Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Project Salty
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Salty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extra left side passenger seat pivot you can have.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a welder at all! I do practice and try to do a good job. Thad too much rust in the upper part of where the patch would touch so I trimmed it back another 1” upward to grab some good meat.

Was fighting the driver wheel well aftermarket crap panel... I will need to graft into this one too in order for it to fit.

I need a valve spring compressor tool, and the vintage ones on eBay right now are way too expensive. They be proud of their stuff.
I can order one from Napa.

I have the next few days off, then duty overnight then a whole week off! A lot of damage can get done in that amount of time.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054

Last edited by CoastieReid on Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Coastie,
Vintage valve spring compressor tool don't get much better than this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-Tools-CF-49A-Disc-Compression-Tool-In-Good-Condition/114535539583?epid=15041197749&hash=item1aaad9a37f:g:U5EAAOSw-gJfsVpV

Patience!

CF-12 or CF-12A, CF-49 or CF-49A will do it. Made in U.S. of A.

If it helps, see this http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9478&highlight=cf12

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagnabit! Sold already.

I hope that was you that bought it.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

CoastieReid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD2 wrote:
Dagnabit! Sold already.

I hope that was you that bought it.

Yup! Thank you! I saw your post in the middle of the night- I was woken up by the rain- which is a good thing because I fell asleep on the couch watching BofB on prime.
Anyway, thank you for the link. I had looked the other day and all were vise grip style or the overhead valve style. The vintage ones I saw were running like 50$.

Raining still this morning. So I will find another project to work on this morning.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent all day working in the dirt.

Passenger side wheel well panels going in.

I bought this special Jeep tool...it helped push the panels together so I could use some self tapping screws to hold it together.

Fussing over the taillight panel, corner, wheel well panels. I ran out of wire in the welder.

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!!

Inspiration for all!

Love the tool. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Love the root beer holder too!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4M38 wrote:
Great work!!

Inspiration for all!

Love the tool. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Love the root beer holder too!

HAHAHA. I wrote the word "jeep" on the piece of wood and it is in a video I made for YT.
I had a can of Yuengling in the foot well... and a zebra cake I forgot to eat in the tool box cut out area- I am sure the squirrels have eaten it since I have been onboard the ship for duty since yesterday.
**on edit** it was still there.

I start a 1 week leave as soon as I am relieved off duty at 0900. Weather looks clear- I have two cars/trucks in the driveway and on the street waiting for me to get home to do brakes, control arm bushings (on the friends car), front suspension replacement on the f150(mine). May do the brakes on my new used commuter car too.
And work on the M38.
I am deploying again in a few weeks- need all the time off right now I can get.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone chilling wind today.
I spent the morning buttoning up the corner.

Grabbed the axe and accoutrements.

Used self tappers to position the tool box (which has Jeep script, but does not have the vent gusset.

Mounted the seat so I could locate the fender seat brace.
I was able to get those off the old fenders with a cold chisel and my trusty Craftsman ball-peen hammer.

The passenger seat backside peg sits flush with the floor.

The seat back wheel well tab is held in place at the moment with self tappers.

I almost spent money today on the seat back panel.
This one was super flaky rusted. I spent time with a HF wire cup on my grinder and cleared the flakes. Cleaned it up and then threw some red oxide on it.

Now I have the axe handle bracket in location (what garbage because the stud lengths are a bit soft threaded)

I need the flat head screws to hold the angle bracket on, but for now a vice grip clamp is locating it. I will go to tractor supply in the morning for hardware.
The tool box had to be bent so I could fit the axe handle in nicely. I have enough room now to build my axe recess tomorrow.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent my entire day out back fiddle farting around on stuff.
I did a couple practice bends for the axe recess. This was a photo I took last minute- sorry if it makes no sense why the shovel is up there. I was in the middle of cleaning up the mess I made.

It was barely above freezing all day.

In the garage, nice and toasty.
Got working on the carrier for the Dana 44. I bought new ring bolts and waited what seemed like forever for them,. Well, I didn’t look under the shoulder when I started threading them in, it just ripped those lock straps.
Turns out the new bolts have a knurled section. The originals were smooth.

Well, for the mean time, I torqued the ring bolts down without the lock straps, so I can continue on with bearing set up. In the mean time, I look to your information and wisdom regarding what I should do.

I bought those ring gear bolts, I can use them as they are,
I have some AN6 bolts with the drilled head for lock wire safety wire. But a torque of this size bolt I think is like 14 ftlbs. The normal bolt with lock straps is 55ftlbs.
Or, I can buy another set of the bolts from KW and maybe they don’t have that knurled shoulder.

****on edit****. I rewatched Metalshaper’s YouTube video titled Willys Jeep Rebuild, Ring and Pinion Setup and mentions the use of modern bolt and Loctite which is what I did. So I will go with the new hardened bolts with the knurling in the shoulder

Set up bearings for the carrier are done. I have set up bearings that match the bearings that I will install. This is to ensure I have the same thickness after set up is done, so if the set up bearing is a SKF or KOYO, the bearing going on in that spot will also be of that same manufacturer.

In the mean time, I am using the old yoke. I need a redo-sleeve or a new yoke. This one is spent.

She over cooked

New yokes (NOS) or a redi-sleeve. That’s what I need to locate tomorrow.
Waiting on some seat hardware I ordered, I am waiting on a load of suspension parts for a friends CRV which needs some love out in my driveway.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a speedi-sleeve (redi-sleeve or whatever they call it-made by SKF) Oreillys online yesterday. You get less hassle from the counter dude at Oreillys than the other parts house).
So while I wait on that- I spent the day in the yard. It was supposed to be 30* but warmed up to 50*- I was sweating as I had put long johns on under my yard clothes.

I don’t have a sheet metal break. I have pieces of 1” steel square tube I use and clamp to my engine hoist. I have a nice Vice but it’s in the garage on the bench and going in and out of the house makes the dogs crazy.

Two UPS packages came in. One from RGmutchler (thank you!) who sent me the rear floor panel. Not much modification will need to be done on it for it to fit nicely.

The other was an MDJuan transmission floor pan. Mine has massive rust holes all over it and is foil thin. The MDJuan one doesn’t line up the holes right.

Checking fit and alignment,,, mix of old and new metal.

By 8pm, the cold chill returned and it was time to call it a night.
I got the floors cut, the rear hump tacked in (I need to do a few rust repairs on that still where I cut out two small chunks of rust, I filled a few rust holes (drilled the rust hole bigger and plug filled it).
Tool box fits okay. I had to do a little bending at the corner where the machine stamp doesn’t round it enough to fit in tight.

The MDJuan panel reminds me of hole punching paper stacks. Have too many in a stack when trying to punch a hole, only for the ones on the bottom to get distorted and then just saying whatever....

I need a gas tank still.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was not as productive as I had hoped it would be. I did button up the tunnel. All the pin holes were welded up. The cross brace was welded in under the floor attaching the two hat channels together.

I spent a lot of time under the Jeep in the dirt filing holes. I am not a professional welder. I am using flux core wire due to the windy conditions, I prefer my gas set up, but it just doesn’t work well outside here.
Grind down the bubblegum high spots. I will be putting seam sealer on all the pinch welds, then I am going to apply Monstaliner bed coating to the underside of the body tub. I did this same thing on my 63 F100 and it is very durable. The texture is not terrible. I can control the texture by application practices. I prefer the smoother finish.
Tomorrow I need to do a set of brakes for the CRV owner. She pays for parts and for my time, which pays for my projects. (Did I mention I need a gas tank... md juan is proud of that 450$ tank). Still waiting on parts for the CRV suspension repairs.

Waiting on a rear seat, driver seat, rear seat mounts, windshield channel and windshield bolt. I swear- I ordered the windshield channel in May... was told several times it’s shipping by the end of the month... I may say screw it and buy the nos one off eBay.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April,
I’m sorry about the MD Juan issues. One of their reps was on here a few years ago soliciting info to make their products better. Guess that didn’t happen.

The only thing that makes sense to me is back in the dim, foggy, someone in the Philippines decided to start making replacement jeep parts to fit a tub and/or frame that was in their hands.

So, everything they make comes from tooling based on that one unit.

I may be off base but that is the only thing that makes sense.
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren’t wrong. The repop panels never seem to be perfect.
Maybe I have an older repop. C&c equipment sold this one on eBay. I only needed the trans panel, my cover and top were fine. But you can see the top of the new one is 1” off all around.

I have read the discussion on here regarding the repopulated tank. I’m planning on getting one.
Someone must have had their ears burning because this morning I got the ups confirmation that my windshield channel was shipped and should be here any day.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repop panels that MD Juan makes seem to be made to fit their bodies which aren't exact matches for the original. i bought both MD Juan stuff and Classic Enterprises panels and compared them, and wrote a comparison a few years ago. The MD Juan stuff, whether lower cowl, upper cowl support etc were no where close while the Classic Enterprises stuff and the parts made by John Bizel at Midwest Mil. fit almost perfectly, with very little or no adjustment. Unfortunately not all panels are made by these US concerns. Additionally front floors and front floor and firewall that are NOS are available and fit exactly. They cost a little more but not having to rebuild and do major refit work is worth the few bucks more.
I also understand the there is a company in Australia that makes good repop stuff for at least the MB and GPW that is imported by G503, Ron Fitzpatrick.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 9 of 43

Jump to: