Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1953 M38A1 Floor Riser
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1953 M38A1 Floor Riser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: 1953 M38A1 Floor Riser Reply with quote

My 1953 M38A1 Floor Riser needs to be replaced. I got a replacement (reproduction) from Classic Enterprises and it has two small reinforcement C-channels about 4" wide installed at the body mount locations, my original does not. Was this an engineered change made for later production Jeeps?

Thanks,

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
Mike_B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you M38A1 guys care to look at your body mount to see if it's single metal or double metal at the Riser to frame bolt locations. It's easy to see, just look ahead of the tire at the frame riser location...no creeper required.

Thanks for your input,

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps tremendously when you ask questions about how something looks if you post a photo of what you are looking at.

Is this the part you received from Classic Enterprises? It is the early CJ5 unit that they market as useable on the M38A1.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

Yes that's the part.

So is that a CJ5 only part or did the later A1's get the extra metal as well?

Sorry about not posting pictures, but I struggle with resizing, so I just wimp out and don't do it at all.

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth the pain of learning because it makes it much easier to accurately present your questions and let folks know your needs. Apparently you have something on the rear side of your new riser panel that we can't see in the only on line photo of Classic Enterprise's front view of the replacement you have.

This is a good view of the 53 M38A1 riser panel from the rear and those two sets vertical rows of six rivets each seen on the Classic Enterprise's part are not there. Also note these two areas do not come in contact with the tub's front floor reinforcement hat channels.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tub looks like the one in your picture.

The new Riser is double framed (for lack of a better description) and the inner C channel frame pieces are spot welded where you see the welds burn marks and on the top and bottom flanges (not shown).

So, is this a CJ only thing or did the later A1's also get this added metal?

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thru 1955 the M38A1 looks as posted. I suppose you would like to see a 56-68 model M38A1's riser panel as much as we would like to see exactly what you are not doing so well at explaining. Can't say it better than a"Picture is truly worth a 1000 words!"

Mike_B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album568&id=M38A1_Rised_Doc_large&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

OK, hope this works...Well I got the picture to my gallery page, but failed to get it here... Sad

This picture is with my tub resting with the drivers side on the floor. The replacement Riser is leaning against the floor with the original riser in the background, so both new and old are in the same picture.

Mike B Smile

1st click on the small yellow box above with img in it [img] then click on it again now that it has that little * included to the top right [/img]
2st open the thumbnail in your photo album with a single left click. Then right click on the middle size photo and from the drop down menu select "Copy image address" Then come to this post and where you left these " [img][/img] " paste your "Copied image address in between these [img]copied image address[/img] you will get this:

1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that either:

1 - Sometime after 1955 Willys reinforced that riser panel at least for the CJ5's if not also for the post 55 M38A1's

or

2 - Classic enterprises decided to add that little reinforcement.

Have you asked Classic Enterprises if the doubler is their invention? If they say no then ask them, can they tell you exactly what model jeep they copied the riser from for their prototype.

I have a 1960 CJ5 with no evidence of those doublers.

Mike_B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, I think I got it.

I'll call Classic Enterprises and see what they have to say.

Is there an easy way to jump from my photo gallery (after I copy the image address) back to the thread I want to insert it into? I just used the back button and kept clicking until I was back, is that the way you do it?

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I always open the photo page on a separate tab. This can be tough to do when you aren't using a PC or lap top. But it makes the posting of photos much easier.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While offering advice another thing with photos and their relative file size. The more background scenery you leave in a photo the more wasted bandwidth we have.

Try to trim the background crap out of your photos. Most PC or Laptop users have Microsoft Word and/or Microsoft Office which contains a built in photo working program called "Paint". Try to ise it for trimming the useless material off your photos, for reducing file size and for placing annotations on your photos.

Here's your original middle size shot of your original jeep. It's file size is 244K. Just fine size wise.

It took me 5 minutes to download your original 244K photo, delete the background and reduce it's size to 198K and post it to your photo album and post it here.

It took me another 5 minutes to add the writing to the 198K photo and it is now a 202K photo and I have posted it to your album and then copied it here.

Mike_B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, I'll keep the crop feature in mind when I load pictures again.

The front bumper/grille guard was added by the VFD when they built the Jeep into a Brush Unit in 1985. The Jeep was originally fitted with a PTO winch, but the VFD had safety issues with the members using it, so they pulled it off and added an electric Warn winch with remote control. The winch mounting plate looks stock to me as it mounts via four captured nuts that are welded to the inside of the frame boxing.

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: