Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Engine has problem keeping coils alive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine has problem keeping coils alive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Engine has problem keeping coils alive Reply with quote

I received this question as a PM and as always I try to have the poster use our public boards so information can be shared by all members.

Quote:
My jeep has started a bad habit ot eating coils. Everything form the modern repops, to takeout usgi.

Couple of things

1) jeep has a one wire gm 10si alternator 24 volt
2) protronix ignition kit
3) everything else stock

When engine is running it is charging at 28 volts, not fluctuating when I hit the throttle

Runs great until the coil starts to go

What are your thoughts? I have checked grounds and battery connections.

Some important points to note here are:

1 - problem occurs with all types of 24 Volt coils.
3 - this particular ignition set-up includes the Pertronix hall effect sensor point system replacement.

Some missing information:

1 - How the pertronics system was wired into the Willys wiring. Their 24 V wiring is very unusual in their instruction sheet.
2 - Weather or not the vacuum air cleaner system is properly plumbed to the distributor. This system removes ionized gases and in warm weather helps coil the coil.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Pretronix is wired correctly and has been working well for years
2) All vacuum lines are hooked up as they are supposed to be

Did get the jeep to fire again last night after I found it had spark. It took a lot of cranking but finally did catch. Shut it down it wouldn't refire, gave up for the night as I didnt want to keep the neighbors up. Tried this morning before going to work, it fired once or twice but would not start.
Bill_F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to note jeep was running great last night, took it about 5 miles, at about mile 4 it start to cough and loose power, about 300 yards from my house I had to put it in low range to get it home. Opened the hood, tried to figure things out, jeep stalled, would not restart.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen at least 3 versions of the 24V wiring over the last 20 years for the Pertronix system. Which did you use? A scanned copy of the installation instructions you used would make this stay simple.

What are the part numbers of the coils that have failed?

Which were brand new in the box and which were used?

Have you confirmed with an OHM meter that your ignition switch is always open when off?

Have you confirmed none of the Packard connectors have failed or are failing intermittently? Insulation of the wire from the metal shell is the paramount interest here but a snug fit ensuring lasting continuity is very important as well.

Do you still have the radio noise filter installed in your distributor?

Have you inspected the entire length of the wires inside the distributor for evidence of shorting out and overall condition?

This is the latest Pertronix Install Instructions for the MV-141A & MV-161A 24V kit.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bill_F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced all the wire in the distributor, it is in good shape. I am not using an orginal ignition switch, I put a keyed switch in .

I am leaning to something with the pertronix, it has given me many trouble free years but it is the only thing left

Tonight I got home. Jeep fired but not easily and did not run well, stalled after about 3 minutes wouldnt restart, swapped in another takeout usgi coil started right and ran great, didnt run it long as I dont want to fry this one. Jeep started right back up after I shut it down.

I will put the points back in and see what happens.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of creating a good source for information for jeep enthusiast's is the need to do a thorough investigation of a reported issue and provide as much data as possible. I try to bring the data to the table by asking precise questions. Without the answers to these questions the members do not get to see the big picture around a problem.

In my post above I asked you 6 questions. You answered one. The distributor internal wiring. You made a reference to one but did not answer. The question on ohming out the ignition switch does not only apply to the old keyless military ignition switch. It applied to whatever ignition switch you are using.

Bill_F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took out the protronix kit. Been running points and have had no coil issues. Now I can a little bit of a put out of the exhaust but I have not finished tuning yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: