Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Got my M38 home!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my M38 home!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andysm38

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Got my M38 home! Reply with quote

So I finally picked up my M38 on Saturday after 16 hors in the car and one speeding ticket later.
I will need lots of help with the restoration and apologize in advance for any "dumb" questions and promise to read all the various books I now have in advance.
Here are some pictures..I am hoping I am doing this correctly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110605845710348910556/5314FirstDayHome?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-D35O0nZaF9QE&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/110605845710348910556/Day2?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJbsgKHC_retnwE&feat=directlink

Andy
Andysm38

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot:

It is serial # MC29612

I do not know the production date, but it is believed to be around 08/51.

Looks like it has been a US Marine Corp Jeep based on what I discovered on the hood thus far.

Lots of things "wrong" on the Jeep: civilian carb, fuel pump etc

Windshield glass clearly needs replaced. I was going to replace it with the single glass, but was recently told that both solid/one piece as well as the two piece windshield are correct?

Andy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Andy's new M38.

Nice looking M38 project.

The one piece is correct. There was a service bulletin issued in Europe to conserve on windshield glass by repairing broken windshields that had at least 1/2 in good shape by adding the M38A1 divider and gasket. Then cut the good half of the old windshield and reuse and cut a new 1/2 piece for the other side.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Rick_L

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Andy. Good thing you picked up that NOS front floorboard.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I like the tires. Been thinking about something like that when my current NDCC wear out. Looks solid!
Andysm38

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I think "solid" might be a bit of an overstatement at this point, but I appreciate it.
I sell you the tires if you like. I have a fifth one too. Gonna be a while before this one will need tires Smile
kenc80

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great! Enjoy!
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Looks like you have a good foundation to work off. We will all be looking forward to seeing your progress. Take and keep a lot of pics along the way, it's fun to look back and see what you've done.
Yours is the same month/year as mine! 8/51 MC29199.
Brett
DaveM38A1

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good project. Enjoy it. Lots of good information here.

Enjoy the project!

Dave
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

My jeep had the same tires on it when I got her.

Cool
Andysm38

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

I tried to literally "uncover" the engine serial number to day to add to the database, but I just couldn't find anything.

I'm pretty sure I am looking at the right spot.

Take a look:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110605845710348910556/EngineSerialNumber?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOCy15u2l-CX4AE&feat=directlink
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the right spot. That is what they look like when the engine is left out in the elements for years. Stop by your local PD and ask if they would mind giving you a little help raising a engine serial number off that location with their ground off serial recover secrets.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Andysm38

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well as you may have seen in my other thread I have run into a few hick-ups thus far. I guess you really don't know what you bought until you start digging in and you are either lucky or not. I am leaning to wards saying that I haven't been very lucky thus far.

Quick summary: Tried to get the engine going, but as I was working on trying to figure out why only the starter would turn, I noticed that my distributor shaft no longer turned. I took it out and didn't notice anything unusual, except for the anti-rattle spring clip missing at the end of the shaft to fit it snug into the oil pump. I inspected the timing gear and it looked good. Then I noticed that the oil pump was in fact not turning. Took the oil pump out and it completely failed with many teeth on the gear broken off. Camshaft looked ok at first, but after a closer look I saw some teeth also damaged to the gear.

Then I did a compression check on the engine to learn as much about it as I could to see where I am really standing. Here are the results:
Oil did not seem to make a difference. Needle on compression gauge would not stop at highest value so these are estimates from what I have seen as it bounced up:

1: 0
2: 40
3: 40
4: 10

Then I took the head off. Here are the pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110605845710348910556/Engine?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKqRn_nHqOrLDA&feat=directlink

Not pretty - I know.
The valve closest to the front did not move but after some lubricating and gentle persuasion it started moving again.

Today I took the valve cover off. Pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110605845710348910556/Valves?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLf4vtuB8dBM&feat=directlink

I am looking forward to your comments. Be gentle though please!
Any suggestions about cleaning methods and products would be greatly appreciated!

Sigh...

Andy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one good way to clean all that up. With what you have found so far I strongly suggest you pull the engine out, put it on a stand and completely disassemble it. Mic it and carefully inventory the real condition of all the parts and the block. Once you have finished that and know the amount of cylinder wear, the condition of the pistons, the crank and cam condition and then have the block hot tanked and thoroughly inspect it you can move forward. Only when all that is done can you make the needed decisions on what has to be done and fix it right the first time so you can enjoy the jeep instead of constantly solving one crisis at a time with that engine.

I have not seen a single thing in any of your photos up to this point that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about your engine. Every photo illustrates neglect and abuse.

Andysm38

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Thanks Wes. I had the same train of thought.
Bummer. Oh well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: