Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38a1 no data plates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38a1 no data plates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: M38a1 no data plates Reply with quote

So I bought another M38a1. Ive been after this one for several years and he finally sold it to me. Sadly, it sat out up in the mountains for several years and it looks a lot worse than when I originally saw it.
It was at some point Strata Blue and was painted white by NASA who was using it on Edwards AFB in SoCal. The guy I got it from got it though DRMO as a volunteer Fire Dpt end user and they disbanded and he bought it from the FD. It has a metal hard top installed on it that is just a top, nicely done though. The rear panel is cut out and it had an entry step, the wheel house sponsons have seat cushions with back rests, most likely it was transporting pilots out to their planes on the ramp.

Any way, both plates are gone. I need some serial number for it so should I just use the one on the block? Got to go digging and find it. Unless they stamped the frame somewhere on these things I didnt know about.

KI6EZA
1954 M38A1 (first civilain owner)
1965 M37B1 Commo shelter truck
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
jnissen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the title have on it? No title then you will have a lot more hoops to jump through. Not sure of your state but check to make sure they will even register an old military vehicle if the numbers are missing.

In general if your state has provisions to title the vehicle the tub number, data plate number or the engine were likely used. Rarely did two or three of the numbers match.

Ours had a number from the engine on our title. It hadn’t been registered in 20 years so we needed to apply for a bonded title. A bond is taken out then once that’s available you can apply for the title.

Do a bit of research. You may still have the plate behind the passenger seat on the wheel well. Often painted over they can be carefully cleaned to reveal numbers.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Man, please tell me you are restoring it to the NASA version!!!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, both of the plates, dash and wheel well, are gone.
Hence i wondered if there was a number stamped in the frame like dodge did with m37s.
I could use the engine, but we all know that may not be original.
My other m38a1 that I a, the first civilian owner of the engine does not match the two body plates.

Im in CA and I did not get a title. I sort of think when they disbanded the VFD, he just took it home..... i know what I will face with dmv, but having a clean serial number is my #1 goal to start with.

Its still NASA. I didnt need it but I wanted it merely to preserve it. All our other friends wanted it to remove the roof and put a new back panel on it and paint it OD and flip it.

KI6EZA
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
Kendall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine serial number will not match the two body plates (those two should match). In Kansas my jeeps are registered with the engine serial number. If you have troubles in CA you could try to get it titled in another state and then transfer the title to CA.
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - Willys & Ford stopped matching engine serials to tub serials at the end of WWII. Everything built by Willys/Kaiser from 1946 on does not match engine serials to tub serials.

2 - Willys/kaiser did not use frame numbers after WWII. But most military jeeps that went thru a military depot rebuild had the tub serial or the hood number stamped on the left front frame rail.

3 - Many states thru 1970 use engine numbers on titles. 1000's of surplus jeeps from 1950 thru 1970 had the engine #'s on their titles.

4 - 1954 marked the introduction of varied VIN number systems. In the 1970's the 10 digit VIN became the norm. In 1981 the Federal Dept of Transportation forced by law the standardized 17 Digit VIN number system on all US Built vehicles.

5 - Today many states require a conversion to the 17 digit system of older manufacturer's serial #'s and VIN's. Some states will issue a brand new VIN where old serial numbers or VIN's have been lost.

Bottom line is if you have a military jeep today with no known serial number or evidence thereof just be honest and querry your DMV for their suggested route to titling your jeep.

For our other members thinking of buying military jeeps lacking papers and/or serials/VINs at least obtain a bill of sale from the seller before you drag it home.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, thank you for that.
I will look on the left front frame to see if its been stamped.
Turns out I have a civilian engine in this nasa jeep. It has a brass data rebuild tag from a shop on the passenger side of the block.
The number on the water pump embossment is FA#####. Could be F4##### not sure

I have CA paperwork to fill out, seller an i are going to get together and do a statement of facts and bill of sale, just needed to find the ID we are going to use for the vehicle.

KI6EZA
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyer be ware! Just saying.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the number on the frame.
Wes i sent you a pm eith the number to cross referance.

KI6EZA
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: