Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Omix-Ada water pump pulleys
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omix-Ada water pump pulleys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Omix-Ada water pump pulleys Reply with quote

I found this comment on our sister Yahoo site.

Quote:
From "L134 Ted" <roett@aanet.com.au>
To <M38-M38A1-M606@yahoogroups.com>
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 14:14:21 -0000
Reply To <M38-M38A1-M606@yahoogroups.com>

I do not have a M38 Jeep but do play with L134 and F134 Willys engines most days. When I spotted a photo of a M38 engine with its twin V belt crankshaft and water pump pulleys it seemed logical to look for these parts as a 'Willys factory' way of creating the twin narrow V belt pulley drive I need for a L134 engine project.

I ordered a billet steel crankshaft pulley from Midwestmilitary and then got a new Omix-ADA M38 water pump. When both items finally arrived in Australia I was disappointed to find that the centre to centre distance between the V belt grooves were different. The water pump measured 1/2" and the crankshaft pulley measured 11/16" so I had either wasted my money and time on a water pump or on the crankshaft pulley.

After checking with a few sources and comparing what I had to an original M38 engine it was obvious that the water pump pulley was made to an incorrect drawing. I wrote to Omix-ADA Tech Support and got the reply back that "This is the absolute first time I have heard anything about this, but to be honest I do not deal with the M38 parts much. I will ask around the office and see what I can find out."

Midwestmilitary and others told me that the water pump pulley problem was well known and the reason they didn't sell that brand M38 pump.

I asked if the company had corrected the problem and would supply a replacement (correctly made) pulley. A week later I got a reply acknowledging the problem but with no mention of a replacement dual V pulley. I copy the Omix-ADA reply in full below as it may help another M38 enthusiast who has a dud Omix-ADA water pump sitting under the bench or on an engine turning V belts inside out.
Best Willys Regards
Ted Robinette

Quote:
Ted,
As a company policy we do not send out the technical drawings. To get more to the heart of the issue, I have found that a limited amount of our stock does have the ½" center to center of the double V's that you are referring to. We are working with our manufacturing partners to have this corrected and have removed the pieces with the ½" measurement from stock. It is possible that some of our stocking dealers still have some on their shelf, and we are working to get this inventory back as well. I thank you for bringing this issue to our attention so we can correct anything that need to be corrected. Another observation, we sell a great deal of these water pumps and have no significant return history. It is my belief that this product was correct (from our previous orders) and was changed (currently investigating why any change was made) on our most recent shipment.
Thank you
Omix-ADA Tech Support

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for post Wes! I think that if Omix wants to keep their name known in the US, they had better start making quality reproductions! I'll rephrase - I think the quality is there, just not accurate enough to use - nothing they make fits! I have been through so many of their parts on this restoration that I refuse to use them anymore!
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I documented my identical water pump belt offset on an earlier post.
At this time i'm experiencing a belt squeal and suspect the incorrect
dbl-v water pump pulley. Thx, Wes for posting Omix-Ada's response
(or lack there-of) to customers.
jimbob

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: OMIX ADA Reply with quote

I have also had problems with Omix parts etc Crankshaft pulley, water pump, and transfer output flange just to name a few or the parts I have had trouble with.

Jim
M38 Jeep
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All body parts that I tried didn't fit or just didn't look original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
G740

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Parts that do fit Reply with quote

If you want parts that fit, call me. Why do you think I manufacture so many things? I as a dealer am sick of trying to supply parts that I have to stand behind only to get them back. I have crankshaft pulleys made from the original print. Water pump pulleys that we recondition and guarantee. I will grant you that I am not the cheapest on the market, but my parts fit and work the way they should. Food for thought.
John
Midwest Military, Inc
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True - I've learned my lesson - pay a little more and have a first time fit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: