Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Misc. questions with M-38 project.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misc. questions with M-38 project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcountryman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Misc. questions with M-38 project. Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am currently working on a 1951 M38 frame off restoration. Forgive my ignorance, but I am curious to try and figure out if my jeep is 12v or 24v? The guy I purchased it from made mention, but was unsure. It looks to have original generator and starter.

If anyone also know where to get a L134 redone? The engine shop I went to wouldnt touch it due to rust and it being difficult to come apart.

Thanks
Kendall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start by checking if there is one (12 volt) or two batteries (24 volts).
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
dpcd67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a complete set of TMs, including the engine and drive train manuals and the SNL, and study them for about a month before you do anything. Then you will see that there is and never was any such thing as a 12 volt M38.
As for your engine, find a new shop. For a shop to rebuild an engine will cost a few K dollars; which is why I just have the machine shop do the machining and I do the assembly.
Abrahams Automotive Machine shop in Davenport IA knows how to do them.
Bring it over and we will bust it apart first. Saves a lot of money that way.
Ray101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be ID tags on the starter, generator, distributor etc, the orginal military tags for my M38 say Generator 24V etc, if they are civy then there going to be 12v
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three important things missing in the first three posts.

Posts 1 and 3 could use a location under their username like posts 2 & 4 have so when you ask a question like:
Quote:
If anyone also know where to get a L134 redone?
You won't get a reply listing an engine shop 900 miles away from you.

Posts 1, 2 &3 have no signature element. This is where I have always suggested you put a real first name and the model & year of your jeep so folks will get comfortable replying to a person and not an old modified "CB Handle". And if you forget to start your post with what model jeep to get everyone on the same page then your signature element will always be there to provide that info.

I took a moment to read these posts several times and this is what I gleaned from them.

1 - bcountryman (we do not know this person by name) just started on an M38 project and he is not a mechanic so he is not sure if it currently has a 12 or 24 volt system on it. Kendall offered a good check out method.

2 - dpcd67 (we do not know this person by name) offered good advice with reference to studying the free manuals we have available here before embarking on the large undertaking of a complete frame off resto.

3 - Ray offered another possible way to check but I must remind him there are civvy 24V electrics out there. My M38 has a civvy Delco 1 wire 24V alternator on it.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bcountryman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. I did purchase the manuals for this vehicle and have gone through, but wanted to get some more verification.

I currently reside in Northern Indiana and will see about tearing down the engine prior to getting it machined.

Thanks again!

Brian C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: