Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bumper unit help needed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bumper unit help needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk317

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Bumper unit help needed. Reply with quote

I am needing help on what the designation should be on my bumper. I want to honor my dad who passed away a little over a year ago. He was in the Elution islands during WWII. He never talked much about his assignment. From his DD214 he was assigned to the 3067th Ordinance Service Company. Having searched the web, from what I can find the 3067th was a part of the 1469th AAF. He was, according to the DD214, a truck driver light 345. I do know he received a partial disability check every month. He had been knocked unconscious for a time when a tank lid fell on him.

I am wanting the best guess as to what the identification on the bumpers should be. Thanks!

Dirk317
Brian N5BPH
1954 M38A1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to Jon's Jeep Draw web site and download the AR850-5 marking regulation which explains how to mark the jeep. They have two versions of the Reg. 1942 & 1944. Just use the one that matches the dates of your Dad's service.

You'll find the two regs about 2/3 rd's of the way down the page here:
http://www.jeepdraw.com/

Quote:
Complete 1942 AR 850-5 Marking of Clothing, Equipment, Vehicles & Property 5Mb

Complete 1944 AR 850-5 Trailer Marking Pages from the 1944 AR 850-5 147 Kb

Keep in mind that the reg was the basic guideline. Individual commands and bases were allowed leeway in tailoring their markings to meet their needs. To get a better idea of what and how you should mark a vehicle research any web sites for that unit and look for vehicle photos in the period of time you are looking for.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Dirk317

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read those, but I am still not sure how it should look. I am hoping some of the more savvy users could give more guidance and advice on the specific layout. Maybe even more information as to the proper units and commands that he would have been assigned to based on the information I provided.

Thanks!

Dirk317
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find a lot of WWII vets hanging out here to give you some insight on how the AR850-5 was applied at the remote AAF's in Alaska.

Try to spend a little time with the AR850 to understand it better while searching Army Air Forces historical sites. Not only Alaskan Air Command but some of the more common stateside CONUS WWII units and their vehicle markings will give you an idea of what was used 68 years ago. The Wikipedia is a good start and offer a lot of links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_World_War_II_Army_Airfields

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleventh_Air_Force

http://forum.armyairforces.com/Help-with-Alaska-Ordnance-Companies-m65996.aspx

Based on what I have read tonight it looks like your Dad's unit was at:

Quote:
Marks Army Airfield, 64°30′44″N 165°26′43″W
Nome, Alaska Territory
Constructed 1942, opened 1 July. Used by Air Transport Command as refueling/servicing airfield for Lend-Lease aircraft being flown to Siberia by Soviet Red Air Force pilots. Host unit was 1469th AAFBU. Alaskan Division, ATC. Renamed Marks Army Airfield, 1942. Transferred to Eleventh Air Force, then to Alaskan Air Command, 1945

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: