Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 smoking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 smoking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodvet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: M38A1 smoking Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a 1953 M38A1 CDN that I recently purchased and had not run much as we were repairing brakes. Started up today and it is pulling oil hard into the engine and burning it (blue smoke everywhere). We did a compression test and it is 120 psi on all four cylinders. We disconnected a metal vacuum line that originates by the intake on the passengers side and seems to go ahead and down under to the fuel pump/vacuum system on the drivers side. When we disconnect this pipe, everything is fine. What is happening? We were wondering if a diaphragm or something has blown on that fuel pump? Any ideas or technical data on how that works would be appreciated!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you did have a compression gauge I would suspect you have or have access to a fuel/vacuum pressure gauge. Then complete the gauge tests that need to be done to help you choose a path down thru the troubleshooting section of TM 9-8014.

You did not tell us a lot about the current configuration of the fuel, vacuum, vent and fording systems. What you have and how it is setup has a huge impact on where the source of your oil is coming from.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Goodvet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: M38A1 smoking Reply with quote

Where would I find this troubleshooting section? Is there a copy online here somewhere. I'll try to get the other information.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is often assumed that every M38 owner has the military version of an owner's manual on his bench. It is called TM 9-8012. If you don't have a copy just go to our "Downloads" page and download your free PDF copy or go on line and buy a copy. The other 3 books you should also keep at your bench are TM 9-1804A Eng/Clutch, TM 9-1804B Chassis & running gear and ORD 9 SNL G-758 the parts manual. Again they are all free to download right here on this web site on our downloads page in PDF format. Other helpful manuals are The civvy SM1002 which covers the CJ2A/CJ3A which although 6 or 12 volt still run the L134 engine. Most of the important chapters of SM1002 are free for you download from my photo album.

The Army used several manufacturer specific manuals to cover more accessories in better detail. They were specialized manuals devoted to a single manufacturer Lik this one for our jeep's steering gear sets.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Eades

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently having the same issue on a recent pump rebuild. After 500 miles it started smoking. I tracked it down to the vacuum pump that I installed the oil seal backwards allowing oil into the vac pump and subsequently pumping it into the intake.

Could be the oil seal or you have a hole in diaphram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: