Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Project Salty
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Salty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the measuring tape out.

If aftermarket you are looking at misalignment issues with filler spout, rear center mount tab and the screw hole spacing on the two tank openings for the sender and pickup.

Take a look at my MD Juan Tank Album. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album687&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Also look close at the insulating felt strip locations.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Gas Tank Reply with quote

Can you let us know how the gas tank fits? I just lined my original with POR15. We'll see how good a job I did and how long it lasts. I'm just curious about fitment of the repro tank. I haven't read good things.

Dave
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I’m going to give it a try. I haven’t even taken time to uncover my Jeep in the yard yet. Reluctant to as in 3 weeks I need to have it all covered up for another deployment. I got side tracked working on house projects and f100 truck stuff. I am transferring to the ugly sister ship of my current. She’s a year older and worse for wear. It’s a rinse and repeat of my last two years on the current one.

Off the bat I don’t like the filler neck of the tank . The tabs to help hold the cap on it are a little long and I can’t push the gas cap on. May need to trim it. The inside of the gas tanks is covered in grit that I will need to clean before I do anything in regards to filling with fuel.

I also find it annoying that I have to purchase the hardware separately from the tank. For the price you pay, they couldn’t add the 10 or so little screws for the sending unit and in tank filter system... nickel and dime to death.

Taking a week off work for all the above projects and this one. Will let you all know- though I may get deployed till August before I can do this stuff. Luck of the draw I was assigned to a ship whose schedule is opposite my current one.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on two 70 day deployments in this calendar year and I am exhausted. This past week I flew from GTMO Cuba to Baltimore for a week and will fly back to puerto rico to meet my ship. I am the Engineer Officer of a medium endurance Cutter and it hard to leave in the middle of a deployment.

In October 2020 I ordered a driver side seat frame. It arrived this week. kW suppliers are slow! I ordered about $1100 more in parts from various locations since this morning and hope I have better luck with the demand. I could be mad, but not. I have been gone a lot and have a lot more on my mind than the Jeep. Rescued another mini-schnauzer I named Kaiser a week before I deployed, he is a love bug and is fitting right in to my schnauzer house,

The MDJuan seat frame appears to fit fine. I have the gas tank to fit under it to be sure but I am finally get moving on it when I return from deployment.
I have spent about 7k on parts for my Salty. I paid 1200 for the heap it was. Much more to come.

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
mdainsd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing fine! Salty will be there when you are ready. Maybe a tip? Dont add up what you are spending right now. Its a lot easier to swallow after you are driving it around. Wink
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've been having reasonable success with the repro parts. Have you found a vendor that you think is better than others?
I've had mixed success with KW parts but generally good success with AJP, DeBella, and Midwest Military. Their products seem to be much better fits and matches, but I haven't yet had to deal with any tub or body panel replacements.
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a bit of a cart before the horse here..... Have a few weeks lead time on the canvas seat cushions and summer top.

Went it’s grey canvas all around. The top bows are enroute since my dad is still here he can help me install that. I could do it myself but why struggle when you can get help.

Spent last two days off wiring up dash cameras on my other cars. It’s too dang hot in VA right now. I was out there sweating bullets lying under the dashboards of the truck and sedan finding switched power and battery pos power for the power modules

I will be home in a few weeks and can finish welding up the tub. I have a few pin holes in the toe boards to patch, some rust in the front fenders, and brackets that hold the fenders on. Will modify and patch the front floor panel as well. The MDJuan panel is garbage, but not worthy of the trash can yet,

When the weather is nice, I will seam seal and spray with oxide primer.

I have had mixed results from all suppliers. I’ve spent the most at KaiserWillys, but most body panels I got from Classic enterprises.
A few things on eBay are mix of MDJuan and NOS.

This is not a 100% restoration. This is my way of making a cool military Coastie Jeep my service old timers would have made from spare parts stollen from anywhere they could get them.

I once served at a LORAN station in the Arctic of Alaska. There was an old Jeep buried in the tundra. I wish I had kept a photo of it. But that was in the early days of us being able to get digital photos. It was an old MB and painted grey... from what was left of it.....

This is a photo of a CG Jeep in the Korean War.

This was left over of a Jeep a group of Coastie made when the tub was so rusted it wasn’t salvageable,

LORAN Station Coastie somewhere out in the South Pacific in the 60’s did this To a CJ,

And a funny story from Facebook. In short, The Coastie s in Vietnam needed a Jeep to run convoys so they stole an army Jeep, painted it CG grey and put DOT plates and all kinds of numbers on it. Painted the other Jeep green with security police on front, MPs came around looking for the stollen Jeep but didn’t look at the grey one, only the green and compared numbers.. which didn’t match their missing Jeep. Had they looked at the grey one, they would have been caught.

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdainsd wrote:
You are doing fine! Salty will be there when you are ready. Maybe a tip? Dont add up what you are spending right now. Its a lot easier to swallow after you are driving it around. Wink

You right... the pain only starts with adding it up.
I stopped looking at cost of the f100 build about 2 years into that build. I’m almost two years into this m38 build now.

I’ve spent a lot... good thing I don’t have to ask anyone else’s permission to spend.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got outside in the heat today and did a little putzing around... there may have been some high octane by yuengling in a can for this too.

I did order a top bows system for the jeep. I want to put a top on it.

The hardware store only has 3/4 long bolts so i will need to grind this down. I dont intend to take it off (the brackets) again.

I did prime them earlier in the day. (on the inboard side)

Test fit earlier

I also test fit my MD Juan gas tank.
Seemed to fit fine.

The seat needs a little mod. I may just throw a spacer under the legs of the seat and raise it up just a little to give it room between the frame of the seat and the tank.

I am not too pleased with the tailgate (MD Juan M38 tailgate). I need to find Wes's measurements for drilling through my tailgate to get the spare tire mount to work.

Just working here and there. My dad is still in town for another week till he returns home. The parents are taking turns coming out here to my house to watch the dogs. Hilda, Diesel and Kaiser are too important to me to put them up for adoption- so they help and put up with me.

be back tomorrow with more.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is part you may or not be missing in your top bow assortment. There is a U shaped bracket that goes over the triangle mount on the passenger side only.
???

[/img]
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coastie,
You might want to fit your fuel pickup and sender caps and lines to the tank before deciding on how high your seat spacers need to be. They need some clearance. Just guessing by your photo, maybe 2 inches (especially at the rear of the seat)?

If you need any measurements or photo's let me know.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdainsd wrote:
There is part you may or not be missing in your top bow assortment. There is a U shaped bracket that goes over the triangle mount on the passenger side only.
???

I looked in Miller’s book, for the top bow bracket on page 161, and did not see a cover for it.

Wes- thank you for posting the measurement photos. Very helpful.

Have intentions of working on it a little today. Going to be a really gross hot day again.
Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rushed out of the yard this morning due to a east moving thunder/lightning storm that rolled in.

Messed with the front driver seat. It actually will work without having to modify anything.

The inboard front post matches up with the hole that was already in the floor (a floor I got used) and I straightened out the fender bracket piece and marked the fender where it will need to go.

These photos show how the chair will sit. Not perfect but not terrible.

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
CoastieReid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the measurements for the tailgate; thanks Wes,
How about the rear seat bracket locations?
I am looking around now.

Hood # 20942580
L134 # MC 91518

M100 trailer #01279054
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 13 of 42

Jump to: