Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Brake Master Cyl/Lines advice needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Master Cyl/Lines advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longld

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Brake Master Cyl/Lines advice needed Reply with quote

Rebuilding my 53 M38A1 and brakes go to floor - Master Cylinder was empty of fluid - filled it and tried bleeding to one front and one rear wheel - no fluid or air. Pedal goes to floor easily and linkages look good. Suspect Master Cyl needs rebuilt and will do this next - when I remove this what is proper procedure to insure lines clear? Loosen all bleeder fittings and blow pressurized air or....? thanks!!!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-military brake system usually left the military with DOT-5 silicone based brake fluid. The standard civilian fluids DOT-3 & DOT-4 are glycol based. The two are not compatible. The DOT-5 is the hardest to flush and remove all traces of. I won't get into the rediculous arguments between using DOT-5 and DOT-3 or -4. You can educate your self on what is the best choice to use from now on by just googling DOT-5 vs DOT-3/4. Suffice it to say I do not use DOT-5 and 99% of the automotive industry does not use DOT-5.

If you have no idea what your system has in it then just buy a can of DOT-3 and compare smells!

When dealing with an empty system you will normally have to fill the master cylinder several times. Now if you filled the master cylinder and pumped the brake pedal full stroke over twenty times and the master cylinder is still full then you have an issue with the master cylinder bypassing internally

In your case I would start by flushing the entire system with Iso-propyl-Alcohol. Strip clean with (Iso-propyl-Alcohol) & rebuild the master cylinder and all four wheel cylinders.

http://www.ucx.com/documents/brakefluidrev.pdf

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your brake master cylinder was dry you may want to carefully inspect all the lines and wheel cylinders for rust and gunk. If the vehicle had not been properly maintained the brake system may be gunked up to the point that a alcohol rinse will not really do much good. When I started working on my M38 the brakes worked but a look at what came out of the master cylinder and lines convinced me I would have to re-accommodate some parts.
Replacing the lines/hoses is pretty easy and will assure you that you can use any brake fluid you choose without contamination from what was used previously.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
I'm looking up brake fluid information. It looks like:
A) I need to stick with DOT 5 fluid for my 1952 M38
Or
B) It doesn't matter what I use. ..

Your earlier post about not mixing the fluid types makes sense. I need to top off the fluids so which do I go with? I think it's the DOT 5 but want to confirm first.

Thanks!
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to confirm which fluid is in there is to smell it.

If you don't know what Dot 5 and Dot 3/4 smell like then buy a can of each sniff them and then sniff what's in your jeep.

Quote:

This is not an option. You can't mix them period.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes.
We got it figured out. All set!
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
Furley11

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whydahdvr wrote:
Wes,
I'm looking up brake fluid information. It looks like:
A) I need to stick with DOT 5 fluid for my 1952 M38
Or

Your earlier post about not mixing the fluid types makes sense. I need to top off the fluids so which do I go with? I think it's the DOT 5 but want to confirm first.

Thanks!

I just did a full MC and line replacement in my M38. The cost and ease of doing it versus the problems that can arise (brakes going out) make it a no brainer to do a full replacement of MC and lines. Then, you can put whatever fluid you want to in there.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album503&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: