Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Broken Omix Steering Sector Shafts Warning! for my Friends!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken Omix Steering Sector Shafts Warning! for my Friends!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Broken Omix Steering Sector Shafts Warning! for my Friends!! Reply with quote

I figured this was a technical warning. Members of our Jeep groups have experienced a failure you need to immediately know about. Two known steering sector failures have recently occured. The sector shaft is breaking free of the end where the two posts ride in the worm gear. You have no control of your front wheels. This could be fatal!!!!! The culprits are sectors made by Omix Ada. These were 7/8 shafts, and I know the military type was larger. But-------someone could have fit a civilian type Ross box. RICKG will post the photos for you. I hope none of you have this happen to you. Check yours to be sure. Oilly

Quote:
Edited by Wes K :
Both 7/8' and 15/16" shafts are effected by the recall. This is directly from the recall announcement by Omix-Ada: " If you have replaced an Omix steering sector shaft, part numbers 18027.01 (7/8” shaft), 18027.03 (a repair kit with bushings and 7/8” shaft) and 18027.02 (15/16” shaft) identified in this campaign." so be careful and do not assume since you have a 15/16" shaft you are good to go!
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 2A friend's sector broke while backing into his garage after running errands in Omaha traffic.
Last week our 3A friend's sector broke while coming down off of Tin Cup Pass and we had to lash the steering and tow him down off the mountain.
Both friends were with Oilly and I last week so we were able to photograph 2 identical repops with 2 identical failures.

4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting guys.

This is NHTSA recall type stuff. From the looks of them those breaks are symptomatic of a manufacturing problem.

Omix Ada needs to be made aware, as well as our vendors selling them.

No one wants any one hurt and no one wants to sell faulty parts.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you ask them when they bought their sector shafts?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, Rick Cline called his supplier. All they said was they would replace it for no cost. We too asked the same questions. Why wouldn't a parts house stop selling them, and try and warn the customers who bought one? If you look closly at Omix Ada shafts on ebay right now, they are not welded and radiused and the crack is visable where the shaft meets the hole through the plate. Crack meaning the machined non-welded joint. It must flex at this point and with a good turn against it, or jarring action, shears the shaft. This is a accident waiting to happen. Yesterday, my brother-in-law looked at his 50 CJ3A and he has one!!!!!!! He called another supplier and that one said: "I don't sell that crap". I would think the suppliers when called would shake in their boots over this. A easy slam dunk for a lawyer. I'm not sure Omix Ada being "off shore" would be easily litigated against. Anyway, we decided to warn our friends! Oilly
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very concerned about this! The new sector shaft in mine is omix. Rebuilt only 2 years ago. Has this information been sent to omix?

I looked closely at this picture taken during the rebuild to see if there's a joint visible at the bottom of the shaft. It's not perfectly clear but there may be…

M38 CDN
52-30718
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the "crack" or slit on the inside. Is that the larger 15/16 shaft sector? Notice on the picture of the broken shafts the "crack" or slit before the shattered part. That may help you ID the bad ones. Russ on the CJ2A page has opened a "ticket" with Omix. Hopefully they will weigh in on this problem for us. John
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM OR CORRECT REPOP BELOW

FAULTY OMIX BELOW

oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bad sectors had the shaft inserted through the end plate and then welded on the outside. These shafts need to be removed. Originals were forged and then machined or ground to spec all one piece. The Omix shafts were reduced in size where they fit through. So, they are even undersized for the job. Tell all your Jeeper friends that may not see this. John
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find yours to have WAT and a hardened button in it for the adjuster, that one is also good. See photos at G 503 in the MB/GPW technical section. I was able to pull my cover with the fender still on and take a look this AM. Well worth your time. John
RICKG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look like a one piece forging Rick.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look closer Brian. The shaft is one piece with the large flange. The large flange is drilled thru in 2 places for the tracking pins. Then it has a shallow well drilled in the face of the flange for the hardened steel pressure button which the adjusting screw bears against.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the previous owner of your Jeep may have installed one in yours!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
Derstrom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of thing scares the s*** out of me. That's an unacceptable failure. I will be taking a very skeptical look at any Omix parts in the future. Thanks for posting this y'all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: