Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 12-54 USMC M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12-54 USMC M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MVPile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: 12-54 USMC M38A1 Reply with quote

Like so many others before, I have a question about hood numbers. I have an M38A1 jeep and it’s definitely a 12-1954 production vehicle, Serial number 78913(Via the data plates). The vehicle, though highly modified with a winch, 12V, wrong tires,and incorrect engine, has all the attributes of a USMC vehicle.(Lifting bumpers and shackles). I was told it came out of Barstow CA. All numbers were sanded off before I acquired the vehicle. It definitely was Marine green with some Marine markings on it. (Drain plug warnings in yellow etc). Research on this page has shown that a vehicle produced 200 vehicles before mine was definitely an Army 12-54 vehicle with a 2A hood number. Is there a chance that mine was one of the vehicles that was handed off from the Army in the 1960s? Does anyone have a guess what the correct USMC hood number should be for this vehicle?
I’m down to plotting out and painting my last stencils for the hood for Veterans Day. I’m considering just using the army 2A1098 number for this vehicle as it is not a restoration vehicle unlike the others that I own. This number would be 200 up from the known vehicle serial and hood number I mentioned.
I have 4 other vehicles prepped and ready for Veterans Day. It would be nice to have this one numbered.

Steve
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinning down a Marine hood number is tougher then an Army hood number. The Army hood numbers were assigned in lots to match the number of jeeps procured on each specific contract and they followed essentially in order except for a few hundred delayed jeeps that were late leaving the plant. Over their 10 to 15 years of service with the Army they were bounced around between units and serial numbers became much less sequential within a unit. Then as the Army retired them in the 60's for the m151's they were released to DRMO in many lots and when the Marines decided to rescue them they were of course rescued in many smaller lots. These lots were assigned hood numbers at Barstow or Albany depots as they were processed. As you can see by now the more rigid factory order of serials was no longer possible. As a rule if you cannot find the USMC hood number under your paint, the serial will not help you. The dash "Responsible Agency plate is not a lot of help because those units processed thru the two depots had USMC/USMC responsible agency plates installed. There are very few paths to follow for research an individual M38A1's USMC service.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MVPile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Just what I expected Reply with quote

Thanks Wes for your very prompt and helpful reply. Your answer was pretty much what I suspected. I though that I should at least try as you may have had a vehicle in your lists that nearly matched my vehicle profile.
Tomorrow I’ll fire up the stencil plotter and cross the hood numbers off of my Veterans Day to do list.
Thanks again
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: