Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel tank well for a M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel tank well for a M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doubleclutch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Fuel tank well for a M38A1 Reply with quote

This is more of an inquiry. I ordered and received a “USA made” fuel tank well for my unit. The tank well I received is badly twisted and is going to be a real chore to install straight. I asked the seller if this is how they all are? The response was “they are all made the same way”. So my question here is, has anyone else ordered a fuel tank well and was it twisted like mine? I’m not going to give a bad review at this time if being twisted is normal, which i find to be strange.
Thanks Dale.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,
I may be off here but all of the parts I’ve received from vendors listed as new look new. Even a few I’ve bought that were listed as takeoff were not off spec by much. Rust, a slightly bent corner, maybe oversized holes from drilling out spotwelds. There has only been one vendor in my memory who has shipped new parts, particularly sheet metal parts, that have been difficult to install because of incorrect dimensions, misalignment, twisting, bending, etc.

I am surprised with your “USA Made” note.

This particular vendor sources most of their parts overseas.

A suggestion. Maybe do a product review strictly from a facts standpoint and leave off any editorializing, and let the chips fall where they may.

We have a category specifically for parts review.

Sorry about your experience.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sheet metal parts, I recommend Classic Enterprises out of Wisconsin... Super materials and fit.

Only other place is Midwest Military for his M-38A1 Front floor pans. he adds the square cutouts for the cage nuts for the floor panels...

Have used both and all parts arrive in like new condition...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
Mike_B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "new" Classic Enterprises A1 tank well was twisted when I got it, but once installed it's perfect. I used a few small zip screws to hold all four sides in place before I started plug welding it in. If you can manually take the twist out it will be fine when installed. I had everything clamped in place (hat channel, floor pan, riser, tub sides and tank well) BEFORE I welded the first piece...turned out great I think!

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, Are you possibly describing shipping damage??

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Doubleclutch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, the shipping box was in perfect condition, not even a ding in a corner. The contents were package very well, lots of padding and nothing could shift. I will post pics when I get a chance.
Doubleclutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album746/image4.thumb.jpeg[img]
Fuel tank well picture.
Not that this can't be installed, it is just going to be a pain with no square point to start. I just think for a "quality reproduction" this is not quite there, and was curious about the comment of they are all made the same way. Not sure if I followed the posting picture guide properly, so I hope you can see it.
Mike_B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about the way mine looked. If you put it upside down on the floor can you make all four corners touch the floor with hand pressure? If so, it should be fine. Start with the tub and riser sides because they are both straight and square. Then work on the flat floor pan sides.

PM me your email if you want pictures of my tub with the well installed.

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
Doubleclutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_B wrote:
That's about the way mine looked. If you put it upside down on the floor can you make all four corners touch the floor with hand pressure? If so, it should be fine. Start with the tub and riser sides because they are both straight and square. Then work on the flat floor pan sides.

PM me your email if you want pictures of my tub with the well installed.

Mike B Smile

Thanks for offer Mike. I can twist this one back, or make the corners touch the floor as you say, but it takes a little more then hand pressure.
I will make this one work, cause with shipping, duty, taxes, blah, blah, blah, I’m not ordering another one. I was mostly just curios if all the new ones looked like mine.
G740

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tank well is manufacture by Midwest Military. During the manufacturing process, they get a twist in it. I have installed these myself and did one as recently as 30 days ago. Once clamped in place in the body, they are straight and fit just fine. We have been selling this tank well for 18 years now and have never had one returned because they could not install it.
John
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

Things have become a bit confusing here. Three tank wells have been discussed, MWM, Classic Enterprises and MD Juan. Can our original poster, Dale, help clear this up and ID the source of his tank well?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Doubleclutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank well is from Debella. This has nothing to do with John or Midwest. I was more interested in if the tank wells come twisted or not, by the sounds of it, they do.
Sorry if I was leading this post on towards you John or Midwest. This was not my intention. I just did not want to throw out an uniformed review. I personally just want the facts.
Thanks
Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: