Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New batterys installed today.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New batterys installed today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: New batterys installed today. Reply with quote

Well got the new batterys in today and the old ones were for sure bad. However, the new ones still only register a little over 13 volts frame to positive or from negative post to positive post. Took the starter cables off and cleaned them up also. So then I fired the jeep up and noticed antifreeze pouring out. Have started it a couple of times this winter in the man cave and never had that problem. Couldn’t really tell where it was coming out of but maybe the overflow pipe. Could a bad radiator cap or stuck thermostat be the culprit. Have a lot going on next couple of weeks so might not get to this til it’s warmer out. Also is there a crossover number for the radiator cap. Thanks John jr
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your "little over 13 volts" with the engine running at speed?

You will have to narrow down where the coolant is pouring out.

There are supposedly NOS radiator caps on the big online auction right now. I picked up a few as the price is right. The one I put on seems to be working correctly, so far. Develops low pressure inside as designed. My old cap had long ago lost that ability.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I’m not understanding. Each battery is supposed to have like 27 volts correct? So if they each only have alittle over 13 volts, it’s not close to them being at the 27 plus each should be. John jr
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense meant John, but I shot beverage out my nose on that one! Surprised Shocked

The military vehicle 24 volt system is two 12 volt batteries, connected in series. Each fully charged 12 volt battery normally puts out about 13.5 volts, multiply by 2 and you get 27 volts (typical good operating voltage).

I guess they call it a "24 volt system" because two 12 volt batteries connected in SERIES makes 24 volts. Not to confuse the issue, but two 12 volt batteries connected in PARALLEL is still 12 volts, but you get twice the amperage, but that's a different electrical class....

When you bought these new batteries today, didn't you buy two 12 volt batteries?

I highly suggest you double check you wired them up correctly before putting juice to anything. Big difference between series and parallel connected batteries. Hooking them up can be easily confused. The juice in a single 12V battery is enough to set you free (and weld unintended things together). Got a set of the tech manuals?

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of terms getting tossed around with no references.

Let's start by separating two things. There are several combinations of words and numbers that describe very different things in our electrical system. Focusing on our 28 Volt Electrical systems:

1 - 28 Volt System means the "Operating System". It standardizes the reference to the operating system. When the system is in operation it's voltage reading will be 28 to 32 volts. This is the correct phrase to use when describing our jeeps military 28 Volt System

2 - 24 Volt System describes the system when it is not operating. That means without the generator output the system reads standing battery voltage which should be 24 to 27 1/2 volts. This phrase is the incorrect phrase to describe our jeep's military 28 Volt System!

3 - Some military vehicles use a single 24 volt battery and some use a pair of 12 volt batteries connected in series. Our jeeps use a pair of 12 volt batteries connected in series. Series means the #1 battery has 24 volts total at it's + terminal and the #2 battery has 12 volts at it's + terminal. The #1 battery's + terminal fastens to the starter and it's - terminal connects to the #2 battery's + terminal and the #2 battery's - terminal connects to the frame ground.

4 - With a 24 volt type battery installed and connected and fully charged it will read 25 to 27.5 volts at it's + terminal.

5 - With a pair of 12 volt batteries connected properly in series and fully charged the reading at the #1 Battery's + terminal will be 25 to 27.5 volts.

6 - If you disconnect both 12 volt batteries and they are both fully charged they should read 12.8 to 13.5 Volts.

7 - When any standard military 28 Volt System is operating properly no matter weather the battery is a single 24 Volt or Dual 12 Volt they will read at the + terminal connected to the starter 28 to 32 volts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Wes clears up my apparent lack of references. Yes, references are important. In this case, somewhat superfluous to John's question about why a 12v battery isn't measuring 27 volts? Me thinks John has a more fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of electricity, and hasn't read the TM either. (No offense intended John!) I'm just trying to offer some friendly advice. References come after. Isn't that what this forum is about?

(Almost) Bottom line: there's no way one new 12 volt battery should read 27 volts. Ever. For the M38, it takes two 12-volt batteries properly connected in series to read anywhere near 24 (or 28 ) volts. Am I wrong?

John said he started his engine with the new batteries installed. I wonder. Would a 28 volt starter motor crank and start a L134 if the batteries were incorrectly connected in parallel (producing 12 volts instead of 28 volts)? Just curious....... Very Happy

Can I muddy the water or what? Very Happy

--- Enzo Ferrari

OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries are connected in SERIES... thus their voltage adds; two 12 volt batteries when new usually measure some where in the range of 12.5 to 13.4 let say. Now we put them in series and the voltage goes to 25.9 in this instance. that is enough to drive the 24V starter and 24V coil. When the engine fires and the 24V Generator takes over the batteries generally will charge at 28.x volts plus or minus a little bit.

If you parallel the batteries the amount of current the batteries give increases. This is a way to give more starting current to a starter if it will not run, In this instance the current adds and the voltage stay the same.

Thus if you placed two 12 volt batteries in PARALLEL then their 500 amp starting current would double to 1000 amps, but the voltage will stay at 13.4 for this example.

I give this explanation so as to be sure everyone understands how the batteries work in a given configuration...

I worked with batteries in telecom industry for 45 years and understanding the way they work insures the proper length of time they will last and that the equipment using them does the same...

Thanks for the time...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now since we have managed to muddy the water again!

Two 12V batteries parallel will actually turn over a 28V starter. Just not very quick and of course depends on the condition of the starter.

To take all this another step backwards to basics:

Volts = Pressure
Amps = Ability to do work

RonD you were not the primary target of my comments but since you moved on to attempt to grade the quality my comments:

Quote:
somewhat superfluous to John's question about why a 12v battery isn't measuring 27 volts?

My comments were not meant to be an answer to his original question! They were meant to clear up the muddy playing field ya'll laid out for him!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. No offense was intended to you either. For a couple of old guys, we sure have our fair share of thin skin?

I don't think our comments either laid or cleared up a muddy field. It's just that difficult if not impossible to teach or provide a coherent basic direct current electricity course to a novice in this or any other forum kind of environment. But we all try in our own way, don't we?

This might help? Then again, it might not.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/watcir.html

Maybe all we did was successfully hijack the thread? Laughing

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whenever you guys all agree that the thread has been hi-jacked and we've strayed too far from the original topic just post me a 100 % agreement and I can dump all the BS.

But as long as each poster adds unclear or incorrect data I will always try to correct or make it more clear for everyone's benefit.

RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why we love you! Very Happy

--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.

I wait patiently for John Jr’s response...
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! I hope I didn't tick him off, or worse.

I also hope he didn't buy two new batteries for nothing........

John?

--- Enzo Ferrari

dpcd67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good information for the OP.
However,, I sense that he has not read his Operator's and Org maintenance
TM. Unfortunately, that is a common trait among MV owners.
I spent two careers trying to get soldiers, and then civilians, to read their TMs. Like pulling teeth.
I encourage every MV owner to own and read, all the TMs including the SNL, if he is to learn about his system. Yes, I see those who just want to drive them and don't care about learning the old fashioned way; reading. Sad.
My answer to him would have been, "What did your TM9-8012 say? Hint, it's on page 197-198 in the Jan 56 edition.
I read mine every day for various vehicles.
M37B1 1963
Willys MB 1944
Ford GPW 1942
Dodge WC63 1943
Dodge Power Wagon WM300 1967
Plymouth Barracuda, 1973, 340 4 barrel
All ground up restored by me.
Lots of others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: