Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1951 M38 Data Plate 8-51
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1951 M38 Data Plate 8-51

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RchLovn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: 1951 M38 Data Plate 8-51 Reply with quote

Hoping all are well.
Accidentally placed in "Wanted" section.

My dad bought a 1951 M38 in the early 1960's. He served from 1951 to 1955. My brother, dad and I are restoring it. Before my dad bought the jeep, it was purchased from the DRMO I suppose by the city who had painted it a turquoise powder blue. We are lightly sanding the paint with wet/dry 3500 grit sandpaper. We revealed the U,S Army and the top of some hood numbers years ago but it sat in the garage for the past 35 years. The data plate says Marine Corps. so I hope to find that the yellow Marine numbers near the bottom of the Army numbers. The jeep was delivered on 8 - 51.

Any guesses on what number it would've been if we can't find any? I tried looking up a hood number estimator but they are for WWII rather than Korean war vintage. I know that the numbers for the USMC weren't like they were for the Army.

Thank you,
Rich
Also restoring Dad's and Brother's M38 1951 serial # MC 300XX, Date of Delivery 8 - 51 to Marine Corps (on Data Plate) that dad bought in 1962.

Last edited by RchLovn on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was indeed in the Marine Corp you will find two sets of numbers . You will find a yellow set and then a layer of Forest Green and then a White Army set and then a coat of 2430 OD.

Our data base has too little USMC data to help with a hood number estimate.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RchLovn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes K.

That's all I could find as well. Too bad they didn't retain records.

Countless hours of research and Korean War photos from your site and others have given us a good idea in how we are going to restore it if we can't find what we are hoping for under this paint.

What do you think of this company and their paint? http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page/paint_bottom_1.htm#top

Thanks again.
Also restoring Dad's and Brother's M38 1951 serial # MC 300XX, Date of Delivery 8 - 51 to Marine Corps (on Data Plate) that dad bought in 1962.

Last edited by RchLovn on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military paint jobs normally were not the show type stuff found at the Barrett Jackson Auctions. But for every 100 drab plane Jane jeeps there was at least one polished show off jeep specially prepared for someone thoroughly ate up with himself. Laughing

The typical Marine jeep was not the freshly painted units sitting in the supply yard at Barstow. Most I have seen barely had anything more than hood numbers and tire pressures.

The Gillespie paint is just fine for an accurate typical fielded Marine M38 jeep. Obviously you couldn't do a Marine jeep as a factory class resto because the M38's all left Willys in 2430 with USA 2XXXXX hood numbers. So that forces you into the Motor Pool class.

On the other hand if you aren't interested in winning the judges over at the MVPA Nationals then I would have your experienced painter put together a top shelf quality 2 part modern paint with a bit of flatener to tone it down but still get the longevity of a quality paint job.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RchLovn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon we'll go ahead and prep and paint over what's there for now with the Semi-Gloss Forest Green 24052 and 33538 Yellow Matt USMC in the closest number to the year, etc. that I see in the Korean war photos instead of sanding to find the numbers until we have the means to truly restore it in museum quality and have fun for now (respectfully of course). (USMC 1754XX)

I would rather paint it 34052 Lusterless Forest Green but that was WWII era and then again in 1970 as you know.

Be well,
Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: