Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Top Bow vertical drop rods
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top Bow vertical drop rods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnissen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Top Bow vertical drop rods Reply with quote

We got the Weebee Webbing top in. Also got the side curtains and we had the horizontal and vertical rods and brackets. Looks like a quality piece. First question is for the side curtains there is a vertical rod that fits into the curtain sewn in pocket. I can see how the top of the rod is secured to the horizontal rod with a metal clip/bolt. I saw some pictures that seemed to show a vertical rod socket located in the tub so the rod will not slip down. Does such a rod socket exist? I know there is a hole in the tub to accept the rod but below that hole is there anything to catch the rod from falling down other than the upper clamp?

Second question is our top bow kit did not come with the larger holes drilled in the forward bow for the horizontal rod. Is there a measurement or guide for hole placement? Almost looks like the hole is located to make the horizontal rod as flat (horizontal) as possible. Is that correct or is it based on your head clearance to the canvas or some other such guide?

I'm concerned with the forward bow and rod being perfectly horizontal that we will have little head room (I'm 6'2" and already find it difficult to see out of the windshield straight ahead without the top fame of the windshield getting in the way. Any suggestions?

BTW - We got the top mainly for those events we may attend where rain may be present. Were likely going to run around most of the time with the top off and bows stored.
Engine Plate MD85578
Contrived Hood Number 20974784
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Did WeeBee include any installation instructions?

At any rate I have the factory M38A1 soft top kit sheets in my photo album which is the 2nd Member's album on the 1st page of albums:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Once in my album go to page 2 and open "Canvas Tops" :
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album92&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Then open " M38A1" :
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album219&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=2

Quote:
Does such a rod socket exist? I know there is a hole in the tub to accept the rod but below that hole is there anything to catch the rod from falling down other than the upper clamp?

This drawing will answer your question:

See the inset marked "N". That tube socket has a bent steel tab blocking the bottom of the hole.

Quote:
Is there a measurement or guide for hole placement?

I do not believe there is. I would install the top, Snug her taught. Then install the two door hinges and doors. Then determine the best fit for that horizontal rod based on door/side curtain/top fitment.

Quote:
I'm 6'2" and already find it difficult to see out of the windshield straight ahead without the top fame of the windshield getting in the way. Any suggestions?

Willys & the Army based the jeep's crew area dimensions on an average soldier's height and weight. Probably 5' 6" and 150 Lbs. The only way for someone 6 foot or taller to get comfortable is leave the top off and the windshield down! You may find a wee bit of relief by reducing seat cushion height and increasing seat back angle towards the wheel house.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
G740

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Bow parts Reply with quote

Midwest Military has the side curtain sockets as well as the door sockets and pivot pieces.
John
jnissen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. More stuff to order before side curtains can go on.
Engine Plate MD85578
jnissen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top is on but side curtains are still waiting for parts. Went on fairly easily and fits well. Thanks for the advice and will try to add some pictures in the album.

UPDATE: Pics added.

Engine Plate MD85578
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: