Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Say hello to MB 13141X
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Say hello to MB 13141X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Say hello to MB 13141X Reply with quote

I know its an MB, but the name of this forum is Willys Military Jeeps. And the MB would be one of those.

Delivered 3/27/1942. She is one of the first with the pressed steel grill that replaced the "slat" grill. A rare Jeep as she is also a "script" jeep, that means it has the embossed WILLYS across the bottom left of the tubs rear panel.

Unfortunately the original engine is long gone, replaced by an F head. But the T-84 and the correct transfer are still underneath.

'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
dpcd67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. You should also go over to G503.
I think the name of this forum is "M"Jeeps, which means, jeeps after they started using M, in the designation of wheeled vehicles, like they did for a long time on Weapons. It doesn't mean Military. It's Model. Before that we used the vehicle manufacturer's model name for them.
But I'm sure you are welcome here.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah maybe, LOL. the web address is willysmjeeps, but the banner is:

so I took the liberty.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
RICKG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find.. Yours??
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Guys let's keep an open mind and re-read our group's goals in our introduction:

Quote:
Welcome to the new willysmjeeps website!

This website started out as the Yahoo M38 group and has grown to the point where more space was needed. Our group is composed of a group of friends with a common interest in Willys Overland military vehicles of all types.
Our goal is to share information and help others with their WO military vehicles.
The information contained herein is given freely with the request that you respect the people and the many hours put forth in order to share it.

THIS WEBSITE IS FREE AND WITHOUT ADVERTISING OR OTHER SPONSORSHIP.
TO ACCESS THE FILES AND PHOTOS SECTIONS OF THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST FIRST REGISTER AS A USER.

The website is organized into 3 main categories:

1. Message board: Members are allowed to post in all message boards. Non-members can post on the "For Sale" message board only. Please remember to be respectfull to everyone when posting a message.

2. Photo Gallery: Accessable to members only. Members need to request a personal gallery in which the administrator will set up a gallery for the member to post photos. Gallery photos are accessable for displaying with message board threads. See the FAQ on how to obtain your own personal photo gallery and how to post a photo with your messages on the forums.

3. File database (listed under DOWNLOADS): Accessable to members only. These are informative files and facts about various aspects of Willys Overland military vehicles (engine, frame, how to, troubleshooting, other information), etc. We are currently adding files as we get time so check back if you don't see the info you are looking for.

If you are interested in joining our website, feel free to submit a request for membership. You only have to have a sincere interest in our groups subject (WO military vehicles) and do not have to own a vehicle to be a member. We do not share any personal information at anytime to anyone.

Membership approval is a manual process and so it may take a couple of days to get processed as the administrators are running this site in their spare time. Please be sure to reply to the initial automatic email that will be sent upon your membership request.

Feel free to email with any questions or concerns/comments and we will be happy to adress them as time permits.
admin@willysmjeeps.com

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Wes Knettle and Ryan Miller
Website co-owners and administrators
Wes, Ryan, Ben

The 2nd & 3rd sentences pretty much cover this topic completely!

And, by the way, the M in MA was the Willys model designation for a military series jeep built by Willys and the A represented Willys first military jeep. The B in MB represented Willys 2nd military model jeep. Military vehicles up thru 1950 had the G numbering system IE all Willys MA's MB's, Ford GP's & GPW's and Bantam BRC's were G503 units. The M in M38 however was the Army's military designation for a vehicle designed to fill a military contract hence M series does refer to those M series Army vehicles built by Willys, Kaiser, AMC & AM General from 1950 on that for our group's purpose fell into the Jeep type 1/4 Ton military vehicle or Willys/Kaiser built military trucks.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dpcd67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear on wheeled vehicle names; prior to 1950, Wheeled Vehicles procured by the Govt used the contractor's designations and model numbers.
Unlike Weapons, which have been using Ordnance assigned M "model' designations since the US was formed.
After WW2, we started assigning wheeled vehicles the same system of Model numbers as Weapons. Which is why we can have an M1 Rifle and an M1 Tank.
And an M37 Machine Gun and an M37 truck.
I think it is because for the first 150 years, we only used horses for transportation, those needing no Model number, so when the internal combustion engine came into wide use by the Army, it was not deemed necessary to give them the same respect that Weaons of all types had.
Hows that for a theory?
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICKG wrote:
nice find.. Yours??

Yes, bought it out of a barn (actually a stable) last week.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazingly complete and stock. Looks like very little serious rust as well.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is rust issues n the bottom of the fuel tank well. The bottom half of the tank its self is completely gone. The hat sections in place have lost their tops which I haven't seen before. Basically the floor over the hat has gone away but the wood and the bottoms are intact.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rare an odd grills seem to find their way to me. you may remember last year I came up with a very odd ball M38 grill. Well as I explore my new MB friend with the help of some knowledgeable folks over at the 503, seems this Jeep has a rare one of its own.

When Willys went from the slat grill to the pressed steel grill in March of 1942, the very first run of grills (no more that a couple weeks worth) were made without the notch at the top that clears the hood stiffeners. This is one of them.

[/img]
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been making some progress on this Jeep over the months. The transmission and transfer case had filled with water over the years and revealed an orange/brown mess when opened. The cases, covers, levers etc were salvageable. I located a donor t-84 transmission, so between the two that is sorted out. Also found a complete early transfer case for a great price so that too is off the checklist.

Next is to remove the tub and power unit (old engine, trans, transfer). I have arranged a trade to get rid of the F head and in its place got an MB engine. Perfect.

While not positive i think I want to do this jeep up as a "Follow Me" radio jeep representation. I like the checkerboard paint scheme!

Over time I have collected some real oddities that you don't see everyday on MBs. Time to put them to good use. Amongst the kits are the dual wheel conversion for the rear axle (MZ type I believe), The 12V 55A and shield kit, uses the same generator/regulator as the 12V WC Dodges and relocates the batteries (two six volt) into a box between the seats. Coolant recovery surge tank kit for the from of the grill and lastly 2 12V electric windshield defrosters. Should make for a different Jeep.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the website!

We welcome all Willy's Jeep owners even though we are mostly focused on the M series stuff.

I for one also have a 1959 CJ3B project that will probably start this winter since my twin sons are about the age they can start doing some work with me.

Looks like you are off to a good start, finding a good project vehicle is the basis for a more enjoyable restoration.

A lesson that I have yet to learn!
bbloom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Even has the early "GAS" gauge.
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Bill's Speedometer to go through my gauges they can reface them too if needed.

I don't know how easy it is to find early MB gauges in good condition.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan!

I may have to look them up for some gauge restorations for the Command Car project.

MB gauges can be found but sometimes they come with sticker shock. I understand the going rate for the "gas" gauge is around 500 dollars Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: