Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Found Them!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found Them!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes:

I am not certain about the amount of hold downs, but I believe you are correct from what I have read. and, as someone mentioned, not many jeeps have those those extra tie downs.

I have a great deal of respect and gratitude to all armed force members, particularly to those that served in Canada. And I forever grateful for guys like you who are willing to let people like me who have so much to learn. As well, I am grateful for those here who will spend time to research something for others when questions are asked. I think there are a few of us who just want to restore our vehicles to a way to honour our armed forces.

You can see there is alot who are eager to learn and understand. I just wish that we had more of guys like you when it comes to Canadian military information.

Cheers,
ECVJeeps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7: Vehicles shipped by rail transport had eight tie downs installed on the frame. Vehicles shipped overseas to Norway or Cyprus had eight tie downs on the frame and also has hold down rings installed to the four spring shackle plates.

I believe this information is from a previous post on another site from Mr. Colin Macgregor Stevens. (I could be wrong here)

The best I can tell is certain Canadian M38’s delivered overseas had additional frame tie-downs for rail shipment. Why, I don’t know, our rail system should be no different than the US rail system, we both have the same topography from western mountains, mid-west prairies and the eastern seaboard.

From the previous picture on the proceeding page and this picture, I can count at least 6(six) frame tie-down points and the 4 (four) under each spring. These are in addition to the 4 (four) large footman style installed by the factory on the sides of the frame.

I have no documentation only information that I can glean from pictures and information supplied by others. Information from others I take with a grain of salt, however if it is backed up with photographs, then it is much more credible.
The photos I have found would indicate at least 6 (six) tie downs on the frame along with the large footman style. Two on each side of the frame and two on the rear cross member, one on each side of the pintle hook. Then the four that were mounted between the spring packs and the shock plate under the springs.

On a side note, a previous M100 trailer that I sold had four similar tie downs on the frame under it. I was told it was an airborne trailer and the tie downs were attached to fasten it to a pallet or skid for deployment from an aircraft.

Another small note is this bracket that has been found on at least two jeeps that was used to keep the P/S fender signal light in a forward facing position. I am not sure if this is both US and CDN, or if this was only on the Canadian jeeps. When I find mine I will be adding it to my wife’s M38CDN.

Hope this helps

Pat
M100 CDN #0548(in progress)
M100 CDN #0281
pickle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, the information I found was quoted from Robert Grieve, of the Ontario jeep chapter. that is all I know.

cheers,

mk
M38CDNBill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECVJeeps wrote:

This UN peacekeeping M38CDN who is in the showroom of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa is very original and in very good shape. This is a reference that should be documented.

I bought several years ago the Operator's Manual CDN-OM9-804 from Portrayal Press but there is no information about these tiedowns.

pickle wrote:
...The American folks here don't know how lucky they are to have guys like Wes and all here helping out, and I know I am very thankful for them on our side. It just seems when you are looking for someone who knows Canadian information, I don't understand why it has to be so hard on this side of the border...

Thanks again to Wes and Ryan to keep this website alive. It's the best place for the M38s enthusiasts and sharing informations.

Cheers
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone has already made a photo survey of that jeep and can post those photos in our Historic and Vintage photo album?

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Historic-Vintage-Photos&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Pat is there another ring to the left of the pintle?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is not correct.
4: The last vehicle produced by Ford was serial number F102135 and it was delivered on 27 November 1952 (as researched at Ford by Peter Simundson).

We have seen pics of dataplates of lower numbered M38CDN delivered FEB 53. Also one Jan 53 I believe. Can't remember who had them but they are here somewhere.
ECVJeeps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, if you look closely you can just see the edge of the "D" for the other frame tie down. There is evidence of a shadow at the edge of the picture and the pintel is casting a shadow to the right, with this I make the assumption that this shadow is from the bracket holding the d-ring.
I wish I had a better picture and better information on these but this is all I could find.

Hopefully someone will find more documents on the M38CDN.
M100 CDN #0548(in progress)
M100 CDN #0281
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. Yes I can just see part of the ring on the edge of the photo.

Anyone with historic Canadian M series jeep photos can now load them to a Canadian specific historic album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album277&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This was also discussed here in April 2007:

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1498&highlight=

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
pickle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually remembered also taking pictures of the jeep in Ottawa at the war museum, but my pictures were focused on the fuel tank (as I didn't have one at the time). I put them as well as most of the historical photos or M38s that I collected in the album. I hope that they can be useful. Thanks Wes for setting it up.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, in your drawings you do not give the length of the "D" Rings... you give the radius and the width and diameter of the ring but no length...

I have been looking for some suitables, but the ones I have found appear to be to short...

I guess I will have to fabricate them...

I had a machine shop make me a set of brackets... just need the rings now...

Also I believe from the drawings posted that the same rings are used on the spring mounts as the frame... My opinion..

Thanks
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: