Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Project start up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project start up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphonzo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Project start up Reply with quote

My M38 has sat for more years than it saw in service. Not quite , but today , Labor Day 2021 , it breathed new life! Though not complete it did run . My question is not to sell but to save .my mechanics ability go as far as basic tune up / maintenance , thank fully I don’t throw things out , I was able to reuse old plugs that have seen better days , the others weren’t sparking .it seems when it gets to temp . It bogs down and quits. No vent system in place ,no crossover tube for carb. Bluish smoke from exhaust .
Most of the vent system is capped distributor is invented. Any help is welcome thanks in advance.I’ve owned since 2008 . Not a lot of extra income .
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can save it and do most of the work. I took 10 years to restore my M-38CDN. First off start out with something that takes priority (Motor, axles, whatever) then do your homework and find out what needs to be done. Then find what special tools you might need and see where to acquire them (DO NOT Look Harbor Freight as cheap, they are good tools and will do for a shade tree mechanic, I buy there to save cash). Next take your look and see what parts you might need, bearings, shims gaskets, etc. Then budget for the task.

I did my restoral on $140 per month allowance from the wife's household fund. If a large amount is needed, say 4 tires then talk it over with the wife and have her set funds aside till the FUNDS are available then buy.

It can be done and you will just have to learn patience and spend time learning the books and parts manuals... Cold winter nights are great for this... among other things... Smile

Set your mind to it and learn how to weld at a community Vo-tech, it will give you much more pride in the project and satisfaction that YOU did it...

Good luck and give it a go...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
alphonzo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my goal . Just hearing it run started something in my heart that it’s never too late , Never quit ,one thing at a time.
alphonzo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hal.yes tires , not till running , has ‘1952’ tires all around
Decent tread.
alphonzo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a reboot of a project started in 2008 not new project . Photos in my album
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphonzo,
To get back to your question, What has been done to your engine thus far? IE has it just been rebuilt or has any recent major repairs been performed on it?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
alphonzo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes , no engine work done other than new fuel pump and radiator. All 24 v system intact I started taking apart to have it painted a few years ago and it has just sat like that till recent . Low funds. Still not painted but I want to resume restoration . I bought two batteries last week and got it running yesterday , No vent system . Mostly complete , no tailgate no top . Will it run without vent system ? Thanks Al
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it often will run without vent system but I would need to see the engine and note any and all missing parts, incorrect parts etc. before I could help you out. To offer troubleshooting directions at this point is unwise and would not help you much.

Some steps you should take to improve your local restoration efforts:

1 - Find a friend with significant mechanical skills.
2 - Visit with your local MV club branch.
3 - If you do not already have a complete set of manuals just download the PDF versions free here on this web site.
4 - Find access to or purchase the basic troubleshooting tools/test equipment. IE compression & leak down testers, Timing Light, Vacuum/Pressure gauge, dwell/tachometer, volt-ohm-amp meter and the list will grow as you become proficient at using these tools.
5 - Go on line and search for old US Army Motor Pool Training manual sets and a 1950/60's copy of the old reliable US Army TM 9-8000 Principals of Automotive Vehicles manual.

These will point you in the right direction.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
alphonzo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes . I have copies of TM 9-1804A ,TM 9-8012,ORD7 and ORD 9 I have photos of engine and jeep in gallery page 10 third row down 12 . It shows a carter carb but I have the correct carb on now , can’t seem to update photos .
jake138
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphonzo,

I moved this thread from the Technical Knowledge Board to the Project Threads as it sounds more like this will become your build thread, and is gearing away from a specific question. If you have a question in particular that pertains to an aspect of your build, I would recommend searching the TKB first and then posting a new thread there. Until then, this is a great place for you to start posting pictures of what you have, and then from there we can all start talking about what you have and where you would like to go.
alphonzo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jake. Will get new pictures soon. Al
ocwd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: M38 Info Reply with quote

I actually found that using a Google search is more helpful. Most of the time the results are for this forum.
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put a link to your photo album in your signature, makes it easy to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: