Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Engine rear main seal quesion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine rear main seal quesion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCFlyguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Engine rear main seal quesion Reply with quote

When I assembled my engine earlier today, I put in a new rear main seal. It is a repro seal that came in the major engine overhaul seal/gasket kit that Pete Debela sells. I put the seal halves in and trimmed them to fit as per the manual. However, when I install the bearing cap and torque the main bolts, I get a bind. I know for a fact it isn't the main bearings because I tried it without the seal and it was smooth and free. With the seal in and torqued, it takes quite a bit of force to turn the crank over (I have to put a socket wrench on the pulley nut on the crank to do so). I've never done a major overhaul before and found this a bit odd. Is this common when installing a new seal? Will it wear in quickly/safely? I am concerned the starter will not have enough juice to turn it over as it is.
artificer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Known problem area. Don't ruin your good work.
Neoprene or rope seal?
Neither should be that tight....
Searching might help here & elsewhere.
Post pics of the seal you used, might help us help you.
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rope seal gets trimmed and the garlock type do not. Turning resistance should increase when before and after seal installation comparison's are made. There is not a published turning resistance torque number to rely on. If you are using a socket and 1/2" drive ratchet and using only your fore arm strength to turn it you will be ok. If you are putting your shoulder in it then there is an issue. Did you prelube the bearings and the seal?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RCFlyguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seal was a molded rubber type. It had a metal insert molded in for stiffness. It looks exactly like the old one that I took out. The bearings were pre-lubed with engine assembly grease and the seal was pre-lubed with STP+oil. I'll go put a torque wrench on it later today and turn it just to get an approximate value (pistons are in now).
jam51m38cdn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a known problem with the rubber seal in the MD-Juan kit`s that are out there, no one will tell you about, that I experienced last year. Just like you, I had the same problem. You need to get a new victor rear main seal as the one`s in the kit were made out of spec. Replace the 2 part rubber seal and you`ll be good to go, and can then turn the crank by hand. Jim
artificer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steel backed neoprene seals are not meant to be trimmed....they are meant to form a perfect circle [just like an engine bearing] when in place & the cap is torqued down. Trim them & they will not be a perfect circle but egg shaped & will leak.

The bad seals included those marked victor were/are not limited to any particular brand kits & were/are in any number from various sources.

Your reseller should be consulted as there would not be one of them who is unaware of the issue/s.
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC,

There are two separate issues with the molded garlock type seals.

1-Many 1990 vintage production seals were dimensionally incorrect and overheated.

2-There were early and late crank seal surface dimensions. The molded Garlock type seals will not seal well on the early crankshafts.

Also many crank rebuilders fail to polish the seal journal of the crank when polishing the three main journals.

Review my photo album under "Rear Seals"
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album134&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RCFlyguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help on clearing up this situation. The seal I have looks like the molded seal in your album Wes. I guess I will start searching for a different replacement seal, preferably the rope seal. Thanks again.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an early crank and it's seal surface dimensions are not correct for the garlock type formed seal you have no choice except to use the rope seal.

Don't think that just because you have a F-134 in an M38A1 that you couldn't possibly have an early crank. The F134 was introduced in 1950 in the Jeepster so it is not uncommon for an M38A1 to have an F134 with an early rope seal crank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: