Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M100 Project - Dorchester County SC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M100 Project - Dorchester County SC
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: M100 Project - Dorchester County SC Reply with quote

I thought I'd start a thread for my new M100. I believe I got lucky finding this one. It's had some TLC along the way and as far as I can tell is pretty much complete and original, surviving without any of Bubba's mods over the years.

I don't think it needs sheet metal or frame patching or repairs (won't know for sure until it comes apart), it's pretty solid, but it could use a fresh paint job. I got a quote from a local blasting shop that does vintage cars and if I take it apart they'll blast and prime it with Amercoat 385 epoxy primer for $740, which doesn't seem out of line to me (still a lot of money). It'd be the last paint job I ever need anyway. Blasting and painting is well beyond what I can do in my little garage. I need to do some research on this Amercoat 385 epoxy primer. It's a marine grade primer, but I don't know enough about paint systems to know what kind of semi-gloss 24087 top coat is compatible.

It's a Dunbar-Kapple delivered May 1951, serial number 01169903.

I'll take some detailed photos when I take it apart, but here are a few to start:

Doggonit --- I can't remember how to post a photograph.

There Ron I fixed it! You need to use these on each end of your photo's URL. [img][/img] not these [url][/url] WesK

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Don't do like I did - I bought mine (in similar original condition) and let it sit around with a cover over the bed for years. When I got ready to restore it, it needed a floor - now I'm in a major resto.

BTW - are you planning on attending the hmv rally/show in Denton NC April 15-17th? If not, you should - it's going to be the biggest and best one yet. Everything from WW2 - current HMVs will be there along with WW2 re enactors, rides in trucks and vendors.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sure like to make it to Denton, sounds good. About 4 hours drive 240 miles for me. Maybe if I get my income taxes done this weekend, then cut the grass......

I have the M100 nestled in the garage, would like to get it blasted and painted this year. Prices sure aren't going down any.

--- Enzo Ferrari

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood - it's only ~100 miles from me, so I love going to this one. One day I am going to drive the Jeep/trailer there! I drove the deuce, pulling the car hauler and Jeep, 2 years ago and the deuce last year. I hate pulling a trailer long distances - even the Steel Soldiers GA rally (at ~200 miles) is a stretch for me!

Good place for it! After I finish mine, it will be stored in front of the Jeep in the shop (after I sell the Farmall Cub that sits there now). Man, the prices on these things are ridiculous! I bought mine about 7 yrs ago for $200 - now the same condition would be $1800. You said a car restoration shop is going to blast it for you - are they going to soda blast or use the dustless blasting crushed glass method? Definitely don't want to sandblast it! I have a friend that does the dustless blasting with rust preventative treatment that can't be beat. I was sold after seeing my father in law's '55 Chevy sit in the shop while we worked on it for about 6 months - without rusting! I will be blasting my M101a2 and M105a2 trailers with this system after the M100 is finished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
donthedickens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!! Very nice looking trailer.

When you start to put it back together check the brake handle. I think your's is on backwards.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album404/M100_4.sized.jpg

Tech manual for the M-100 on this site;

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m100-m115.pdf
59 Willys Pick-up truck
54 CJ3B is my M606 wanta-be in progress (rough)
M100 trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

Yes the hand brake handle is backwards and you have the early style trailer that uses an Intervehicle cable with a metal plug on each end.

This is the cable you want.

This is the receptacle that goes down in that corner. It is not the same as the jeep's trailer receptacle.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes! IMG's and not URL's!

The blasting shop did mention glass beads but I think maybe they quoted sand --- I'll definitely ask about that. They priced it based on photos I sent them not actually seeing it (not roadworthy yet and I didn't want to rent a trailer to haul it just to get a preliminary ballpark cost). I've read here where sand may be too aggressive. Learning the difference.

Gave the man $1200 for this trailer, plus $200 for the dolly and gas and hot dogs and a Coke to get it home round trip 1200 miles in 23 hours. I guess I'm on the way north of $2k for a trailer. No looking back --- I took the rear view mirror off my pick-up. Can't help it. It's all good.

The trailer came with a cable that has plugs on both ends (one end male the other female) and a pair of drain plugs for the tub. They're stowed in the box and I'll take photos of them, but they look too new to be originals. The wiring harness and lights on it do look original to me and it has Douglas connectors.

Thanks for noting the brake handle mounted backwards (I thought it felt funny in the hand). I have the TM but still studying it. I did note the bell crank for the handle is riveted and the TM shows a shouldered bolt?

I might just cut the grass and skip the taxes so I can make it to Denton. Have pup-tent, will travel. I need a set of top bows and the refund my Uncle Sam owes me can wait a minute. Shocked

--- Enzo Ferrari

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's all good - we don't spend the time and money that we do on these things with hopes of making a profit! I'm pretty sure I have over $15,000 in my m38a1 and would be lucky to sell it for 12 WITH the trailer. I bought my trailer for $200, and when all is said and done after the tires are bought, I'll have about $1300 in it! You'll have something be proud of and will only appreciate in value when you are done with it.

The riveted bell crank isn't correct as you suspected, but you can buy a US made repro of the shoulder bolt fairly cheap now.

There you go - that's the spirit! Put everything aside and worry about it later. You'll have a great time and learn a lot while there! Seriously though, we would love to have you there if you can make it. Look me up if you come - just ask for me by user name or look for my m38a1 with wilfreeman on the driver side windshield. I found a flyer about the show, but can't seem to post pics on my phone - will do that when I get home. You can also search steel soldiers for Denton 2016. Or go to the Denton Farmpark website events page. I prob posted on this forum too.
DanS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very nice original trailer. I would not restore it. This type original trailer is much more desired today than a restored one. Just fix what is not correct and leave it as it is. They can only be original once! My two cents.

Dan
GPW 14944 dod 4/10/42
K38 Linemans Trailer 4/43
M100 Trailer 01177488 dod 8/51
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
I'm not savvy enough to know if it truly is original. I'll take some detailed photos to post. I suspect the steel is, or could be, but not the paint. It doesn't look like 65 year old paint to me, or even 40 year old paint (if the Army would've painted it as late as 1970?). And no evidence of any soldier touch-up paint maintenance on it either.

The tires on it are holding air. One is dated 1959, the other is 1970 (I think). When I replace them so I can safely tow it, is there any value to keeping them, or can I toss them without committing a crime?

I've read the back and forth in the forums about jeeps and trailers only being original once (off the assembly line). I'm considering the implications of your suggestion. I believe the Army overhauled them at a depot once in awhile?

--- Enzo Ferrari

DanS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks like an Army repaint to me. I've seen hundreds painted in motor pools. The quality of the re-paint was totally up the motor sergeant. If you decide to keep it original, you could still make it more correct and keep the original look. Just repair what needs service, ie, tires, etc, replace the incorrect or misplaced items and be done. Bottom line tho, this is your trailer and you can do as you wish.

Dan
GPW 14944 dod 4/10/42
K38 Linemans Trailer 4/43
M100 Trailer 01177488 dod 8/51
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very nice trailer.

I have one of those flange mount trailer receptacles that is
surplus if anyone needs it.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
coolpool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Are the tires that bad that you don't trust them? The rubber back in the day seems to be very durable compared to some of todays compounds. Are the data plates there or the picture deceiving my eyes? I've given up worrying about costs; I've had too many of my old army buddies march off to the big parade in the sky as of late. Enjoy it while you can and leave nothing for any of the US or Canadian governments to piss away.

Oh and don't forget to register it in the database!

Spoiler alert, I'm picking up an M100 in two weeks; not as nice as yours though! Razz
MVPA #36514
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I do intend to tow the trailer eventually but doubt I'd ever put much of a load in it if any. Trust 45-55 year old tires? I suppose I might at low speed off road, but am pretty sure my insurance company wouldn't like it too much on hardball. And things on the roads are crazy enough already without me adding to it? I'll be buying a new set of tubes and tires.

Is anybody out there collecting old military tires or can I pitch them?

Yes, it has the original data plates but they're pretty worn, barely readable. The serial number is clear enough.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Luis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!
1952 M100
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Luis&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/member.php?uid=358&usern
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: