Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Finding numbers for 1960 M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding numbers for 1960 M38A1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockytop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys, newbie here. I just purchased I believe to be a 1960 M38A1. I have yet to find any numbers on the frame or body. Looks as if all has been removed. I did find a serial number located above the water pump it reads MD 24545. The jeep I was told came out of Colorado. I want to know as much as possible about the jeep if possible. If anyone has any info about the serial number or where I can look for a vin/serial number on the frame or body please let me know. Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will assume you do not have a Canadian M38A1 nor a Dutch NEKAF M38A1. Willys only placed three primary serial numbers on the jeep at the factory.

1-Dash serial plate.
2-Patent plate behind the passenger seat on the front vertical surface of the right rear wheel house.
3-Engine serial on flat above the water pump.

On occasion during military depot overhauls some jeeps had their hood number or serial number stamped on the top of the left front frame rail.

Your engine serial is a very early serial from 1952/53 and is probably the early casting number 646228 as well. Late casting # is 806279

Early casting

How do you know it is a 1960 unit? What serial number is on your title?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Rockytop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, thanks for responding . All tags/badges have been removed for some reason.I was just told it was a 1960 and have no documentation to prove it. There is no title for the jeep. I bought it from a guy in Kansas who had it got it from a friend to restore and never got to it. He said it sit 10+ years with him. The number on the block reads 806279-W-13-D-AR CO CR

Thanks
Martin
45auto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that you have the later engine block, check you engine serial number again. Look for a "1" right after the MD prefix. If you can see quite a bit of space right after MD and the start of the numbers you may have miss a digit.

Engine MD 124214 is in a 12/60 M38A1. Get a strong light and wire brush and sand the pad to see if there are any other numbers.

There are other ways to narrow down your M38A1 year. Not so easy, but if you want to know, its worth getting greasy over.
MVPA #6833
1945 GPW
1950 CJV-35/U
1951 M38 1952 M38
1962 USMC Contract M38A1
1953 Strick M100 1967 Johnson M416
1968 CJ5 4-Speed 1969 CJ5 V6
Rockytop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, I just went and doubled checked and there is no gap in between the MD and the 2.

Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the serial for the engine then it is an extremely early 1953 engine. Hence not original to your jeep. Complete the M38A1 survey form I sent you with as much detail as possible so I can better estimate the true Date of Delivery of it.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Rockytop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Wes, thanks I am working on the paper work and will get it back to you asap. Thanks again

Martin
Rockytop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I e mailed you the info as well as some pics. I did find a date stamp on the passenger side rear axle tube 7 1 53 A . With my engine being a early 53 cast could this be a 1953 model instead of a 1960 ? sounds obvious but don't wanna get to excited.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seldom are engines original to any military jeep. But it is quite common for retired military jeeps to still have their original axles. Especially the rear one.

I have not received any emails from you.

TomM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

Does your grille have hinges attaching it to the frame? Can you post side views of your fenders? Do you're fenders have a 45 degree seam showing from their upper rear corner to the wheel opening?
Rockytop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, no hinges on radiator, looks like one big bolt in bottom center. I am not set up yet to send pictures. I did e mail Wes some. I can send you some if you can leave me your e mail address.

Thanks,
Martin
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a set of pictures and overview of the M38A1 early vs later.
http://www.m38a1.com/Models/models_original.htm

But again, Wes hit the answer to your question of finding the s/n. There were no hidden stampings. The data plates were the sole source of serial number. The engine MD stamp was the sole source of engine s/n.

Tom
Rockytop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks for the pics and the overview, that helped a lot looks like mine is for sure the second generation, from looking at the pics. Wes says he believes the frame engine and axles all appear to be from 53, I still have to get back with him for some more needed info on the tub to confirm some things.. With all of this information we have now with the engine serial number and the date stamp on the rear axle tube and the second generation does all of this line up and make sense?
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: M38A1 Reply with quote

Keep in mind these were repaired and repaired again so its not unusual work on a mix of parts. You might also look on the side of the T90 transmission. Drivers side over the two big bumps is often stamped a casting date. It will be covered with grime and oil. A wire brush will get you through. Month, day and year might add another piece of information for you.
Rockytop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Tom thanks,Did all of these M38's see action ? and is there anyway to track where its been? im currently out of town so will be weekend before I am able to scratch around anymore. Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: