Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Crankshaft end float
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crankshaft end float

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brumbach

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft end float Reply with quote

Not talking about end play at the moment. I have the bare crank(reconditioned) with properly sized new bearings installed in the block and torqued down. I'm able to move the crank from front limits to rear limits over a distance of .039. I believe this is called "end float". Is this excessive? Thanks in advance.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all practical purposes end play and end float are one in the same for the Willys 4's. As you probably would have noted when you researched the specs they are only given as max endplay with .004 - .006" being the limits. As long as the limits can be maintained using the required # of shims and there is no visible damage or heavy wear indications at any point along the length of the crankshaft & block you do not have a problem.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative response but doesn't really answer my question. Anyone else?
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he did.

.039 versus .004-.006 is a deal killer if you can’t
correct it with proper shimming.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shims "add to" and not "take away" if we're talking about end-play but I'm not. Thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in a big hurry to dismiss the obvious answers so let's try a different approach. You said:
Quote:
I believe this is called "end float".
What then is your definition of crankshaft end float and give us your illustration of how you determined the amount you have.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My definition is in my opening statement. I'm trying to determine if the travel distance of the crankshaft "unsecured laterally" in the block is a critical measurement. I fully understand endplay and it's purpose. What I'm describing is NOT endplay. I'm inspecting and measuring components returned by the machine shop before I proceed with assembly. I cannot find anything in manuals addressing this measurement and there may be good reason...it ain't important! That's what I'm hoping you or others will tell me. If it is important and .039 is excessive, then the machine shop may have turned my crankshaft into a nice boat anchor. Hope this helps. Thanks
LTDan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brum would it be possible for you to take and upload some pictures for us? Showing exactly how you are measuring and the setup. You can also use the paint program to draw any arrows and explinations in the pictures.
Brumbach

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If permissible, I can provide a link that demonstrates how the measure it taken. Wes will have to authorize.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just post a photo of you taking the end float measurement. A camera selfie while actually measuring will work. Then post the photo to your photo album here http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album487&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php The follow the instructions here to post it to your discussion.
Here's the rules:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=498

Here's the tutorial for loading your album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the tutorial for posting your photos:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

Brumbach

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTDan wrote:
Brum would it be possible for you to take and upload some pictures for us? Showing exactly how you are measuring and the setup. You can also use the paint program to draw any arrows and explinations in the pictures.
I've sent you a pm with the link that demonstrates how I measured end float. They interchange the term endplay but you'll get my drift. Thanks
LTDan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brum, I checked your video out.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=measuring+crankshaft+end+float&view=detail&mid=41202C3BE0F77B520B8A41202C3BE0F77B520B8A&FORM=VIRE

I'll link it here for the others, check out the TM on this one the page for end play is on page 121 of the manual item number 107. adjust crank shaft end play. Start at page 107 item number 95 and read through.

There are shim washers installed on the crankshaft as well to take up the end play that are easily removed with pliers.

The TM has you check and adjust the end play with several parts installed in the motor as well, such as the pistons and cam shaft.

Here is the link for the TM

http://willysmjeeps.com/downloads/M38A1-Engin.Clutch.pdf
Brumbach

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done all you mention and have no problem establishing endplay. I'm setting between .004 and .005. If you have reviewed the video, however, then you should understand how I've determined crankshaft travel distance (end float) of .039 which hopefully makes no difference for the L134. I'll admit, I like the answer! Thanks
Brumbach

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies to Wes. His last sentence of initial post gave me the answer. He's probably right, I must've been in a hurry. Thanks Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: