Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - m38 tail light wires
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

m38 tail light wires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usmcdad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: m38 tail light wires Reply with quote

I have just installed a M38 left side rear tailight, along with a new wiring harness, and not having an old tail light to cook book off of, I am wondering if someone could give me a hand with the tail light wire ID. Naturally, there was no diagram with the new light. The little metal tags on the wires are marked 24, 23, and 22. I imagine there is a power, stop, and ground sequence but I was mentally injured trying to hook up some trailer wiring not long ago and haven't recovered yet. Any help will be appreciated.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help you.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you posted I believe you describe installing a new harness and a new left side rear lamp assembly on the left side of the jeep.

If this is true there should be no issues to deal with. Just match the 3 numbers on the lamp pigtails with the same 3 numbers in your harness.

If you mean you are adding a new left lamp assembly to the right side so you can have two red brake lamps then that is an entirely different issue.

Are you also adding turn signals? If yes are you using the early or late system?

I really don't want to offer any advice on any wiring question without it be very clear what is being done.

This illustration shows the normal functions of each bulb in each rear lamp:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
usmcdad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: M38 tail light wires Reply with quote

Outstanding. Thanks for the help. I knew I was in trouble when I stepped on the brakes and the horn honked Wink
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you also adding turn signals? If yes are you using the early or late system?

So, are you adding turn signals or not? Are you in fact adding a new 3 lamp left assy to the right side?

I have some diagrams to help with these but you should let us know what you are doing. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Tembek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cacti_Ken wrote:
Maybe this will help you.

Wow this diagram was really helpful. I had the one from the manual but this one with the colors and descriptions really answered a lot of questions for me.

Thanks for posting it.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album402&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefull. That is a privately penned color line drawing representing a late M38 minus circuit breakers and using only the late one plug light switch.

It is simple to just take the correct for your M38 diagram from the manual and color wires which just makes them a wee bit easier to trace in the diagram but keep in mind the military used all black or all white wiring harness using numbers for circuit ID not colors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: