Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Z's '52 M38 (SN: 61033)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z's '52 M38 (SN: 61033)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold just offered up some very good advice. Get her running, drive and enjoy her a bit giving yourself time to contemplate just what direction you really want to go with her. Throwing a fresh acquisition right onto the rotisserie is not always the best idea. Many projects die right there as folks get bored with the tedious resto work. I have owned 6 jeeps since 1971 and they can get real boring when they are not drivers. It's very easy to get bummed out. My M38 was the heaviest resto I have done on a jeep and it bored me so much I bought an M37 driver which I believe kept me on track with the M38.

Not the prettiest M37 but she runs like a top and has about 7 or 8 coats of military paint on her.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MarkR1951M38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Mark,
I'm not far from you. I'm south of Hampton Cove area. Great to know another project is near. I'm starting slow with mine as I'm prioritizing some construction projects right now. One being "The Garage."
Do you work on the arsenal?

Sometimes, but my main office is off Research Park. I go to Grant quite a few times a month (match direct a shooting club), I might have to swing by New Hope/Owens Crossroads sometime and check out your M38...maybe get some views/pics for my work. Give me an email someday... markruschak@knology.net
Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harold, This sort of input helps me on deciding which way to go with this. I believe my grandfather would appreciate me keeping it original. I need to keep in mind, he is why I have this M38 today. Still not sure yet if I'll come off the frame with it.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Zane_Hall&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M37 looks like a blast! Going to do just that, get it running safe and enjoy it while saving up and build an executable plan. I'll work on small this and that's while keeping it rolling. Fluids, brakes and cleaning is first order of business. My kids are anxious to ride! Thanks!

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Zane_Hall&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And steering.
Starting, stopping, and going where you point it.

Not necessarily in that order.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just discovered that dash and wheel well serial numbers are different.

Dash:

Wheel Well:

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will assume your title says you own an M38 sn 61033.

That is usually a sign that the tub and the title were not matched. Meaning what usually happens is a guy buys an M38 with the dash plates and that serial 61033. Then he buys a used tub in better shape than his and he installs it. Unknown to him there is a tag on each tub behind the passenger seat. And that tub tag was probably covered in paint and he ignored it. Today you found the plate and voila the number on the plate was not 61033.

The other more remote possibility is your M38 was originally sn 60821. At the motor pool back in the 50's the motor pool Sgt sent a pair of privates out to the yard and had them round up all the dash plate sets and bring them to the shop to stamp the new tire pressures on the servicing plate. When another pair of privates were sent out to put the stack of dash plates back on the M38's in the yard they saw no reason to try and match any to a specific M38 because the Army never taught them to use any reference to a serial number. They always ID'd the M38's by their hood number and their motor pool records also only ID'd the M38's by their hood numbers!

The last scenario has an owner of your M38 needs to title it and has no title. So he buys a title with sn 61033 and the dash serial plate. Now he can title his M38 61033.

You can either accept this as is or risk opening Pandora's box by asking or looking for history on both serials. This can lead to a conflict if anyone uncovers another M38 with either of those serials on it's title.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell what the answer is. The tub plate has no paint on it and is attached with screws vs rivets. My grandfather bought this in the late 60s early 70s and always assumed it was all matched original. Wonder if the tub plate was an add on before he bought it?

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the tub plates are fastened with screws.

The early dash plate sets were individually fastened to the dash with screws. The later M38's the set was riveted to a large panel which was then screwed to the dash.

It's anyone's guess what may have happened over the last 65 years.

Which serial number is on your title?

Z

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny things is, the title my grandparents had for it in Indiana used the wrong number for the serial number. They used the last 4 of part number on the data plate and not the serial number. Good thing is that now I have it in AL, I don't have to transfer the title and can request a new one (not required).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: