Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - tranny crossmember flanges
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tranny crossmember flanges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: tranny crossmember flanges Reply with quote

Now that I have the transmission/transfer case crossmember off and all cleaned up, I found that the forward flange that the skid plate bolts to isn't parallel with the rear flange, but is angled upward something like 5-10°. I would suspect that it is damage, as the skid plate was all bent to heck every which way, but it is so uniform all the way along the length of the crossmember that it looks like it was made that way. However, if I mate it up with my now-mostly-flat-in-the-middle skid plate, it clearly is not a good match-up. Are both flanges supposed to be parallel to each other and 90° to the vertical walls of the "hat" shape of the crossmember? Or, is the skid plate supposed to match the flanges on my crossmember as-is?
TomM

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: trans skid plate Reply with quote

Your skidplate should be flat in the center where it bolts to the crossmember. Your crossmember bottom flanges should be flat across eachother and parallel to the ground.
It sounds like your crossmember was bent upon impact. Bend the flanges back to mate up with your skidplate.
Tom
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

That is how mine was to, maybe not as bad as yours sounds but a little finesse and a big hammer does wonders. I found that some 1/4" trailer hitch tubing fits inside the channel nicely to use as an anvil.
ZeroGs

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to spoil any fun you may have banging on metal but I do believe I have a spare. Near LAX if you every get out this way.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, idea, and offer, guys. I think I will make an outer die out of some hardwood, and using a filler like Brett did, rework it in my shop press, gradually bringing it back into shape in ~4" sections at a time. You can move a lot of metal with 20 tons and some improvised tooling! The part is already bead blasted clean and an owie in the other flange straightened out, so it is well on its way to being done.

Related question: on my left rear angled frame reinforcement, that goes from the left frame rail to the pintle hook plate, there is an upward curved depression in the lower flange toward the rear end of the member. It's maybe 1/4", or a little more, "deep" and about 4" long. Looks very factory-like: uniform, smooth. Is it supposed to be there? Is it there to provide more clearance for an electrical cable?
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That frame indent is for the flange connection at the muffler.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Brett. Figured it was something like that. One less thing I have to straighten!
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Very Happy
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am second guessing myself now that I re-read your post, I was thinking of the main rear cross member over the axle. I am not at home right now to check but I do know one of the 2 members has a section that is rounded up on the left side there.
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, looking at my frame now. yes there is a section on both cross members that are flattened upward. The one you were talking about on the diagonal support is just in front of of the rear x member.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was asking about the one on the diagonal support. It can be seen pretty clearly in wtb853's photo here: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=1951-MC25486&id=f_a1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php Guess I should have poked around in the gallery before asking.

Are you saying there is also an indentation in the lower flange of the lateral crossmember just forward of the diagonal braces? On the left side? Mine had something there, but it looked very irregular so I straightened it out as well as I could to look something like this in rdsar2k's photo and others I find: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rdsar2k&id=Frame_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php I found one photo showing the tailpipe passing directly below there, but with generous clearance.
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this. Thanks Dave, borrowed your pic. Mine looks a little smoother of an arch though.

RimfireJim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's right where I straightened mine out. It looked so irregular (something like Dave's, though not as extreme) that I couldn't imagine it being "factory". I still think it may not be, as pics I found of other people's frames don't show that distortion.
Bretto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine. I bet its factory, it would be odd to see some bent in the same place from different frames across the country. I can see people straightening it out though. I'm sure Wes will know for sure. Wes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: