Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Windshield glass?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Windshield glass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: M38 Windshield glass? Reply with quote

Does any one know a place to get glass for the windshield close to St. Louis? Also what other models have the same glass? I only have 2/3 of it now. At least it is on the drivers side. Laughing

Was there an article about the glass on here somewhere?

[/img]
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Any glass shop should be able to cut you a new piece of glass.
I just had mine done and they used the frame as a template transfered to a piece of cardboard and then cut my glass.

They used a flat piece of automobile safety glass.
gorzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I was calling around today to different car glass suppliers (PPG, Safelite...) They don't even have Willys listed but they did have Jeep CJ3A

PPG did have a template number 1083s. They said they could check to see if they could get it cut but could not quote a price at this time.

By the way what is a resonable price for the glass.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeep CJ3A is the correct template... Also for correct period you want clear glass not tinted...

First time I had mine done it was about $100... Second time after a hail storm and needing it now for a show, it cost me $250... I guess the shop saw an opportunty and I had to have it done...

Hope this helps...
gorzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course this was helpful. You guys always are.

Since I just got the vehicle to my house (from a storage area) a month or so I have just been taking a bunch of pics for reference and trying to figure where to start. I figure the engine that way I can move it if needed. Then while the machining is being done I will sand and prime some of the small pieces.

Thanks
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get the Ziplock Feezer bags in Quart, Gallon and 2 Gallon sizes; a box of sharpies to write on the bags for what came from where.

For example: all the bolts for the fenders in a bag, and so on...

Take plenty of photos of the disassembly and go from there...

Also I recommend a box over on the side to put all the bad parts in... throw nothing way till you are sure you will not need it again... especially hardware...

If you have the Manuals on CD; you can go to Office Depot and get the prepunched paper and print your own manuals... great for use in the garage, you damage a page print another...

Hope this helps...
gorzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading to costco tomorrow. I will get more ziplocks. I still need to clean some more in the garage though. Embarassed
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two Ordnance maintenance manuals TM 9-1804A and TM 9-1804B are small and an easy read through. Read them before you start. You will find there are many checks and inspections you should do BEFORE you start the disassembly of your jeep and engine. Some examples are compression checks, vacuum readings and frame alignment checks.
It is always best to discover problems before you start the resto then it is to find them after you finish! Wink

You can never have enough photos and they never seem to have the level of detail you need. So with that in mind, a digital camera in hand and plenty of storage CD's or DVD's photograph every part and every step. A key word search of this and the G503 web site using "photos" will give you an idea of how many thousands of times folks come to these sites begging for a certain photo!

Also try to use a file system that matches the parts manual for the entire resto. IE file all photos of the tranny in file "07 Transmission" and you can even use the sub-categories as well IE "0702.3 Main shaft". This list of system codes is in the front of your parts manual ORD 9 SNL G-740. Label your bags and boxes of parts the same way. Buy several bags of the cheap white stiff card stock ID tags with strings and plenty of masking tape so you can write the same info on and attach or tape to parts. You can even organize your storage shelves the same way.

Maintain a project log where you enter dates and what was done, what was found wrong, what you learned that day and etc.

Establish a parts ordering log. I keep one just like I use in my aircraft repair business in a 3 ring binder and keep it in a convenient location. Usually on the bench and near a phone and the parts manuals.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gorzel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea about filing the pictures as far as compression check I would first have to be able to crank the engine Sad . But it does not appear to have leaked much oil. I guess that is one reason my dad got the Jeep for free (and it was a friend/ Navy buddy). I did notice that even though this was a 12v system the starter has a tag 24V Shocked . I have been reading through the TM 9-1804B but I need to get the TM 9-1804A. I am going to get the CD version that you recommended the other day on my other post. I am also working on setting up a personal webpage to post my progress I will be a slow process I know but maybe my sons will help.

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/20001569@N00/3279842370[/img]
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM 9 1804A is available on this website for free as a PDF download.

Go to the download section under M38/M38A1

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=39
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: