Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Battery Box lid on Cowl. Screws are frozen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Battery Box lid on Cowl. Screws are frozen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColKilgore2860

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: M38 Battery Box lid on Cowl. Screws are frozen Reply with quote

I am disassembling my M38 for stripping and paint. So far, everything has come unbolted or unscrewed, thanks to liberal amounts of wD-40 and some patience. I hit a roadblock with the two big slotted screws that hold the hinged lid for the battery box on the cowl in front of the passenger. The screws look like they should come out easily, but they are not budging. I am thinking I might end up having to grind them off,then see what is left for my vice-grips to hold. What do they screw into? If nuts, under the dash, it looks like it could be hard to reach, but not impossible. If there is a permanent plate or something that is attached to the body, I would have to go down the road where I could make a mess. I thought about heating it up, but with all the surrounding sheet metal, I worry that I might, again, screw something up. I checked Ryan Miller's book, which is a godsend, and maybe I just didn't see that section, but I am at a loss, and want to be as cautious as I can. Anybody have the/an answer?
Thanks[/b]
M38A1 & M38
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reasonably sure they used two weld nuts. If the screws are just turning then the weld nuts have broken their welds. If the screws simply will not turn at all then you have serious corrosion issue.

I would locate the widest slotted screw driver bit that will still fit the slot in the screw head. Insert the bit only in the screw head and strike it a few times with an 8 oz. ballpean hammer. Then with the bit attached to a handbrace (speed handle) try to break the screw loose. If it still won't budge, try heating it until it glows red and use the bit and handbrace (speed Handle) again.

Slotted screw bit.

Handbrace or speed handle

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MarkR1951M38

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cowl battery box lid has Dzus fasteners. A slotted screw type fastener that twists to lock down. There is a wire that the dzus fastener screws onto....not nut to say. Same fasteners that hold the instrument panel onto the dash.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album527&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dzus fasteners to keep the lid close. Two 1/4-20 screws to fasten the lid to the cowl. Based on his post he is struggling with the two hinge screws.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try PB Blaster or Kroil as penetrates, I have way better luck with them than WD-40.

Soak them and then tap them with a hammer 6 or 8 times and come back tomorrow and do it again...after about 3-4 day of this then try to tighten and then loosen and see if that works...if not repeat soaking and tapping.

If that fails, weld a nut on top of the screws, the heat from the weld should free it up.

Good luck!

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
Eades

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big fan of Kroil as PB Blaster is inferior in loosening up corrosion. WD is so light its for water displacement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: