Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Wheel Lug Studs... not measuring up?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Wheel Lug Studs... not measuring up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAJA_TYM

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: M38 Wheel Lug Studs... not measuring up? Reply with quote

Hello all, hoping someone will help (I'm still new to the M38). I recently purchased some new left-side wheel lug studs, but after comparing them to the right side, the knurl splines are not the same height as those currently installed. I've checked the TM measurements and new ones seem correct (1/2-20NF 3 x 1.42).

Are my flanges correct? Thanks in advance for help.

1951 M38
2014 JKUR

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album575&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you buy those new studs?

Should be able to check with one of the main military jeep suppliers.
BAJA_TYM

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where did you buy those new studs?

I ordered them from Peter DeBella Jeep Parts. Pete's seems like a good guy, a little rough at times (a straight talker with harsh language, which I don't mind), but honest. Since I have an affinity for NOS parts and he's sort of my defacto store for NOS, I've ordered a bunch of stuff from him over the past year. I've never had any issues with anything I've ordered. I contacted him this morning and Pete's looking into it. I'm sure he'll figure it out and we'll workout a fair good solution regardless of the outcome.

Yesterday I did a ton of research and there seems to be 2 different sizes (maybe 3). I found and ordered some on eBay that appear to match those currently installed. Here's a photo of the ones from eBay. As you can see the knurling shank and overall length appear to match those originally installed.

Here's a stud comparison I found surfing Google, interestingly they all state M38 even though they're different sizes. The first stud looks identical to the originals and the new ones match the second stud. I'm thinking there may have been some variation on the thickness of the wheel flange over the years, but I really don't know.

In the end I'll post what Pete says and what happens when the eBay studs arrive.

Cheers -- James

1951 M38
2014 JKUR

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album575&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BAJA_TYM

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The studs I ordered from eBay came in today, they do seem to match what's originally installed. This isn't to say those sold by Pete are incorrect, I'm just posting here to show how they compare to each other. When I spoke to Pete yesterday I let him know that I wasn't in a rush for him to see what the issue may be.

Stud on the left is from eBay and the right is fro Pete:

Just to reiterate, this isn't a hit on Pete, just looking to fix/share info.

1951 M38
2014 JKUR

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I have noted that the wrong part, although similar will be in an older box that was probably part of an after production repair parts contract that was filled years after.

So while those parts might fit they may be less than ideal.
TonyRumore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try putting the brake drum on?
The shoulder of the stud will stick through the flange and center the hole in the brake drum. At least that's how it works on my M38A1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: