Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Got the new valve in.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got the new valve in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Got the new valve in. Reply with quote

While back I bent a valve by using too long of an adapter on my compression gauge. Got the new valve in lapped it adjusted the valves once twice and verified a third time by the book. New copper head gasket. Took pictures of everything so I could get it back together correctly. Tried starting it and got the popping and spitting noises but couldn’t get it to start. Could it have jumped timing somehow by bending the valve. Going to check tomorrow for any vacuum leak but pretty sure the connections are tight. Odd thing is that before I had 110 pounds of compression in the good cylinders and now I only have 100 in each of them. Don’t know if that has anything to do with torquing the head again or not but can’t do that til it starts and warms up. Don’t think my carb could have gone bad from just sitting for a couple of months.
If I don’t have the tube from the carb to the air breather pipe would that be a vacuum leak. Thanks John jr 1952 M 38
jam51m38cdn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like to me the tappets might be to tight. I would go through that whole procedure again. Timing marks, where the orientation of the rotor is, making sure its pointing to number 1 on the cap and wires are in correct order. Here's the key for me, "I had 110 pounds and now only have 100. That tells me that the tappets are holding the valves slightly open. Jim
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my dyslexia must have kicked in when I was putting the plug wires on. I actually put 1,2,3,4 on the wires and swear they were correct but NOT! Put the wires on according to the MANUAL and it fired right up. So for whatever reason I marked them wrong, it’s running right now . Little chilly to take it out here in Illinois but I might have to try. Let it run to like 180 so should I retorque the head? Looked in the manual but didn’t see that. Of course that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. Jim thanks for the info. John jr
jam51m38cdn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes retorque the head. Its easy to get mixed up when you're that close and get excited. I know that guy. Happy Holidays Jim
mbullism

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam51m38cdn wrote:
I know that guy. ...

I AM that guy Smile
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy holidays to all you guys also. john jr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: