Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Possible M38 tire sizes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible M38 tire sizes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Possible M38 tire sizes Reply with quote

Yes, another thread in the seemingly endless world of tires.

I'm looking to buy a new set of tires for my M38, but not NDCCs (I'm moving to eastern Idaho and don't want to deal with NDCCs on ice). However, 7.00-16 is such a rare size that I may need to go with a slightly different size. The two sizes I see as options are 6.50-16 and 7.50-16.

I know 6.50-16 will work (half the old tires on the jeep are this size). But will 7.50-16 also work? I've read some reports of them rubbing on CJ-2As, but haven't found any reports mentioning the M38 or CJ-3A. Does anybody here have experience with this size?

On a related note, the Goodyear 7.00-16 Custom Xtra Grip Hi-Miler look great, but seem to only be available overseas. They are only shown on Goodyear's web sites for other countries. Oddly enough, they are shown on a dealer's site in Arkansas. Has anybody bought these recently?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some dealers occasionally import the European new style military mud and snow tires. They would work quite well. Have you considered going to a more modern style tire size like the somewhat newer bias ply G or H 78-16 or even the newer 205/85 R 16 and 215/85 R 16 or 225/75 R 16 radials?

Stock NDCC dimensions: 7.00-16 6PR Section width 7.80", Diameter 31.1"

Here's the dimensions for the STA mud and snow tire seen at:
http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html
7.50-16LT
Fig A
Load range D/8
PN LB246
Tread depth 18/32
Section width 8.70
Diameter 32.20
Rim Width (Recommended) 6.00
Dual Load 2140
Single Load 2440
Inflate to 60
Weight 37

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - 7.50 x 16 will definatly rub the frame on the front... I had those in a Mud and snow on my jeep when I got it and was always rubbing...

Good Luck...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two primary rubbing areas for oversize tires are the front frame when the steering is cranked full left and right (for this you just adjust the steering stops as needed and sacrifice some turning circle space) and the rear at the inner wheel house vertical surface when the rear axle is tilted a lot usually in off road activities. Keep in mind this discussion is about the stock jeep with stock dimensions, stock suspension and stock wheels. Lifts and different offset wheels will change a lot of this.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey wes- when i got my m-38 the steering stop bolts
were welded in place-no adjustment. i thought it was
typical-was i wrong?? thx, rick
mckim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICKG wrote:
hey wes- when i got my m-38 the steering stop bolts
were welded in place-no adjustment. i thought it was
typical-was i wrong?? thx, rick

Mine were too. I just cut the welds on Sunday since they weren't adjusted correctly to start with. Note the welded addition on the end of the bolt. Rolling Eyes
mckim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Some dealers occasionally import the European new style military mud and snow tires. They would work quite well. Have you considered going to a more modern style tire size like the somewhat newer bias ply G or H 78-16 or even the newer 205/85 R 16 and 215/85 R 16 or 225/75 R 16 radials?

Wes,

I hadn't even read anything about the European tires. Are they similar to the ones shown at http://www.militarytires.com/, or are they different? I'm assuming these are radials, correct?

I also couldn't seem to find any information on G or H bias ply tires. My dad thought they were more for a passenger application. Are these still suitable for off-road tires?

As for radials, I took a look at a 215/85 R 16 at the shop yesterday, next to a 7.50-16 and the radial looked kinda funny, mostly because of the bulging sidewalls. I guess it isn't really noticeable until the profile gets so high (or that I've only seen old jeeps with bias ply tires).
chuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the Cooper ST 215 85 R16.It's E rated so the sidewall is stiffer,and this model Cooper appears to have a skinnier profile.I had a set of 235s on a one ton pu and they were great in snow.
mckim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck wrote:
Take a look at the Cooper ST 215 85 R16.It's E rated so the sidewall is stiffer,and this model Cooper appears to have a skinnier profile.I had a set of 235s on a one ton pu and they were great in snow.

The guy at my local tire shop recommended these too. He thought it would be the best radial that had the right profile and decent tread. Apparently nearly all radials are too wide, especially those that have a knobbier tread design. I was really hoping to find something that looked more appropriate from the side instead of having such a scalloped appearance, but these may have to do.
chuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Cooper STT if you want a beefier look!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most radial choices are listed for use with wider rims then the M38 has (4.5) but with the low operating weights and speeds of the M38 I have never seen that to be a serious problem.

The European tires are used by them on their MV's and yes they are radials and they are aggressive,

mckim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally ended up going with the STA Super Traxion in 6.50-16. After looking at the other options, I decided they deviated just too much from the old military look.

From what I read, the Michelin X* military tires also have poor wet-pavement traction and wear down quickly on pavement due to a soft rubber compound (the same characteristic that makes them great for off-roading though).

Thanks for all your input. I feel that I've been able to make an informed decision instead of just hoping for the best.

Stuart
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why 6.50-16? The correct size for your jeep is 7.00-16 and the 6.50's will cause a speedo error and cut your top highway speed down.

Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can only get the tire he select at a 6.50
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I was curious why Stuart would select that tire size. I am aware of the size availability of that specific tire. I am more interested in why he chose to ignore the need for the 700 size and went only based on tread style. That answer would have to come from Stuart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: