Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Help with long sitting Willy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with long sitting Willy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kill666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Help with long sitting Willy Reply with quote

Hey All!
This is my first post and was hoping that you all could give me some help/advice. This weekend I am taking a trip to go and get my grandpa's 1942 Willy that he was issued after WWII. I currently have a auto hauler and am going to be towing it behind my liberty so I am not trying to get it started. It has been sitting out in the wilderness of north eastern Washington state for between 12 and 18 months. Can anyone give me advice in moving it safely onto the hauler without seizing up the engine? Anything I should absolutely not do? Or if anyone has been in a similar situation as me can you please let me know what you did successfully and what you would have done differently? The man that has been "taking care" of it for the past few years says that the tires aren't in very good shape. Any advice in helping me get it safely to my home would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Boze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first start with the towing capacity of your Liberty. It only has a V6, right? Check your owners manual. I think you are overtaxing the tow vehicle. Once you solve that, don't worry about "seizing" the engine. You just put the transmission in neutral.

Do some research on the web on towing before you go. There is lots to learn.

How did you plan on loading it onto the hauler trailer? Is there a winch?

You should have plenty of wood blocks, tie down chains and binders to hold the Jeep in place. Do not scrimp. Minimum of two forward and two reverse.

I would seek help from my friends, especially if one or more has experience in doing this type of vehicle handling. Ask them to come along and feed them along the way. This isn't something you want to to by trial and error.

Good luck.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to move it manually by shifting into neutral. Then man handle it into position to load on the hauler. A come along or winch will greatly assist on loading it onto the trailer. If the tires are in real bad shape you will may need to change them out, but that depends on the tires...

Transport it with the windshield down, not in the raised position. this will prevent damage to it.

I am not sure of the towing capacity of the Liberty, but I would use at a minimum a 1/2 ton full sized Pick up truck. Car hauler and Jeep is quite a bit of weight and stopping will be your biggest problem.

There are others that may have further comments... but this is my advice...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
Kill666

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys! The last time I saw it my grandpa had stripped it down to the bare essentials so I actually think my Liberty is going to be fine for towing. Unfortunately it is the only vehicle that I have available for this so it is going to have to do. I'm already an annoying driver that drives the speed limit so I thought that if I just went the recommended speed (55 mph) for the trailer that I would potentially be alright. I assumed that I could just put it in neutral and forcing it onto the hauler would be the way to go but as I am new at this and know little about this vehicle I wanted to reach out and ask.
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to tie down the axles not the frame/body. If you attach above the suspension it can easily come loose. The others covered everything else I can think of.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, It sounds like e is using a car tote not a trailer. Two of the jeeps wheels will be rolling on the highway.

My advice is when transporting vehicles that have set for quite some time (especially out in the elements) is to haul them on a trailer and not with a car tote. You do not want to deal with blown old tires, frozen wheel nuts and dry axle gear boxes on the open highway. You want the jeep completely off the road. Also prolonged high speed towing with the rear wheels on the ground can cause issues with the tranfer case lubrication.

I believe the towing capacity of the Liberty is 2000 lbs total towed load. Don't overlook a trooper stopping you and checking your weight limit.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Kill666

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Tow Capacity Averted!! Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all your help ad suggestions on getting my Willys home. My Wife's coworker is letting us borrow his 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel to do the towing so I wont have to be worrying about it being too heavy for my ride. I have a feeling I dodged a bullet there.
DJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is,are you using a trailer or a two wheell dolly. If a dolly the prep is a lot different.
Kill666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm using a trailer. Those bad tires will not be touching any asphalt.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then all that is left is securing the jeep on the trailer. Not only the chassis to the trailer but I make sure that no single part of the jeep will flap in the wind.

1-Hood latches fastened. If missing or loose strap the hood closed.
2-Windshield folded down on hood. Add soft cushions between windshield glass and hood. Foam or shipping blanket works. If the stock tie down straps or footman loops are missing or damaged strap the windshield down.
3-Seats secured. If any seat is free to move then strap it down.
4-Tailgate secured or removed and placed in the truck.
5-Mirrors checked for being tight.
6-I usually screw small pieces of 2x4's directly to the trailer deck at each wheel as a chock to prevent forward/aft movement and side to side movement. Eight 12" pieces will do the job. 1 in front of each forward tires and one in rear of each aft tire. Then one against the outboard side of each tire sidewall.
7-Center jeep on trailer so load is slightly biased forward but not enough to exceed hitch vertical load.
8-Strap or chain jeep chassis to the deck.
9-One last check to insure no loose objects were left inside the jeep.
10-Check trailer lights & brakes.
11-Have a safe trip.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Then all that is left is securing the jeep on the trailer. Not only the chassis to the trailer but I make sure that no single part of the jeep will flap in the wind.

1-Hood latches fastened. If missing or loose strap the hood closed.
2-Windshield folded down on hood. Add soft cushions between windshield glass and hood. Foam or shipping blanket works. If the stock tie down straps or footman loops are missing or damaged strap the windshield down.
3-Seats secured. If any seat is free to move then strap it down.
4-Tailgate secured or removed and placed in the truck.
5-Mirrors checked for being tight.
6-I usually screw small pieces of 2x4's directly to the trailer deck at each wheel as a chock to prevent forward/aft movement and side to side movement. Eight 12" pieces will do the job. 1 in front of each forward tires and one in rear of each aft tire. Then one against the outboard side of each tire sidewall.
7-Center jeep on trailer so load is slightly biased forward but not enough to exceed hitch vertical load.
8-Strap or chain jeep chassis to the deck.
9-One last check to insure no loose objects were left inside the jeep.
10-Check trailer lights & brakes.
11-Have a safe trip.

12-pics when you get it home.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would offer up my experience as well.
I have a 1952 M38 and have trailered it without problem from both my 1996 Chevy Tahoe and my 2008 LR3. Both have V8s and towing capacity of 5000#s or higher. You still feel it though....
For a trailer I've used a 6x12 open Haul utility trailer. I've used that for the last 7 years without any issues. Definitely tie it down well though!

This year I bought my wife a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the brochure shows a similar jeep (rated for 35003s) towing a CJ3A. Looks to me like you would be OK with the Cherokee and a V6 but it depends on what the hitch and vehicle are rated for.

All that said, Wes's experience and many of the others is greater than mine. I started using the UHaul trailer after a close friend of mine - former SF Combat Engineer, Army 1SG, and Civil Engineer (built hospitals) - said that's what he used with his WWII MB until he got a large 2-wheel trailer.

I'm in the middle of picking up a 1942 GPW from Seattle but I'm having an auto transporter do the job, with an enclosed trailer, to bring it to the Boston, MA area. It's expensive (evaluating my options right now) but saves me the time and money of a very long trip on my own.

Good luck!
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
Kill666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I havent responded in a couple days cause I have been on the road but GOOD NEWS!! We have arrived safely home, safe and sound. Thank you for all your advice so far. I am sure I will be calling on you soon for more. Well...... I suppose now would be good. How do I upload images here? I want to show her off. I have decided to name her Winnie after my grandma who was married to my grandpa who was a WWII veteran and the whole reason that I am able to appreciate this amazing piece of history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: