Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - gillespie paint
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gillespie paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: gillespie paint Reply with quote

I have used their paint in the spray cans for several small parts and had good luck with it. I was wondering if anyone has had good or bad results with their paint in the quart or gallon cans. Also if there are any hints or suggestions. Can I use or do I need a hardener? I have a very good painter to spray it for me but I like to learn from other peoples experiences. Thanks for any help.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all I have used since 1997. I use 24087 on my 'a1, and Desert Tan on my deuce. Always use Xylene as suggested at 4:1 ratio. I tried mineral spirits and didn't get my normal results - longer dry time plus it took longer to "matte out". It stayed glossy for a lot longer than I wanted.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeeperjoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Gillespie paint but did ask Rapco about their spray paint and they said that they can it themselves and that it's the exact same paint that they sell in gallon cans.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Rapco sells is Gillespie - spray cans are an exact match to the gallons.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billybob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: gillespie paint Reply with quote

Thanks to all: Since I posted this I have talked with both Gillespie Coatings and Army Jeep Parts. They were both very helpful. I now believe I can use it with confidence. Gillespie told me I could use a hardener but it may make it too glossy. The M38-A1s Seabee jeeps We had in Danang appeared to be the same color as the Marine jeeps. They seemed to have a bit of gloss when they were cleaned up, - which wasn't very often. Right or wrong I'm going with 24052.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: