Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New cam and tappet break in
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New cam and tappet break in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleygaz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: New cam and tappet break in Reply with quote

Getting ready to build my engine with new camshaft and tappets and I’ve read on some general engine build pages that the new cam for a flat tappet engine should be run at minimum 2000 rpm for 10 to 20 minutes as soon as the engine is started to break in the cam and tappets and ensure sufficient splash lubrication of the cam lobes. I’ll use z paste and assembly lube in the build and straight 30 break in oil for the first 500 miles. I’ve read the break in instructions in TM 9-8012 and it says nothing about this requirement. Is this required for an L134? I was thinking maybe Willys ran the engines for this cam break in period before delivery so it didn’t need to be in the TM.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help us offer up comments if you posted the source of this statement so we can review it in the context it was originally presented in before we offered our opinions. Out of context one or two liners can mean several different things depending on the original associated commentary.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Harleygaz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just googled flat tappet cam break in and saw similar comments on a number of pages. I don’t recall which ones. Perhaps I could rephrase this and ask is there a requirement to run a rebuilt L134 with a NOS camshaft and NOS tappets at a specified rpm for a specified length of time to ensure the cam and tappets break in properly in addition to and prior to following the TM 9-8012 break in instructions?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice of you to not expect us to go searching for your unknown sites. To answer your more direct question I could ask if you have read the applicable manuals? TM 9-1804A for the engine has some very detailed steps listed for the initial run in. Just review pages 98 & 99. This is the rare case where the military manual offers more guidance then the Willys civvy factory CJ manual SM-1002.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Harleygaz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that section Wes but since I don’t have a dynamometer it doesn’t really help me much which is why I went back to 8012. I know 1804A says run for 15 minutes at 1,000 rpm but that is to warm up. So back to my question - should the engine be run in a specific way on first start up to specially break in a new cam and tappets?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The hardened steel cam and tappits can hardly benefit from a special short runup 10-20 minute 2,000 RPM runup. Just how much hardened steel do you expect to do any yielding. I strongly suspect none. Perhaps you are reading racing engine maintenance jargon where hi-lift cams and much stronger valve springs are working a lot harder than any L134 ever will.

That very thorough run-in schedule in TM 9-1804A has a purpose far beyond reading the resulting BHP readings on a dynamometer and should not be ignored. Notice the RPM increase & decrease and the amount of time spent at each setting. Having worked both vehicle and aircraft applications of these run-ins I am well aware of what is done and why. Note the system operating parameters that must be observed and their limits. 10 areas must be monitored. I believe if one follows this run-in procedure precisely they will have no issues with any new steel parts.

Larger file is here: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album589/098_100_Eng_Run_in_sm.jpg

Harleygaz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that section Wes but since I don’t have a dynamometer it doesn’t really help me much which is why I went back to 8012. I know 1804A says run for 15 minutes at 1,000 rpm but that is to warm up. So back to my question - should the engine be run in a specific way on first start up to specially break in a new cam and tappets?
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this post with interest.

Even though I'll have about $3500 in my L134 rebuild when done, and even if I could find a local shop with a dyno, I doubt I could afford 4 hours time on it just to comply with the Army TM. I wonder if Willys put new or rebuilt replacement engines on a dyno for 4 hours before selling them?

Could be wrong, but I always thought the initial start and warm-up to operating temp (maybe 30 minutes run time) was primarily to make sure everything sounds good, check for leaks, get good oil pressure and temp readings on the gauges, and dial-in the timing and carb settings. Some say don't let the motor idle much longer than it takes to adjust timing and carb --- then keep it moving around a bit --- but not racing. Then shut down and get the important re-torque of the head done. Then drive it asap to get the rings seating properly.

Everything I read says to be sure to use break-in oil with ZDDP at the correct concentration (too much isn't better). Some folks recommend immediate oil and filter change after initial start, some say after 100 miles, others say after 500 miles. Never read anything in the manuals specifically about cam and tappet break-in for the L134 and mine are new too.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have almost twice the normal cost in you 134 overhaul I suggest that you start communicating with quality engine overhaul facilities for a technical explanation of what the incremental run up periods are for and how to do them. In the mean time why don’t you contact Ryan & Keith Buckley for a presentation of what foundry and production run ups were used during that period.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: