Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Oil pump removal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil pump removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Investig8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Oil pump removal Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am tearing down the L-134 flathead engine in my M-38 so it can go to the machine shop. I've had no trouble with any of it except I am stumped on removal of the oil pump. I removed the flat cover plate and a section of the pump, which fell out. The inner shaft and gear is still inside the block as well as the portion of the casing the flat cover plate bolts to. I'm afraid to get very "persuasive" with it. Help...
Thanks, Dennis
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point all you have are the five bolts for the lid and the drive gear race. You must remove the pump body to block bolt then remove the body of the pump which has the driven gear in it off the block. You should really be using TM 9-1804A M38 Engine Service Manual while doing this.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Investig8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes, I was not aware of the manual, but will certainly get one. In this case, the pump is not breaking loose from the block and I didn't want to break something trying to break it loose. The manual makes it clear that there is nothing else holding it once I got the cover plate and gear out. I'll try some penetrating oil for a day or so then give it another go.
Thanks again...
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
I read your reply to Wes and was unsure if you understood that the is one bolt on on the oil pump ear that also holds it to the block. Only 2 of the cover bolts go through to the block. All three must be removed to take out the pump.
While I won't use Kaiser Willys if you look up an oil pump on their site you can see the location of the ear and the three bolts that hold it to the block.
If I over interpreted you earlier response disregard.
Ralph
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Investig8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen, I did remove the bolt and tab on the block side of the pump. After your input and the exploded view provided, I gently pried the shaft downward in the tappet access area and after a nudge or two, she fell right out. This block had been open to the elements for several years so I'm sure it had begun to rust to the block. Thanks again for your knowledge and enjoy the weekend!
Dennis
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis Haas,

The cover plate has 5 screws. Two of them go thru the pump body and into the block. There is a sixth screw that only fastens the pump body to the block. You have probably not uncovered it and removed it yet. The parts illustration can be misleading since it shows 5 holes in the cover plate and only shows 3 short screws. It also shows the single hole in top of body edge but shows no bolt for it.

The ORD 9 SNL G-740 for the M38 is even worse. Below you can see that I have added the 4th, 5th and 6th bolts to the illustration. At least they are already listed in the parts list on page 42.

So' Don't pry untill you have 6 bolts laying on the bench!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
charlesfitton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and don't forget to time it when you put it back in...

and other green crap...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: