Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38a1 dash hook up for Wes question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38a1 dash hook up for Wes question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shug4

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: M38a1 dash hook up for Wes question Reply with quote

Wes I have m38a1 electrical problems. This is going to be a long one. First no juice to light switch at all. I have an ignition switch that has 4 wires coming from it labeled A,B,C and D. A and C are hooked together going to hot wire. D is hooked to 12 and B has 2 wires coming out from it labeled 85 and 27. 27 is hooked to one of the 4 wires on the spider cluster. The other 3 wires on the spider cluster are hooked to fuel , water temp,and oil pressure guages. 33 is hooked to temp guages 36 to the oil and 28 to the fuel guage. 8 goes to the battery guage and 9 which has juice all the time is not hooked up. 40 is hooked up to the dash lights. 17 to dim and bright light on dash. 85 not hooked up but has juice when ignition switch is turned on. 25,15,11 not hooked up but has no juice at all even when ignition switch is turned on. When I turn the ignition switch on and take a multimeter to the wire connector that plugs into the light switch I have no juice to it. I am missing something but can't figure it out.I have looked at the diagrams but can't find some of the wires I have. Can you give me some information or pictures to show me what I am doing wrong.I also have a 5 wire spider wire cluster that I haven't tried yet. Thanks for any help you give me.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions.

Is your jeep 24 volts?

You say 85 is hot when the switch is on. Is 85 hooked
up to something so it can’t short out when on?
If not, this is dangerous and needs to be fixed
before you go any further.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Shug4

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't hooked up. Was told it goes to heater switch if one was installed.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lights don't go through the ignition switch. The main feed is from the regulator harness to the circuit breakers. One of the circuit breakers is dedicated to the lights and is "hot" all the time.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow down a bit folks. Make sure you read his story completely and take notes.

1- He has an M38A1. NO CIRCUIT BREAKERS except the one inside the main light switch.

2- Yes # 85 if left unused must be insulated with tape or have a dummy connector installed in it.

3 - Shug, you need to tell us the whole story first! As already asked, is your jeep a stock 24 volt system?

4 - That 4 wire switch is a much later manufacture and was not meant for use in the M38/M38A1/M170 series. They are on todays surplus market and fairly cheap so quite a few are being used in our jeeps.

Quote:
First no juice to light switch at all. I have an ignition switch that has 4 wires coming from it labeled A,B,C and D. A and C are hooked together going to hot wire. Make sure this hot wire is #11 and that it in turn is still connected to #10/#15. If the #10 double connector is not fastened to 15 & 25 then you will not have power to the main light switch, horn switch or the ignition switch. D is hooked to 12 and B has 2 wires coming out from it labeled 85 and 27. 27 is hooked to one of the 4 wires on the spider cluster.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE COMPLETE WIRING DIAGRAM LAYING IN FRONT OF YOU AS YOU WORK THIS PROBLEM.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Shug4

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M38a1 is a stock 24 volt system. I Got the wiring harness from Calvin Ishmael.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And have you confirmed continuity from the voltage regulator on Wire #10 to the split connector and then on thru wire # 15 to wire # 11 and the ignition switch and wire 25 to the horn?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Shug4

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take a picture of the wires under dash with the numbers and pit them on here to see. I will be better to explain with pictures. I do have the switch shown above for the m37 on it.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still No Photos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: