Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1953 M38A1 PCV Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1953 M38A1 PCV Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lasmith03

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: 1953 M38A1 PCV Question Reply with quote

A customer brought us this 1953 M38A1 that he had "restored" at another shop. It was leaking oil out of every possible orifice. Turns out it didn't have the proper PCV setup and the head surface was warped. We sent the head off and had it planed and then painted it etc.

Now the question is about the PCV. I haven't found much on what would be correct if you didn't have the fording system. This jeep does not have it and the customer does not want it.

So do I just need to run the PCV out the tappet cover (like what's seen in most pics) to the port on the intake manifold below the carb?

Also, someone made their own intake crossover tube which I want to replace with the correct stuff. What was correct if you didn't have the fording system? do you just buy the crossover tube and remove the fording valve in it?

Lastly, the ports on the air cleaner that are normally used for fording/venting...do I just need to plug them?

Any help is appreciated. Just learning about these. My first one.

Lance Smith
Rocket City Customs
Huntsville, AL

mdainsd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard! Familiarize yourself with the photo galleries and the download section. Especially Wes' photo album, a huge wealth of information. The manuals for your Jeep are in the downloads.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lance,
The PCV works like any other vintage car PCV, nothing special. Make sure wherever it's installed it's clean and pointed in the right direction ---- it's a valve, there's only one way in and one way out. The military vent system does nothing but shut off outside air in order to pressurize the crankcase about 2psi to keep water out. When those two fording valves aren't closed it's a regular vintage car PCV system.

Leave out or bypass the fording valves, but make a complete circuit so the PCV operates the same way it would on the 1965 Ford F100 in your shop. Simple. Point the PCV in the wrong direction and you'll have issues you've seen before.

Buy a correct M38A1 crossover tube for the customer (available at several military jeep vendors) and hook it up without the valves. Plug any fording vent lines not used on the air filter or anywhere else, with caution. Brake master cylinder needs a vent is one example. So does fuel tank.

As mentioned, the tech manuals are available for free on the downloads page here, and if you use the search button above and type in "PCV" you'll get plenty of hits to read. There's plenty of info about every nut and bolt on the M38A1.

Because you're in business making money doing this for a customer, after a while we're going to expect you to pay a consult fee to help keep this forum going. Laughing

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a nice NOS crossover tube for the M38A1.........

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crossover-Tube-Original-NOS-Fits-Willys-M38A1-M170-jeep-F29/274648769475?hash=item3ff257a3c3:g:rdsAAOSwuqNf42Wg

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might also be helpful...….

https://cj3b.info/Tech/PCV.html

--- Enzo Ferrari

4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a great site Ron.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought so too Brian. Just trying to point out all the good info out there on this forum and others that can be had pretty easy just for looking.

Maybe Lance will come back and tell us if it helped him any. It was his first post. Might have scared him off by asking for a cut. Shocked Laughing He does take pretty good photos, which not many can do.

--- Enzo Ferrari

STXM38A1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wes' Library

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album138&id=Crossover_and_plumbing&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
lasmith03

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD2 wrote:
Yeah, I thought so too Brian. Just trying to point out all the good info out there on this forum and others that can be had pretty easy just for looking.

Maybe Lance will come back and tell us if it helped him any. It was his first post. Might have scared him off by asking for a cut. Shocked Laughing He does take pretty good photos, which not many can do.

Hey guys. Thanks for the help. Yeah I had already seen alot of that stuff and did my research before hand. That PCV tech info was new though. Its just some of the details I wasn't sure about.

I bought that NOS crossover tube and a PCV from the guy on ebay. I also found a few preformed NOS PCV lines on there too. Thought they might possibly save us some time if the connections work.

This jeep doesn't have a vacuum fuel pump but I figure as long as I run that PCV to the intake port it should pull enough vacuum. Then its just a matter of connecting up the rest of the crossover tube connections correctly. Everyone agree?

Since we aren't going with a fording system I think all I should need in addition to the PCV to intake would be the valve cover to oil cap and then oil cap to crossover tube connections and plug the rest. No?

Last edited by lasmith03 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
lasmith03

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STXM38A1,
What would C and V in that drawing be?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is lay the two illustrations out side by side.

"C" would be "H" and "V" would be "K".

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was my post deleted?
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. Thanks Wes.
STXM38A1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top two items are the specs on your "C" and "V" or "H" and "K" in Wes' clear illustration.

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: