Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Title and vehicle history
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Title and vehicle history
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Title and vehicle history Reply with quote

Well I finally got my M 38 running and ready for the road. It's been a long project being I started with not even a complete jeep. Big thanks to this site for the help!

Two questions;

I never had a title but have a clear bill of sale and the MC tag and vehicle number; do I need to request a title from anywhere special being it's a military vehicle?

Also is there anyway I can get the history of the vehicle with the tag number so I can have the authentic markings and numbers put on it?

Thanks, Appreciate all the help!

Heut
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the state in the US and where ever else you may be located.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The various States and Countries vary widely in their title and registration laws. Your first step is to visit the web site of your governing agency and review their title and registration requirements. If you find there will be problems then first get legal advice from an attorney qualified to deal with those problems in your agency's jurisdiction.

As for your second question the military did not retain any historical records on wheeled MV's once they were surplussed out. The only way to determine any of the vehicle's history is from the markings found on each layer of paint.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
heut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Wes I really appreciate all of your expertise. I will pursue the title and then work on the other issue. Unfortunately most of the panels were missing and there is not much left of the original body.

Thanks again guys
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titles are a real can of worms. I wouldn't show your hand until you have all info. found that your state requires. The attourney thing is the first time I've seen that mentioned. Shocked It's that serious for sure. Since your body is shot, I'd not rule out buying another Jeep that does have a title and build one out of the two. I bought a M38 at a auction with a title that was signed by one of the sons. The mother had given them power of attourney to sign it. It was in the fathers name only. 3 months later and the auctioneer providing a death certificate, and copy of the will, and many phone calls, I got a title. The last time I called the state DMV, they WOULD NOT tell me that it had already been sent. Things have really changed. A rebuilders title in SD requires a serial number search first. If not salvage or stolen, then you must have bill of sales for everything you buy. When it's finished being built, they inspect it and then charge you 3 % sales tax on ALL receipts!!!!!!! You should go to Steel Soldiers and read up on what's happening in Ia. Ill. Wis. on MV titles! It's not good. John
kendak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: title Reply with quote

in Mississippi they will NOT issue a title on any type of MV... I had to change my M38 over to a Cj2a to get a title ....it took 6 weeks of back & forth with the tax office & a notarized Title Bond from the state of South Dakota [nobody can tell me why SD ?] & a notarized power of attorney from SD & a notarized bill of sale & a notarized affidavit of ownership before I could get a Miss. title to a CJ2a with my M38 serial #...a total CF...after all that I was told that I could get ins. & a inspection sticker & a tag WITHOUT a title !!! Mad
'51 M38, '52 M38, CJ3B, CJ2A, MVPA #34129, NRA Life, Extra Class N5MCZ
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
after all that I was told that I could get ins. & a inspection sticker & a tag WITHOUT a title !!!

That is a possiblity that is often overlooked. Many states will allow you to register and plate a vehicle without getting it titled by that state. The reasoning is if the state issues you a title and it turns out later that the vehicle is not legally yours the state then acquires a bit of the legal liability for the title they issued.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
timjuhl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Title process Reply with quote

In Michigan, all I had to do was present a bill of sale showing the serial number. DMV then ran the number to see if there were any claims against it and finding none, issued the title. The fee was based upon a written appraisal of the value of the Jeep at the time of purchase. I haven't plated it yet but the title cost $27 based upon an appraised value of $200.

Sounds like I got off pretty easy.....

Tim
kendak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: title Reply with quote

good luck after I got my title two weeks later I got a letter stating that it was null & void ...after spending $500 & 4mo. I quit....I'll run drive it & pay a fine if I get cought....Kent
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent,

Don't leave us hanging! Shocked

What reason for nulling your title did they give you?

kendak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: title Reply with quote

now they want a notarized death cert. and/or bill of sale from the first owner & from every other owner since the jeep was built... also title bond has to be increased from $5000 to $10,000 ....talking to these people you would think I was the only person in the state of MS. that has done this but I know that can't be right.... I don't have the time to play with them anymore...Kent... Mad
DJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not the proper way,but there must be jeeps being scrapped that have titles. Data plates are available, rivets are available,I'm not advocating breaking any laws, but sometimes a little ingenuity must be used. I can see it now "Black Market titles" meet me in the" Piggly Wiggly
parking lot after dark ,bring cash, blink lights three times, leave envelope under bench ,return in twenty minutes for title.
kendak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: title Reply with quote

the orginal Data plates are on it & I don't see how changing them would help anything...tub plate, dash data plates & engine are all orginal & I would like to leave it that way ...thanks Smile
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always register it in a state that is easier and simpler to register in - that you may also have a valid address too.
In my case I used my parents address in NJ. I was only required to show my ID, they had an old record of me at that address, and they used the old registration document and the bill of sale to check the VIN, add the necessary additional numbers to match current NJ VINs and then issue me the title and registration and plate.
A few years later I moved the registration up to MA using my NJ details. All legal and simple.
I would have thought that Mississippi being in the South and away from the "Progressive" liberal whack-jobs we have in MA and CA would not be this hung up on nonsensical BS.
Do you have another address in another state where you would be able to legally register it?
timjuhl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Titles Reply with quote

I have a parts Jeep that when I'm all done with it will be going to the scrap heap. It bothers me because I have a clear Michigan title for it. The title simply says 1962 Willys 2 door and keeps the 5 digit serial number.

I've been debating what to do with it.... I suppose if someone buys the pieces that are left they are legally entitled to the title..... I asked my friend the county sheriff and he was of the opinion that such would be the case.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: