Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Massive Carb flooding on M38 Carter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Massive Carb flooding on M38 Carter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 109, par. 91 of TM 9-1826A dtd 1952 Low Speed Circuit Operation.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
joebuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks wes... that diagram is making more sense...

Heres is a pic of gas in manifold after it was dry and I trired to crank it. Tried a couple of tries then pulled off carb and this is how much gas was in it.....

is this excessive? If so then that excessive fuel is entering in one of two spots? the passage or economizer?

https://imgur.com/a/EUyHvjo
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photo links are a pita for most folks. Unless you have a photo file on a photo hosting site that is open to public viewing the photos cannot be linked to appear in your posts on our web site.

It's a lot easier to just add you an album here on our web site:

Here's your album:
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album632&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the rules:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=498

Here's the tutorial for loading your album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album53&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here's the tutorial for posting your photos:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

I loaded your fuel in intake photo to your new album and here is how easy it is to link it to this post.

The problems you are researching are extremely rare and we still have not heard you comment on the results of more simple troubleshooting. IE is your bowl vent open (unblocked)? Are you feeding air under pressure to your bowl vent? (This can happen when you connect the vent line to a pickup tube facing the wrong way in the crossover pipe) Have you inspected carefully for any cracks between the bowl and the venturi? What height is your float adjusted to? What exactly is your fuel pump output pressure? Do you have the correct metering rod? Do you have the correct metering rod spring? Is your metering rod spring correctly positioned? (the illustration in TM 9-1826A is in error). These are just a few of the questions that must be answered along the troubleshooting line.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
joebuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a ton Wes for album i will be a good steward!

Here are the answer to trouble shooting.

IE is your bowl vent open (unblocked)? Are you feeding air under pressure to your bowl vent?
Bowl vent is unblocked. Am not sending air under pressure, i think. set up is same it has been since i bought vehical 8 yrs ago.

Have you inspected carefully for any cracks between the bowl and the venturi?
Yes.. i have even filled bowl up with gas and observed with air horn off. no leaks.

What height is your float adjusted to?
Yes , 1/4" gap between float edge and base of air horn upside down. Float has been replaced as well as the needle and value. Needle does open and close fuel supply with float movement.

What exactly is your fuel pump output pressure?
Unknown but original fuel pump. no work down on it by me. There was a fuel filter installed by first shade tree mechanic between carb and fuel pump.

Do you have the correct metering rod?
I used the original metering rod on my rebuid with the new bladder gasket.

Do you have the correct metering rod spring?
Yes, it was bought with the rebuild kit. Ironically it was discovered it never had a SPRING from previous owner......no gas leak between bladder and cap. Air vent in cap clean

Is your metering rod spring correctly positioned? (the illustration in TM 9-1826A is in error).
Yes. it is between the bladder gasket and the cap.

i noticed when i filled up my bowl with airhorn off, the high speed passage c beside it that metering rod pumps from , filled up too from bowl? The bleeder tube has same level of gas in it as the bowl level when i poured gas in the bowl. Is that normal.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When troubleshooting it is best to not skip anything. A decent vacuum/pressure gauge is required for any serious vehicle maintenance. Buy one and check the fuel pump pressure. You may have a stuck valve in the pump and the pressure may be high enough to force the needle off it's seat in the carb.

Have you checked your heat riser. If it is stuck open then immediately after shut down it will perculate / boil the fuel out of the bowl and into the manifold.

That bowl air vent, did you actually disconnect the tube and blow thru it towards the induction crossover pipe to confirm no restriction? Did you blow thru the vent into the bowl to confirm no blockage? Did you remove the rubber duct between the crossover tube and the air cleaner and verify the fitting the vent line connects to is clear. I have seen spider webs and mice nests that will allow you to blow thru from the bowl vent line but stay hanging in front of the tube and then plug it when the engine is running.

joebuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the roar that was heard across the MS Delta at 10:30 friday night !!!"

There was one key situation that got me thinking electrical. I could not get the plugs to fire......so i put the jeep on a trailer and hauled it down a bumpy country road to shade tree....he got plug to fire and cranked it briefly then he said it flooded out....and he gave up......

Both shade tree mechanic kept saying Carb and flooding... maybe so? But i know i got NO spark parked at my deer camp....

Bumpy road, did the road shake the elecrical connection back on? then off?/

I just rebuilt the carb and combed over every part replacement and felt it was solid..even found a couple parts missing in old.....discharge ball and weight and metering rod spring missing...adjusted float height correctly and idle screw....... thought carb was solid rebuild on my part

so i worked on electrical side....bought new ground to jeep frame wire..older one had been jimmy rigged from previous owner /rebuilder.......distributor high voltage wire from starter had alot of electrical tape on its where two wires had joined. so bought new wire and reconnect wire with waterproof solder connection shrink tube thing... bought new plugs gapped correctly....replaced condensor.....and replced points with correct gap.....theroy here was, probably threw a little too much $$ at certain small parts I didnt need but i am not schooled enough on how to test if they work. Goal here was to get FIRE to plugs! ignite some gas at least...

got everything together and replaced around 10:30pm at deer camp and turned her over... trottle screw was not adjusted properly from years of tweaking....and ROOOOAAARRRR that rascal hit off and sounded great. Drove it all weekend and burned 13 gallons of gas and hauled two bucks out of the muddy woods... Absolutely runs awesome i am so pumped up...thanks wes and everyone for the help... gosh i sort of feel like a mechanic....well maybe not...but its a great feeling to fix your stuff others wouldnt
mdainsd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!

Now that you posted this it reminded me of a long forgotten issue I had with a Power Wagon (back in the 70s). Starts sometimes but doesn't sometimes. I, like you, tried everything to no avail. I was ready to pull my hair out, literally.

Finally started re-wiring as a last resort. The darned low voltage lead between the distributor and the coil had been cut at some time. It was only stripped back and twisted together with some electrical tape over the joint. Grease and oil had gotten in there over the years and the connection was problematic at best. Replaced that wire and it was a new truck.

I must have remembered something about it, because to this day any wiring I do has ZERO splices and every terminal is crimped, soldered and covered with adhesive heat shrink.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: