Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 points replacement - terminal screw access?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 points replacement - terminal screw access?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: M38A1 points replacement - terminal screw access? Reply with quote

A previous post on this topic identified the same challenge, but a solution was not explained.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11247

The author stated: "what is especially hard to get at it is that terminal screw. I cannot use a screw driver to remove the screw because the screw head is below the edge of the distributor.
Perhaps I can remove the screw with a small ignition wrench, but cannot replace the screw with it."

I have the same challenge. There is ridge on the distributor housing preventing access to the screw with a screw driver. The screw is below the edge of the distributor housing ridge.
Am I missing something simple?
Does the entire top plate need to be removed or rotated just to change the points?

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have several choices. Sometimes you can rotate the advance plate slightly and get a regular common screwdriver blade on the slot at a slight angle or you can invest in a multitude of specialty offset drivers.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the first three tools shown. No space.
Not enough clearance between distributor ridge and terminal screw.
Turning the advance plate clockwise might move the screw past the ridge for access with a screwdriver.
How do you turn the advance plate clockwise?
Do you have to remove the two screws indicated in first post photo?

Do you know the size if the terminal screw head? Is it 1/4 inch?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you need set #4

https://www.ebay.com/i/324147499433?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I keep all the sets shown in my tool box. I do not recall ever having to spend more than a couple of minutes removing that screw. If you wish you can remove the rotor and the two plate screws/retainers and lift the plate enough to get that terminal screw out. I believe it's a #8 screw which would use a 5/16" socket normally but you still have no room for the socket.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cabinfever

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did so I will never have this problem again was to replace the ring terminals on the coil wire and the condenser wire with fork terminals.

Now I never have to remove the terminal screw in order to remove or attach the wires.

Just loosen the screw with an ignition wrench and the wires will easily pull out or slip back into place without removing the screw.

Use the same ignition wench to tighten the screw.

Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My terminal screw is a good 15 degrees counterclockwise from that pictured. It is completely behind the ridge on the distributor housing, making it very difficult to access.
Your picture shows a terminal screw with much easier access. Is the photo from an M38A1 distributor? Wonder why the difference?
cabinfever

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just borrowed that photo from Wes K. The terminal screw on my M38A1 distributor is like yours. It took me hours to get the screw back into place after the first time I removed it with an ignition wrench.

The second time I removed it is when I changed the wire connector ends. Now I will never have to remove the terminal screw again, thank goodness!

Actually, it was a bit easier getting the terminal screw started the second time without any of the wires attached.
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rotate the viewing angle of Jeepdaddy's distributor to match my photo both appear to be exactly alike except for that small empty hole I have marked.

The level of difficulty would be exactly the same from this view.

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neiko low clearance screw driver arrived today. Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try and change the points and condenser - after I get my rings freed up (hopefully).
Waiting for warmer weather, hands too cold for delicate work in cold garage. Finally above zero today - nice! Thanks for the excellent photo comparison.
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my condenser and points all came with fork terminals but could be mistaken.

An easy field expedient to make one from the other is to use a sharp pair of side-cutting wire pliers. Two snips to open the ring just wide enough to fit.

And I always thought a snipped ring terminal fit a round screw better than a straight fork terminal. Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

45auto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the situation--you are trying to remove the small bolt where the points, condenser and primary wire all connect.

Looking at the points sets and condenser I use, they all have the forked terminal ends so All you have to do is loosen the bolt, not remove it, with an ignition wrench and slip the points and condenser wire out and replace the same way. A little bit of jugging, but not hard. I use the Heavy Duty Standard Blue Streak points and condenser which have the forked terminal. There are others that have the eyelet but they are usually off shore brands. Blue Streak points and condensers are pricey but I have had excellent results (years of service) and keep a few sets on hand for new projects and if I ever need a replacement.

Standard Blue Streak Breaker Points AL-4556XP
Standard Blue Streak Condenser AL-111X
MVPA #6833
1945 GPW
1950 CJV-35/U
1951 M38 1952 M38
1962 USMC Contract M38A1
1953 Strick M100 1967 Johnson M416
1968 CJ5 4-Speed 1969 CJ5 V6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: