Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Warm River Butte, former fire lookout station site
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warm River Butte, former fire lookout station site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Warm River Butte, former fire lookout station site Reply with quote

Drove to the top of Warm River Butte yesterday. Unfortunately, all that is left of the fire lookout tower are some cement footings. But. the view from up there is still spectacular. Our little Canon point and shoot just can't capture it.

First picture shows us crossing Robinson Creek. Second picture shows Moose Butte in the center of the photo and the southern plateaus of YNP in the distance. Third picture shows the west slope of the Tetons.

Going back to our "other life" today, so no more riding in the Jeep for awhile.

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pictures!
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing it. Cool
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE IDAHO..
mckim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbjeeps,

It's nice to see people out and about with their MVs as their vacation vehicle. Gives us other drivers something to turn our heads at as you go by. Smile

Stuart
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mckim wrote:
jbjeeps,

It's nice to see people out and about with their MVs as their vacation vehicle. Gives us other drivers something to turn our heads at as you go by. Smile

Stuart

Hey thanks, glad you enjoyed it! Now get that '52 done and come join us. Just don't do too nice a job or you'll be afraid to get it dirty!

Or buy a driver. There's a somewhat rusty but very serviceable '51 3A w/ a hard top for sale in IF. I've driven it. Runs good, just rusty. Would be a great forest road driver. Owner told me yesterday he'd been offered $2,000 by a local car lot.

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
mckim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have the '52 up here in the fall. Currently, it's down at my parents' in southern California, all over the property. Laughing I had to move when my new job got the go-ahead. Dad's working on the frame right now, hoping to get the chassis finished and the rusty body put back on so we can drive it back up here when I get some vacation time.

It's definitely going to be a driver - that's the whole reason for the restoration. It's not going to be a garage queen! My Toyota doesn't care much for forest roads, so the Willys will be what the station wagon isn't. And it has a hard top, which should make it much more practical here. I'll probably try to find a normal windshield until I get the top fixed up though.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,
I, too, have been enjoying your pictures and your new blog. I'm a native of southern Idaho, but haven't spent much time in the neck of the woods you're tooling about in - our family vacations were usually up in the Lost River area, and weekend trips into the hills south of Burley. I got well trained in the art of taking the back roads to get from A to B by my dad, and I think Stuart has inherited the gene.
I'm making progress on "that '52" - got the frame painted finally this week, and Stuart and I (mostly Stuart) have the axles, suspension and steering mostly finished and ready to bolt back on. Maybe I can talk Stuart into buying that '3A and I'll keep the M38 - I've had it for only 34 years so far Very Happy

Jim (Stuart's dad)
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

It's great to hear from you. Sounds like you and Stuart have a terrific father-son project. But, 34 years? I think I'd have a hard time letting go of that.

If you have any "in progress" pictures I know the folks on this forum would be glad to see them.

Best wishes on your work. Keep us all posted. And, if you have it up here and running by next summer, we'll have to go for some rides.

mckim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RimfireJim wrote:
Maybe I can talk Stuart into buying that '3A and I'll keep the M38 - I've had it for only 34 years so far Very Happy

I think I'd prefer the M38 (especially considering the work I've put in so far Wink) But be careful tempting a (future) Willys owner with another one...

jbjeeps wrote:
But, 34 years? I think I'd have a hard time letting go of that.

Here's where I mumble something about it sitting for the last 18 of those years... Laughing

Since I expect it to take a while to get everything restored, my plan is to work on it during the winter and drive it (in whatever state of rustiness) during the summers until it's done. That way I get the satisfaction of being able to use it, which will be more motivation to finish it.

It would be great get out with another jeeper!
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title is still in my name. And so are the credit card bills. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: