Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 REPLACEMENT BODY TUB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 REPLACEMENT BODY TUB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeM38A1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: M38A1 REPLACEMENT BODY TUB Reply with quote

I have located 'MD JUAN ENTERPRISES' in the far east who can supply a reproduction body tub for my Jeep, via 'Jeep Parts UK' at a cost of £1800 including shipping.

Have any of you guys used one of these Repro 'Tubs' and if so is the quality acceptable. The alternative is to spend all winter fabricating and welding when I could be refurbing' the chassis to take the new tub.

Cheers,

Mike.
evanso1975

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: MD Juan Reply with quote

Hello Mike,

The only MD Juan tubs I've seen "in the flesh" are the MB/GPW ones, which I have to say looked pretty good. There have been some horror stories about the M38 ones (bolt holes not lining up, etc), but this was a few years ago; I'm guessing they've improved since then.

I recently ordered some replacement M38 body panels from MD Juan (through Jeeparts UK), so I'm hoping the quality is ok. They won't arrive 'til October, though. I did get one of their M38 rear crossmembers a few weeks ago, and the fit was perfect and it looks great. Very Happy

What do Jeeparts UK say about the quality? They may have had feedback from other customers, which might be of help. My father has dealt with Jeeparts UK for GPW parts for quite a few years, and has never had any problems with them.......

Rgds,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, just curious.. how does that price equate
to US dollars and what does it include??
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Rough estimate on exchange rate between British Pounds Sterling and US Dollars is 2:1. It always varies of course but I usually just double it.
As for the rest, MikeM38A1 could answer better than I.
Oldsalt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the UK but here in the US all the repro tubs available come from MD Juan. There are lots of stories about the quality of MD Juan tubs, mostly negative. I bought a repro tub through Willys Overland for a CJ3A and it was mostly a good decision. Don't get the idea, however that you will just drop the new tub on and drive away. While most of the major attachments are pre drilled, all the smaller items will need to be positioned and drilled. This includes things like windshield latches and gas pedal and many other things. You may also have issues with proper alignment of the other body pieces like the fenders and grill and hood. And I'm not sure, but with the A1, you might still have to install the well for the gas tank. It all takes a lot of time. Only you will be able to judge whether your tub will take more time and work to repair than a new one.

One thing about the tubs from Willys Overland. They take the tub from MD Juan and mount in a jig to be sure that things will fit properly. They reposition body mounts if necessary and make sure the major holes in the firewall are positioned correctly, and things like that. They charge extra for their tubs because of this but in my case I felt like it was money well spent.
evanso1975

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xe.com says 2870 US Dollars, or thereabouts. I'm guessing that includes shipping to Jeeparts in the UK; don't know if shipping to the US would be less or more. MD Juan have a few dealers in the US:

http://www.mdjuan.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=192

This is a picture of the M38A1 tub from their website:

http://www.mdjuan.com.ph/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/9e2c94c7b1a4b450ccbc81eec5eee99c.jpg

My best guess is that you get what's in the photo, but it's best to check with the dealers; I know the MB/GPW tubs I've seen included the tank well. P.S. As far as I know, MD Juan do all the repro tubs in the UK too........

1951 US Air Force M38
MVT # 19406
32sbct

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought an MD Juan M38 body kit which includes the tub, fenders, windshield frame, hood, etc. It also came with the glove box, cowl battery box and most of the brackets that mount to the body. A quick test fit to the frame seemed very good. I won't know for certain until I mount it for real but it seemed like everything was in the right place. I'm told that they are much improved over earlier versions and I am very pleased with mine so far. My jeep had no body and I have no welding skills so this seemed the best option. Good luck with yours!
MikeM38A1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,
Exchange rate makes the tub $2865 delivered to the UK, the first M38A1 I restored back in 2007 had the complete right hand side body panel ripped off and the fender badly damaged. I suspect the replacement side and fender came from MD Juan via a dealer in Scotland. They were for a CJ so had to be modified to take the hood bow mounts on the side panel and blank the indicator recess on the fender, the steel was slightly thinner gauge but once welded in position looked fine.
I am definitely considering the TUB purchase, I bought the Jeep with two new repro wings/fenders and the hood/bonnet is fine so that price is just for the Tub. Thanks for all the advice.
Owen, I see you are in North Yorkshire, are you bringing a vehicle to the Croft Nostalgia Weekend I am organising, check out www.croftmilitary.co.uk

Mike
evanso1975

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike,

My jeep won't be ready for Croft (I wish!!). Maybe next year. I'm hoping to have the DKW motorbike ready for the DLI weekend in August, though.

Good luck with your resto......

Rgds,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
MVT # 19406
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with MD Juan is poor. I bought a toolbox lid for my M38 from them and had to re-form it to fit the original tub. I also replaced the d-ring latch, poor quality and didn't fit. Didn't Fit is the best description of all MD Juan parts. Their quality isn't there yet. Do yourself a favor and buy a parts Jeep or another used tub. The resale is much better original than MD Juan stuff. I cuss myself for not heeding my own advice. Short memory I guess. There are things you just can't find easy like gas tanks. The M38 A1 tank is a disaster from MD Juan. I broke my rule and bought the Earlier M38 tank and it fit, but is 1/4 inch taller which makes seat clearance over it questionable. I had to fix the rear drivers backrest mount anyway, so I moved it up 1/4 inch and it cleared the tank. Good luck if you buy their body! Confused John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: