Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - What was Dad's USGS Willys sedan?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What was Dad's USGS Willys sedan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Djf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: What was Dad's USGS Willys sedan? Reply with quote

My father was the head geologist and USGS person at Kansas University during the 1950's up through the 70's.
His department had a light green Willys that had 4 doors and in all presence looked like a weird M170 sedan.
It had USGS decals and was marked for the USGS.

Anyone have any idea what model that Willys was?

To be clear this was a military Willys, just wanted to know the specifics of the 4-door M38 or M170 if someone knew them. Question
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not a M38/M38A1/M170. They are all 2 drs. There are many government agencies that purchase their own vehicles from OEM manufacturers. Those vehicles are managed by GSA (General Services Administration). They are not actually military although their appearance often has an official look and they were usually purchased in fleet lots and they were usually all the same one tone color. The USGS folks have used 4 wd vehicles of many sorts over the last 50 years and they have usually been light green. In the 50's - 60's they would have been station wagons.

Take a look at this 1957 Willys Jeep Wagon belonging to the USGS doing a magnetic survey in the 50's. http://www.physicstramp.com/page/28/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Djf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His was most definitely an open top Willys, if not for the extra doors it would have been ID'd from site as a M170 with the extra length.

Not once did they ever paint it but did have to change the top out once in a while to wear.

I ran across a picture of some VIPs touring a military base during the Korean war that was a Willys with 4 door openings and looked almost identical. I just cant find it know, hence why I am posting here.
ChuckW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are thinking about a command car?
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
Djf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no, I rode in this jeep for 2 decades as a youth.

It was as if you took a M38/ M170 and being a sedan.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You repeated sedan several times. Are you aware a sedan has a metal roof and doors. You can modify any jeep extensively but Willys did not produce any 4dr hardtop/sedans based on the M38, M38A1 or M170. I googled USGS vehicles and saw plenty of civilian 4dr jeep wagons built during the 50’s & 60’s.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure this helps but my dad worked for USGS and I'm sure knew your dad! My dad was in charge of the computer science division.

The only vehicle my dad ever mentioned that they used were International Scouts. He hated them as he said when they went out into the field (usually out west somewhere) they would inevitably snap an axle.

The only other vehicles that come to mind are Dodge Power Wagons, the Willys Station Wagons. There were some obscure Willys vehicles that had military designations but I think were based off of the Station Wagon and they were for export not domestic use but who knows maybe it was one of those.

There were some custom made MB/GPW jeeps made for the Coast Guard during WW ll. Maybe USGS ended up with one of those? I recently found out that a WW ll Jungle Jeep still exists in storage at Aberdeen, MD. So who knows, the possibility exists...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is something that can be confused with a M170 with 4 doors.

BullRun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been on several USGS survey's in the 1970's in Colorado where we used Surburban's the question is best answered by who knows? Peoples memory falter's unfortunately.

As for my dad's memory after retiring 3rd in line at USGS after a 35 year career that spanned the globe I'll take his word for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: