Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 engine diagnostic tests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 engine diagnostic tests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes. This M38A1 is new to us. My son and I are learning, but nearing the end of our skills and tools. Unfortunately, it has been too cold to drive it (WI). The Jeep has had little use in recent years, maybe driving it more will help to re-seat the rings, reduce the foul exhaust smell and improve the starting (now there is some wishful thinking!). Even working on it in our 20 degree garage is a challenge.

Some good news, I repaired a frayed insulation/damaged wire to positive coil terminal and we have a nice blue spark now!

Will keep learning and trouble shooting. Really appreciate your help. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in Southern WI? I had -17 here this morning in Holcombe, WI!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir, Madison area is tropical today at zero. I spend time in Hayward (where my sister lives) and we have some land near Park Falls, not too far from you. It was -26 degrees there recently.

Will send a pm.
cobra5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeepdaddyRC

I apologize for not getting back into this thread sooner. Looks like some others have stepped in and got you on the right track. Good job on getting that wire fixed and now hopefully that will put the fouled plug issue to rest. Stay warm and keep up the good work.
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeated the leak down test with better gauges per Wes's suggestion. Here are the results:

Cylinder.........Air in (gauge 1)......Air out (gauge 2)....Sound from
1......................80 psi.....................77 psi...............oil filler
2......................80 psi.....................76 psi...............oil filler
3......................80 psi.....................52 psi...............oil filler
4......................80 psi.....................34 psi...............oil filler

So I have 2 strong cylinders, and 2 weaker ones (3 and 4)? This seems to support the compression test. The leakage is apparently at the rings/cylinder wall. No sound from carb, tailpipe, adjacent cylinder or radiator during testing. The previous compression test results were 125, 122, 95, 85 respectively (see post 1).

Here is the leak down tester I used this time. Much better quality.

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When pressure testing #3 cylinder, the sound of escaping air seemed to change when covering the #4 cylinder spark plug hole with my finger. I could not feel pressure against my finger, so I placed a small piece of paper over the hole, I could see it flutter slightly. I thought this indicated the head gasket was compromised between cylinder #3 and #4 and could explain the lower compression in those adjoining cylinders.

To confirm a bad head gasket, I expected a similar situation when pressurizing #4 cylinder. However, no air escaped from #3 cylinder spark plug hole when pressurizing #4. No movement of paper over spark plug hole. No air in radiator for either #3 or #4.

This has me confused. Any thoughts?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way air movement indicates that there is no bad head gasket. It would be both ways if the gasket was damaged.

Look at your readings. 3 is almost 20 PSI tighter sealed then 4. Therefore when you pressurized 3 it's ring bypass air found it fairly easy to slip right past # 4's rings but when you pressurized # 4 it was not as easy to sneak past #3's rings.

You have completed all the needed tests and the tests indicate that your only structural issue is with the rings on #3 & #4. The next step is to remove the head and pan and remove #3 & #4 pistons and visually inspect the condition of the rings, seats and cylinder walls.

The symptoms displayed by #3 & #4 are indicative of anyone or any combination of the following issues:

1 - Stuck ring (stuck in piston groove in a compressed position)
2 - Broken ring
3 - Excessive piston to cylinder bore clearance.
4 - Scored or corroded cylinder wall.
5 - Structural failure of a piston. (Hole burned in it.)

These are problems that require significant mechanical skill sets and tooling.

Had your leak down test indicated a bad head gasket or stuck/not sealing valve the solution would have been an easier path.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes for the help, patience and great explanation.
Putting some PB Blaster in cylinders - a little each day for 5 days - and moving crank back and forth slightly to encourage rink soak/penetration.
I realize it's a long shot to free up the rings, but worth a try. It's really all I have left with my skill level and tools.
When weather warms will try starting and hope for some improvements (wishful thinking).
If issues persist, looks like time to hand off to a pro that can refresh this engine.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a little trick we used with aircraft engine leakdown checks that is not difficult when you are positioning the piston at TDC compression using the leverage of the propeller. This is much more difficult to do with an automobile engine where the only place to gain leverage is the crankshaft pulley nut with a breaker bar. But it can be done.

It is called popping the rings. We advance the piston up towards TDC compression and stop just before or right at TDC. Then apply the 80 PSI. If we have a ring leaker then we pop or rock the rings in their seats by leaving the 80 PSI coming in and advance the piston slightly past TDC and then abruptly rotating it back to TDC. This will often reset or recock the offending loose or stuck ring to a better sealing angle to both the cylinder wall and the ring groove. The danger involved is letting the leverage tool slip from your grip.

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirted a little PB blaster into the weaker cylinders with the goal to free up any stuck rings - in case that is causing the lower compression. Wiggled the cylinders up and down for good penetration. Repeated for 4 days.
Now moving to Ford Type F ATF for a longer soak of a few days.
An older machine shop gentlemen suggested a top end soak using GM-3015.
It is a top end de-carbonizer. Apparently GM-3015 is pretty caustic and potent stuff. Need to change the oil if I use it.
All residual fluid in cylinders will be sucked out with a MightyVac (or similar) to reduce any chance of hydro-locking before attempting to start.
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to free possible stuck piston rings in grooves:
2 piston soaks for 2 days each using PB Blaster (in 2 lower compression cylinders).
Then used Ford Type F ATF to soak pistons for 3 additional days.
I assumed the ATF would drain past the rings into crankcase. However, using a Mighty Vac sucked lots back thru the spark plug hole.
Turned engine over with plugs out to remove any residual to minimize chance of hydro lock.
Fired it up.
A real smoke show for 5 minutes.
Ran engine for 20 min at 2000 rpms.
Smoke ended. Ran well.
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the compression and leak-down test results now?

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD2,
Have not repeated compression or leak down tests yet.
Currently having spark issues. Trying to trouble shoot the distributor, coil, wires and plugs step by step.
It cranks for long periods without kicking over, even with gas directly in carb. Leads us to believe the spark is not being delivered to the cylinders correctly.
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for those that have followed my air, spark and fuel adventure.
After replacing ignition parts, it became clear that fuel delivery was also part of the problem. It was now possible to start it with gas sprayed into the carb throat (with choke and throttle open).
Fuel pump provided gas to the carb (4 psi) and float bowl was full, so I disassembled the Carter YS950S carb.
I discovered it was missing parts - the check ball and weight and the metering rod diaphragm spring. The accelerator pump and metering rod diaphragms were old, not pliable and in rough shape.
I used a rebuild kit was from Midwest Military (same as AJP) - a very complete kit for a comprehensive rebuild.
It runs.
Starting requires full choke and a little throttle.
This has not been driven much, so I am going to run it for awhile to see if rings might reseat.
JeepdaddyRC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This engine is timed at the #4 cylinder, how do you determine which is the cause:
1) the oil pump is clocked incorrectly or
2) the distributor cam is 180 degrees off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: