Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Oops What have I done! T-90 Rear Bearing Came Out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oops What have I done! T-90 Rear Bearing Came Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolpool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Oops What have I done! T-90 Rear Bearing Came Out Reply with quote

After reading in the TM-8012 to ensure the rear bearing stays in the transmission housing while separating the units, this rig decided to be a bear and pulled the bearing along with the t-case. It was really stuck in the t-case housing! What kinds of problems am I up to now getting it set back into the transmission?

And now I'm really confused when Rick Sivers keeps the bearing in the T-Case housing during his disassembly video on youtube? Which is correct?

Cheers, Pete
MVPA #36514
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the OEM directions assume a displacement of the tranny mainshaft & gears could possibly occur if the bearing doesn't stay firmly in place in the tranny case. I believe Rick Stivers has never had a problem letting the bearing fall out with the transfer so he ignores that little precaution in the manual. The choice is entirely yours however an extra set of hands are not always available during the transfer removal process to secure the bearing to the tranny for the final stage of the transfer withdrawal. If the bearing should follow the transfer the first step in the transfer re-installation is to ensure the bearing and shaft are correctly installed and aligned in the tranny.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
coolpool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger and completely understood, thanks Wes!
MVPA #36514
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you compared the U Tube video to his written procedures?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
coolpool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes, no I haven't but I did get the instructions from the Novak rebuild kit which helped out a ton as the pawls came apart also as I was getting things put back together. The inner roller bearings we're displaced when the shaft pulled aft and was why I couldn't get the shaft back in. I had to order a tub of "Assembly Goo" to hold them in place and it's now back together. As for the front gasket between the case and bell housing, the Canadian Parts manual shows a full face gasket goes in there but my replacement gasket only covers the the front stub part with the 4 holes and oil gallery. I cut a new full gasket but have not bolted on the bell housing yet. It looks to me I could get oil seepage from the 2 small allan key bolts and the one shaft end you can see if I don't use a full gasket?
MVPA #36514
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read the written version of Rick Stiver's procedures for both the tranny and the transfer.

http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90RebuildGuide/T90rebuild.htm

http://www.willystech.com/wt/Model18TCase/Model18TransferCase.html

I suggest you copy these guides and store them with your service manual.

Note: The guides advise you to ensure all threaded fasteners that pass thru the case should have a soft non-hardening sealer used with their threads. That includes your two Hex head fasteners.

Gasket item "S" is the correct gasket.

coolpool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, I'll be sure to get those guides to print! And yes I did apply sealer to the two hex head screws already; and I see the full face gasket in that manual too! I'll go with the full face gasket I cut out.
MVPA #36514
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: