Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - F134 engine overhaul guestions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F134 engine overhaul guestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason86

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: F134 engine overhaul guestions Reply with quote

I've got 2 engines to choose from that I have not seen run. One is seized from sitting and the other one the guy said ran fine when it was removed from my project jeep and appears to be fine. My plan is to do a complete rebuild of one of them so I know the condition of the motor when I go to install, it will most likely be the locked up one since it still has the engine #s stamped in the block so I know it hasn't been too molested and I can resurface valve cover/head. I figured it needs an overhaul anyway assuming it is not cracked this is going to be the the block to tear apart. Ive been buying Nos parts as I find them.

My overhaul question I have is I'm going to buy a NOS camshaft to take up all the wear I can in the block since it doesn't have any replaceable bearings other than the front so I can't do much other than replace with a new shaft and hope to get it within spec. I don't know the current condition or tolerance of the engine shaft or bores now but figured it wouldn't hurt to throw in a new cam. I've looked through the tech books military and civy and couldn't find any specs for max out of tolerance bore size or max clearance between the bore and shaft. I've looked at the spec sheets but it only tells of the factory standard size I can't recall exactly but I believe it was .001 clearance but would like to know what the max allowable clearance is after installing a new cam before the block is considered out of serviceable tolerance.

My other overhaul question is while I'm in there should I have hardened seats installed at the machine shop and should I be replacing the valves with the new modern style valves with the updated lockers and keepers or should I stay with the older style NOS valves?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be reading TM 9-1804A, Page 125. There's plenty more info there besides new specs - limits. The civvy Willys/Kaiser manual has less info then the TM.

The minimum cam journal diameters (read max wear here)are:

#1 = 2.182
#2 = 2.121
#3 = 2.085
#4 = 1.621

The max clearance between the cam journals and #1 bearing is .004 and the max clearance between the #2, 3 & 4 cam journals and the block bore is .004

Before I bought a new cam I would measure cam lift at each lifter, then check end play within .004-.007 limits. Then remove the cam, inspect lobe profiles and fuel pump cam profile then mike the journal diameters and the #1 bearing ID and #2, 3 & 4 block bore's ID. If not out of tolerance then retain the original cam.

Hardened valve seats are not a necessity with these 60 HP engines. Now if you beef up valve spring loads, make performance changes that increase cruising RPM above 3500, and increase compressions to use higher octane gas then by all means they become more of a necessity.

The bottom line is to give every engine being considered for overhaul a complete teardown, cleaning and proper inspection BEFORE committing to the overhaul.

That #1 cam bearing comes in several undersizes. Don't overlook lifter diameters and lifter bore diameters. The lifters are also available in oversize.

Makes no difference weather you use the late or early type valves so long as you do not try and mix and match.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jason86

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you wesk that's exactly what I wad looking for and wanted to hear. I looked for that info but guess I was looking in the wrong books.

Last edited by Jason86 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason to not have the correct books. You will find them all in PDF format on our "Downloads" page. Please take advantage of these free tools.

You'll need as a minimum :

TM 9-8012 M38 Operator's Handbook
TM 9-1804A M38 engine & clutch
TM 9-1804B M38 Chassis & Running Gear
ORD 9 SNL G-740 M38 illustrated parts list.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: