Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Mongrel M38 in Dorchester County SC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongrel M38 in Dorchester County SC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked RickG and Bretto's rear license plate holder so much I had to try it myself. Not much night running, but added the light for SCDMV, will hook it into the tail light circuit.

[/img]

[/img]

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tight looking rig, Ron, right down to the red painted
lube points!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, getting there. Those lube points are captive red plastic covers. Got a bag of 50 for $7. I figured I'd take advantage of small technology advancement instead of a red paint brush all over the jeep. Easy to see, remove, and replace. Helps keep the dirt out of the zerk too.

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a set of top bows from RFJP on the last day of his free shipping special. They arrived coast-to-coast in quick time and great shape (bubble-wrapped on the ends and corners with a twist or three of shrink wrap holding them together). I was pleasantly surprised FX didn't mangle them. They're sturdy, well made (in the U.S.A.), and sit in the up and stow brackets nicely. I don't have the bracing rods or canvas yet so I can't comment on final fit but my bet is they're good to go.

I do have a question that I can't seem to locate a photo in the forum or the TM. Might be blind. The drivers side of the bow has the hole for the wing-bolt retaining chain on the top edge of the bracket and the curb side hole is on the low edge of the bracket. Would this be as the originals were made? How come? I know I'm down in the weeds here, but inquiring mind wants to know.....thanks!

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to replace the points-to-coil wire on my 12V distributor and one thing led to another. The screw head holding the wire to the points was mostly mangled so what the heck, replace it too. Tight space, so pull the distributor to work with it on the bench. Inspect the rest of the distributor and find what looks like a cracked case:

Sure looks like a crack to me anyway. Can't be a good thing. Doesn't look like a casting flaw. Can't imagine it's repairable, or worth repairing. Maybe it's common and doesn't affect operation?

Having trouble identifying the part number of this distributor. No markings on it. No external oiler. No anti-rattle clip. Looks like it's been around awhile, cleaned up by the previous owner. It was on the jeep <running poorly> when I bought it. If I should replace it, what's the best 12V distributor out there? Your advice appreciated!

--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing on from the previous distributor issue thread, I finally get around to removing what looks to me like a home-made timing pointer and replacing it with the correct one. The home-made one points at least an inch off compared to where the correct one points.

Getting ready to time the engine, which I'm pretty sure will eventually lead me to pulling and re-indexing the oil pump which is installed a tooth or two off by the previous owner along with the home-made pointer. I'll also have to find and mark the pulley for the pointer (haven't found a hole or notch in the pulley yet, might be under paint). The distributor was adjusted all the way against the adjustment stop and ran poorly. My jeep also has the early timing cover to see timing marks on the flywheel. Haven't been able to find them yet because I haven't been able to turn the engine by hand to look--- can't get a socket on the crankshaft pulley nut, can't hand turn it using the fan belts. It's not 1-1/16 nut across the flats like the TM says it should be, it's more like 1-3/8 and mangled some at that. Haven't been able to find a 1-3/8 socket either.

The white mark on the pulley was for the home-made pointer.
My question: can I remove and replace the crankshaft pulley nut with a correct one as it sits? Would probably put a new pulley on at the same time. Anything I should pay particular attention to doing it?

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a 1-3/8 inch 6-point impact socket.......

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not 1-1/16 nut across the flats like the TM says it should be, it's more like 1-3/8 and mangled some at that. Haven't been able to find a 1-3/8 socket either.

The 1 1/16" spec in the ORD 9 ID's the nut's inside diameter. It is designed to fit 1 1/16" Threaded shaft or bolt. 1 3/8" is the correct socket size for the stock nut.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Thanks Wes. Sure wasn't thinking on that one. Embarassed

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well......I found another Baby Ruth in the punch bowl on my Jeep Salad Bar today. (Yes, metaphor mixology is one of my other hobbies). And I thought I'd get back to posting on my project page instead of the Tech Knowledge Base - been lazy about that.

To re-cap, the truck was converted to 12v by previous owner. My 1st jeep (still a rookie), and I always thought the starter turned the engine over pretty well (even if it wouldn't run due to other issues -- all now repaired). No grinding noises, but what the heck do I know? About once in 20-25 attempts the Bendix would spin out but not engage the flywheel. Not a huge problem me thinks (but obviously not right) and it came up on the list for a look today. So, I pulled the starter motor to see what I have. Although I knew I have an early bell housing and starter, I was never certain of the tooth count on the flywheel and starter pinion gear. Now I am.........flywheel is 97-tooth........starter pinion gear is 9-tooth......what? Count them both again. Count was accurate the first time. I learned from Wes here that 97-tooth flywheel goes with 10-tooth pinion gear not 9. The Willys Service Manual is about as clear as mud on this --- too many variables I guess.

I don't have any busted or chipped gear teeth (lucky I guess, or a testimony to a rugged design?) How in the heck could it crank so well?

I cleaned a handful of crud out of the brush end of the motor, and I think the brushes are wearing thin, no doubt a re-build was in my future anyway. But this thing works!

No way to tell what it is...... a 6-volt MZ-4113 with the wrong bendix drive on it? A MZ-4113 re-wound for 12v and a bendix for a 124-tooth flywheel? MZ-4163 ? Possibilities abound, and wondering doesn't get me where I need to go.

The flywheel looks so good (I looked at every tooth during the counts) so I'm not interested in swapping it right now, perhaps later. Besides, I'm thinking with what I have, the supply of MB /CJ-2A starters might be considerably larger. I know, pricing law of supply and demand doesn't have to make sense in this hobby.....just daydreaming.

Right now, I'm thinking I need a solid, reliable, rebuilt MZ-4113, and hope I can get a core charge for this Baby Ruth. There's no old-school starter shops near me.......can anybody recommend a good shop in your neck of the woods?

As always, your comments and advice are appreciated!

--- Enzo Ferrari

Naugha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron, the storyline of your M38 adventure has some of the same plot events found in my build. Looking good but how about some more pics?

.... while you are taking those pics, crawl under the oil pan and do some closeups of the pulley guard, spacers, pan hardware and that other thing..... the one I don’t know what it is or where it goes. Very Happy

What makes all the letters get small ???
M38 Project
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Don, I haven't been too good lately about keeping up with this thread. I'll see what I can do about that.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: