Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - AV Gas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AV Gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daleric

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: AV Gas Reply with quote

I've been following the discussion of AV gas on the Deck Height thread. Where do you guys that buy AV gas get it from? Local airport or local bulk distributor? I have to haul and store gas all the time for everything from generators to string trimmers. If it is fairly easy to get, then I might as well haul and store AV gas.

Richard
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another, older thread that Wes commented on. He recommended getting 100LL AvGas and doing a 50/50 mix with regular unleaded. As an airplane mechanic, etc., he has access to the 100LL via his local airstrip facility.
Around here in MA there are a bunch of small airfields but I think it depends on the airfield service personnel and if they question your needing that fuel. Wes suggested telling them you're an amateur experimental craft pilot.
Here's the thread:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3794

That's what I've got.
Beast

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find that mixing regular nonethonal pump fuels with 110 leaded Racing fuels works quite well. The 110 race fuels are usually fairly easy to find. A lot of small local race tracks tend to have it, or ask at a local performance shop where is the best local place to pick some up. It's super easy for me because we have it in the pump out front of my performance race shop. Oh the funny looks people give you when topping off the tank in 50 year old Army vehicle with race fuel. The big benifit, besides the added lead, is that race fuel doesn't have the extra additives that AV fuel has in it so it burns a little cleaner and cooler.
Delta Team Decals http://www.deltateamdecals.com/
RCFlyguy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wes pointed out once before that the use of Av gas in autos is illegal and therefore will be hard to obtain. I don't think you will be able to walk up to the pump attendant and ask for 10 gal of 100LL for your car. Av gas is not road-taxed (unlike auto gas). I think Wes also mentioned going to the local airport with a couple cans and request gas for your 'homebuilt aircraft.'

Another suggestion (maybe a long shot), is say it is for your airboat. Some airboats use aircraft engines for power and would require leaded fuel.

I personally just siphon gas out of my dad's plane (with permission) after he tops up at the nearest supplier of 100LL.

About the legality of using non-taxed gas in autos: I'm not sure if this really applies to antiques. Antique engines need the lead for lubrication. There is no auto fuel available any more to supply this, so I am inclined to say it might be allowed just due to the demand and no supplier...have to check on the rules on that one...
daleric

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no intention of using AV gas in a road use vehicle other than my MV which sees virtually no road miles a year anyway. I would like to be able to buy some for "home" use though. The big problem I have is I can't get non-ethanol contaminated fuel in my area. Stabilizer products are just a stop gap at best. They do slow the breakdown of the gas, but do not stop the damage the alcohol causes to fuel system components.
oldgreentrucks

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: AVGAS Reply with quote

Try Auburn University Aviation 334-844-4597
Should be able to get a few cans for "non-road going" vehicles.
Jim
kendak

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: av gas Reply with quote

don't know about your state but in Miss. it's legal on the road ...I just pull up to the pump at the local airfield & put my credit card in & enter "0" in the wing # slot & pump my own...wasting your time if you mix it with any blended gas because you get the ethnol then & I promise you that AV gas is the best fuel that money can buy because you can't pull over to the side of the road when you're at 5000 ft. ....aircraft engines on teardown have NO deposits of any kind....run it in my antique pullers & engines are as clean as LP on the inside....think about it some airplanes sit up for months & then you take it for a spin the fuel has to be right...have been using it since the early 60's & it works....no gum in carb & no deposits in head
'51 M38, '52 M38, CJ3B, CJ2A, MVPA #34129, NRA Life, Extra Class N5MCZ
daleric

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: AVGAS Reply with quote

oldgreentrucks wrote:
Try Auburn University Aviation 334-844-4597
Should be able to get a few cans for "non-road going" vehicles.
Jim

Funny you should mention that Jim. Since I know the guys that run the airfield that's exactly what I did. They told me I was welcome to come by and use the self-service pump whenever I wanted . Very Happy
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally went out to our muni airstrip and asked about it. They
said no problem as long as i have a valid credit card for the
self serve pump. The pump asked for my tail number i typed
MC51986 and pumped 5 gals 100LL into a jerry can @ $5.33/gal.
No problem-i must confess that when the pump asked for
verification that i'd grounded my aircraft i said yes-i lied Laughing

I should also say that i havent smelled quality fuel for quite some
time. What a sweet smell when compared to pump gas with
corn squeezins added (corn squeezins are best when used in
a good whiskey). The smell took me back to the '60s when Dad
and Uncle Billy were racing late model stocks on the dirt track
and i hung around in the pits..
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful aroma, isn't it? Beats the heck out of where gas went since 1973!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
timjuhl

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Avgas Reply with quote

A lot of airports have credit card systems these days. The only suggestion I'd make is don't drive your car up to the pump without asking (if there is anyone to ask) and take it slow and easy, always remembering that planes have the right of way. When it asks for a "N" number, you can enter N12345 or something similar - no one really checks that info. We get guys coming by our airport often, buying gas for their antique and classic vehicles Orr racing snowmobiles.

Tim
circleburner12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been transfered to fire station #3 which is located at the airport. the gas guy sold me 5 gal of av fuel. going to run it in the jeep. so we'll see how it goes. what i've read about av gas. its the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: