Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Whats the worst "bubba mod" you have come across?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats the worst "bubba mod" you have come across?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has not been hacked up much. The front bumper has been replaced with a piece of channel but the frame rails are not hurt. The new"bumper" was only bolted with the two bolts in the end of the rail.I'm glad it was not welded on. Two holes, approx 1/2" were drilled in the metal panel between the grill and radiator to install two boat trailer type lights behind the grill.A hole has been cut in the dash for a radio , but no holes were made anywhere for speakers.The front half of the right fender appears to have been cut off with a air chisel.A bracket was welded to the right rear bumperette to attach a CB antenna.Like I mentioned in an earlier post a tailgate has been installed , but it was done well.So far I'm pleased with what I've been finding. Very Happy
Rory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one of my 41 Ford GP's that I had. There is a 1/2 thick steel grill. this Jeep came from Texas. Now after looking at this grille you might see the word WACO ? and if you need toe hooks, Just weld and weld and it should work. BTW if you need a extra tool box just get some 1/8 metal and weld. Shocked If you have a hard time finding a NOS spair tire carrier for a GP, Just find a 4 inch round tube, 1/4 thick and weld, it will work Wink

I always say " if it wasnt for some of our great BUBBA's out there more Mv's would be in the scrap"
1942 Chevy 1.5 ton cargo
1943 T3
1944 MB
1946 CJ2A (MB clone)
1946 CJ2A x 3
1953 XM215
M29C
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That box in the rear looks like an M38A1 battery box!

Usually those jeeps from Cattle country end up with huge cattle catchers on the front! My 42 GPW I picked up in Louisiana in 1971 had one with a 3" round solid steel bar stock bumper.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'A1 had CJ springs front and rear, with the spring mounts replaced with 1/2" steel plate bolted to the frame and the spring shackles replaced with ladder type raising shackles (steel flat bar with holes drilled in it). The front bumper was taken off and a 4" tube welded in place to the original bumper tabs. There is a brush guard that looks kind of like a WW2 style truck brush guard welded to the bumper with off road lights mounted to it (I kind of like the brush guard). The rear cross member received the standard 'welded on' hitch. Of course it was converted to 12v - with the wiring harness pretty much mangled, Douglas connectors replaced ans tossed out, alternator, oil pressure sender removed (the guy actually kept that, but tossed the temp sender). Rear lights replaced with 4" round (cut out the original tail light brackets). He added an early CJ5 hard top, windshield, and doors (which is, by the way, FOR SALE). I ended up buying a parts jeep with slight drivers side door way damage for the frame and a few other parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
iceman7273

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff i found on my M38 when i started rebuilding it, the welds and bubba mods are horrible also found electrical wire used for throttle cable and used for shims in the clutch arm....Spent months fixing and rebuilding just to get back to stock....Enjoy

Bell crank tube cutout with channel welded in

Front bumper mod, cut away frame... had to rebuild frame

Engine mounts Welds are the worst i have seen

Under Gas Tank

Inner Fender holes everywhere

Filled 34 holes on drivers side wheel well

18 on passengers side wheel well

Tons of random holes in Firewall

Electrical Wire used as shim in the clutch/brake assembly
53a1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how bubba didn't even clean up his handy work after cutting off the cross member.
linx310

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow iceman...seems Bubba perfected his artwork on your jeep...

Do these guys even bother to clean the metal before welding? Or even grind down what they do weld.
iceman7273

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linx310 wrote:
Wow iceman...seems Bubba perfected his artwork on your jeep...

Do these guys even bother to clean the metal before welding? Or even grind down what they do weld.

Surprised ......Not Clean, over grease, never welded, used a old arch welder im sure and even had the shakes = welds on my jeep. i spent a full day with my plasma getting the old welds off
49tandc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba ruined the dash by drilling 76 holes in it so he could mount a 6 X 9 speaker inside the dash and the grill cover would look nice on the outside. I guess he didn't have a jigsaw, only a drill... Holes necessary for the tunes to get out.

I'll try to post a pic. It was easier to get another dash than mig up all those holes.

49T&C
ApacheWillys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a bubba'd M38A1 for parts. I believe I have learned some "Bubba" rules:
No wiring system is complete unless lampcord is used.
All fasteners must be 1" longer than required, so they can bend or rust.
Any part with multiple fasteners must use more than 1 type of fastener. If a phillips is used, the others must be a mix of slot head, hex head, or square head.
Any fastener on the firewall must have a nut. Bonus points for square nuts.
Window screen isn't just for windows, it makes fine reinforcement for bondo and as a bug screen for the radiator.
Don't throw away your old underwear, stuff it on top of the shift towers as sound deadening and water seal.
Creative use of metal plumbing tape for bracketry is encouraged.
No clamps? Just use steel wire. No wire? Twine will do.
Curtain hooks can be inserted into the wire loom to suspend it from .... something.
Rescuemo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, quite a few talented Bubba mods on mine. Biggest was the insertion of an L 161 Willys Wagon motor (I-6) by cutting the rear of the firewall and building an underdash engine housing. Not the worst I've seen, and looks neat under the hood, but Bubba fabbed a large hinge for the accelerator pedal. Shocked

A few pics of the conversion...

Rescuemo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a couple more...

53a1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bubba is the Rain-Man of Jeeps.

Last edited by 53a1 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't throw away your old underwear, stuff it on top of the shift towers as sound deadening and water seal.

Laughing
djalohr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought an m38 from above the salt belt, once i took the tub off i realized that all the original metal was rust and guy covered the entire tub with fiberglass tape stuff and bondo, I'll have to up load some pictures, cant stick a magnate on any part of the tub...at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: